Mothering Forum banner

Any Phoenix area mamas willing to take a look at my yard?

647 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Kino 
#1 ·
Hey Mamas,
We live in Mesa, AZ (zone 9) and I need some serious plant help. I'm including pictures of our front and back yard. They were taken at around 3pm. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...albumview=grid

I'm planning on keeping the 4 trees that line the back yard and the two Texas sagebrush on either side of the yard but other than that, everything else can go.

I really hate the hibiscus next to the play house and the bougainvillea in the middle of the trees.

I was thinking of taking the hibiscus out and planting pomegranate bushes on either side of the yard but, other than that, I have no idea????

Also, in the front yard, I'm in an HOA so I have to replace a tree on the left side of the house which as you can see is in between two 2 story houses and is on the east side so it doesn't get a ton of sun. I also have to replace a couple other plants - specifically on the right side right in front of the column by the front door and by the wall to the right of the front window.

I'm completely clueless about all this and my DH want's nothing to do with it. I've tried talking to the nursery people but, they are really no committal and won't give concrete answers. Any suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
HI, Im in phx but ducked outta my HOA a few years ago so I dont know how strict your rules are. I know you say you want a 'plant' in front of the column in the front yard. IMO how about a hanging wreath? or something on the arch ? I dont think you need anything next to the front window since you have a tree a short distance infront of that area.

I love the pooch

For the backyard would you consider some container plants/flowers to add COLOR?? The thing I totally hate about living here is the bland colors....I cant get flowers to grow in the ground but in pots/containers with miracle grow type soil i have much better luck...

#3 ·
Wow I'm just staring at all that grass and rock

What are you wanting for the back? Shade, fruit trees, garden(s)?

And the front? Natives? Those existing bushes don't look like natives from afar... Who cares for the front, the HOA? Are you ok with that or want to take over?

I could ask a bunch more questions, but stopping there LOL. I'm trained as a landscaper and do my own yard. I am willing to come by if you want an in-person consult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.