You're gonna love this one - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-29-2002, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I planted peppers. Hot peppers. From a mixed seed pack of the "five favorite hots". Does anyone already see the punchline coming? I have a pepper growing but since I don't know what kind it is I don't know how to tell when to pick it! Will it fall off when it is ripe?

I feel such a moron!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-29-2002, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check the ones at the grocery store to see which come closest!
#3 of 11 Old 04-29-2002, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

hhmm... but they aren't under-ripe, ya know? I mean, it could be a yellow hungarian... if it turns yellow I'm home free! Or it could be an anaheim or a jalapeno or red cayenne... so if its a red cayenne and I pick it still green cuz I think it's an anaheim... aaaaRrrrrrggggg.. I just feel like a knucklehead. I expect if I just watch it to make sure it doesn't rot on the vine or something I will notice when it stops changing completely! The only one of the five I'm certain it ISN'T is the cherry pepper cuz the shape is already wrong.
#4 of 11 Old 04-29-2002, 06:26 PM

I've grown jalepeno and serrano peppers before. Even though you can pick when they are green, they are also really good red. In fact, I actually prefer a red jalepeno. The taste is more mature. And cayenne is a much narrower pepper, I think. Good luck.
#5 of 11 Old 04-29-2002, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I don't think I will buy mixed seed packs in the future!
#6 of 11 Old 05-01-2002, 01:42 AM

part of the problem with mixed seed pkts is that peppers cross-polenate. you shouldn't plant differant kinds next to each other.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#7 of 11 Old 05-01-2002, 09:55 PM

I used to run an organic garden and we used to plant all kinds of peppers together. Planting different varieties together is only a problem if you are planning on saving seeds, otherwise they grow and produce very well side by side.

The peppers you listed are actually pretty easy to tell apart. Anaheim and Yellow Hungarian are similar, but usually identifiable by color fairly early in development. The others have very distinct shapes.

Anaheim - long, tapered, turns from green to red when ripe
Yellow Hungarian - long, tapered, turns light green early, then yellow, then orange/red
Jalapeno - short, smooth, plump and stubby, turns from dark green to red
Red Cayenne - very thin and long, turns from green to red
Cherry - small, round, turns from green to red

If you need visual aids, check out Burpee.com. They show pictures of all of these varieties. Good luck!

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
#8 of 11 Old 05-03-2002, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Wow Dash's mama! Thanks! I'm gonna guess it is a yellow hungarian based on your descriptions because it is a pale green now. I was thinking that once I knew which was which I would save the seeds.... then I would have seeds for next year and know which was which! Oh well!
#9 of 11 Old 05-14-2002, 04:15 AM

Found this thread at last! I knew it was in here somewhere. I have a question about chillis. This should probably go in good eating.

I got some assorted chilli peppers from the organic store today. They were really cheap & I'm quite into chilli so I'm planning on saving the seeds for next year. They are fresno, serrano, jalepeno, habanero & santa fe chillies. Can anyone tell me how hot each one is ? I'm guessing the serranos are pretty hot since they are small & red. I think the habaneros are also really hot but I have no clues about the others, short of doing a taste test.
#10 of 11 Old 05-15-2002, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

I found a page that shows a bunch of different peppers and their Scoville ratings.

Habanero is the hottest at 100,000-300,000 SU
Serrano is 10,000-23,000 SU
Jalapeno is 2500-5000 SU

It doesn't mention sante fe or fresno, but it does have pictures, so if they are known by a different name that might help. Also, you could ask the produce guy at your market. They often know. He may also know if they go by other names.

Oh! This other site lists "sante fe grande at 500-750 SU. There are far more ratings listed there but no pics. Good luck!
#11 of 11 Old 05-15-2002, 05:07 PM

Thanx heaps Kama These look a bit more accurate.

Subsequent to posting this I found some writing on the packs which was a scale out of 10. They were marked as follows :

habanero 11/10
serrano 6/10
jalapeno 7/10
santa fe 5/10
fresno 5/10

I won't disagree with the habanero since they have a reputation. I tried a bit of serrano coz I figured, milder than a jalapeno..... it was hot. So I used some fresno in the chilli I made last night. It was about as hot - if not more so, than the serrano. I just munched a bit of santa fe & it had a bit of bite,spice & flavour but was not tongue numbing material like the fresno & serrano were.

All I need now is some more nice vegan mexican recipes. Actually any vegan recipes using chillis I think I'll start a post in the good eating forum.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page