Zone 3-5 Gardeners Early 2010 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post
There are also something called floating row covers. They allow the sun and water to reach the plant, but not pests.
Floating row covers (what some folks call Reemay) are the bomb. But of course you have to get them on BEFORE the bugs show up, otherwise you're just trapping them inside with their lunch.

We are getting some crazy warm weather here, and there are no nighttime freezes forecast for the next 10 days. I am starting to think crazy early planting thoughts, somebody talk me down!!

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 01:09 PM

Zone 5 here (I think). I am planning to plant some cool weather crops this w/e from seed; lettuce, carrots, spinach, radishes.

I am still in the process of weeding the garden so I can actually do that. It's supposed to be close to 80 degreess then next few days!!

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post
I tried using this one year, and it turned out that my cat loves it! She ate any plant that I sprayed it on. I have a very strange cat.
My cat is like that too...she's a nut.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
Old 04-02-2010, 11:48 PM

Can I join?

Im a zone 3 gardener. We plant all of our veggies in raised beds (3.5 feet off the ground) and plant flowers directly in the earth for the most part. The flowers/grasses we have planted are perennials or reseeding annuals.

Right now we have a bunch of tomatoes plants started (14 varieties), heirloom zucchini, squash, watermelon, cucumbers and a couple other edibles. We're also trying our luck at starting some wildflowers indoors.

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

Old 04-03-2010, 10:35 PM

Hi!! I'm in zone 5 I guess. I usually plant most things in my garden around memorial day, but with the weather we have been having it might be earlier this year! Right now I have a bunch of broccoli seedlings, 1 pumpkin, a whole lot of snapdragons (that I have been putting off thinning, I hate that)
buttercrunch lettuce, and I am waiting on basil and lavenger to germinate. Just planted some nasturtium seeds. And will start my tomatoes and zucchini this week. And hope to direct sow peas, beans, cukes, beets, and some flowers- zinnias and cosmos. This is the first year I am trying lettuce and flowers.

has anyone grown tomatoes in pots? I always grow waaaay to many tomatoes than we actually want to eat and they are such a pain to weed around. I was thinking of having a couple big pots with tomatoes and herbs growing in them.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 PM

Hi there!

I'm not actually growing at home b/c we live in a condo. My brother & his girlfriend have offered me space in their garden (it is huge b/c they live on a farm) yay!! It looks like they are zone 4b in Ontario, it was a mennonite farm so I'm excited that the soil should be fairly organic. It is an 1 1/2 drive to get there unfortunately, but we're still so excited to finally have a garden!!

I haven't gardened since I grew up on a farm many years ago, so I'm starting "green" so to speak.

Does anyone in Canada/Ontario have a good organic seed co. they order from? I found one site through google, but always like word of mouth if possible.

I'm just trying to put together a list of things I would like to plant right now.

I hope no one minds that I might have more questions than helpful answers at the moment

I don't think I can start much indoors unfortunately b/c our condo faces north so we don't get a lot of direct sun or can I?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:54 AM

I live in Northern Colorado and am trying an interesting method to get some early starters going. I got the tip from Mother Earth News:

Milk Jug Cold Boxes

Cut gallon milk or juice jugs in half (use semi-transparent ones, not the solid colored ones like Minute Maid uses).

Fill bottom half with good soil and sow seeds according to package directions.

Water and put top half back on, taping closed around the cut edges.

Put in warm sunny spot.

This supposedly works great for starting early seeds and plants, and works like a mini-greenhouse. I started mine on Saturday with:
Carrots
Cauliflour
Eggplant
Hot Peppers
Collards
various herbs.

I will let you know how it turns out, hopefully by the time they sprout and grow a little the threat of snow here will be over, but in CO, you never know.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
Old 04-06-2010, 02:13 AM

I;m going to try that with my seedlings since i am starting them late this year- hope to get to them in the next two days...
I was in the grocery store (its a 1/2 hour way) and successfully resisted buying more seeds today.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:20 AM

Great thread, subbing so I can come back during daylight hours and read it all! We were actually going to buy seeds tonight, then I remembered I have done NOTHING to prepare the garden spot we had last year, lol. Derh! We did on the other hand buy a couple flower seeds, DD is uber excited to grow anything!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensearth View Post
Can I join?

Im a zone 3 gardener. We plant all of our veggies in raised beds (3.5 feet off the ground) and plant flowers directly in the earth for the most part. The flowers/grasses we have planted are perennials or reseeding annuals.

Right now we have a bunch of tomatoes plants started (14 varieties), heirloom zucchini, squash, watermelon, cucumbers and a couple other edibles. We're also trying our luck at starting some wildflowers indoors.
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
Hi!!
has anyone grown tomatoes in pots? I always grow waaaay to many tomatoes than we actually want to eat and they are such a pain to weed around. I was thinking of having a couple big pots with tomatoes and herbs growing in them.
Hi a lot of my neighbors grow tomatoes in plastic bins and swear by it. They also put a tube down to the roots so when they water it never touches the plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmum View Post
Hi there!

Does anyone in Canada/Ontario have a good organic seed co. they order from? I found one site through google, but always like word of mouth if possible.
Hi I don't know of any in Canada, but I ordered all of my seeds from a company called Baker Creek. They are all Heirlooms and I am pleased with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COgirl19 View Post
I live in Northern Colorado and am trying an interesting method to get some early starters going. I got the tip from Mother Earth News:

Milk Jug Cold Boxes

Cut gallon milk or juice jugs in half (use semi-transparent ones, not the solid colored ones like Minute Maid uses).

Fill bottom half with good soil and sow seeds according to package directions.

Water and put top half back on, taping closed around the cut edges.

Put in warm sunny spot.

This supposedly works great for starting early seeds and plants, and works like a mini-greenhouse. I started mine on Saturday with:
Carrots
Cauliflour
Eggplant
Hot Peppers
Collards
various herbs.

I will let you know how it turns out, hopefully by the time they sprout and grow a little the threat of snow here will be over, but in CO, you never know.
Great tip I love Mother Earth News.

I started my seeds in peat pots this year. I just put them in over the weekend. I don't have a heat mat, so I put the in plastic bags and tied them at the top? See how that works. I don't like plastic bags but I didn't know what else to do.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 AM

So I spent weeks pouring over my favourite website choosing heirloom seeds to plant. I narrowed it down to 40. Yesterday who shows up? My almost 4 year old niece informing me that she bought some seeds to plant in my garden. I guess the packaging was too cute to pass up. I'm looking forward to her beans, apparently the vines will grow up to 10 tall... we might make a bean tepee.

ETA: I think I will give her her very own little garden with little fence and everything. That way she won't pick too much at mine I can't wait!

Blogging about renovations in our first home
Old 04-06-2010, 10:23 AM

ZONE 5a

I trimmed, cleaned up and weeded the front yard yesterday. Our whole front yard is garden. I have strawberries, cranberries, blueberries and some herbs lavender, chamomile, peppermint, oregano, spearmint, calendula, chives, dandelion.

I am watching my new plants I planted last year in the backyard 2 grape plants, black current bush, elderberry bush. My rhubarb is up! The backyard is on hold for veggie planting because my DH is going to be working on my long awaited greenhouse boxes and raised beds this week.

I planted some spinach and 3 lettuces yesterday and am happy it is raining today

Happy planting everyone!

Quote:
Hi there!

Hi!

I bought some Organic, Ontario seeds here this year http://www.seeds-organic.com/
Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
My cat is like that too...she's a nut.
Ha! I'm glad my girl isn't the only crazy feline out there.

Zone 4 here - I just planted my spring greens bed yesterday, and then it stormed all night. I'm sure my seeds have washed away. Not a big deal normally, except my three year old was helping me plant, and dumped most of my extra seeds in his garden. I guess I'll just have to give it a week or so to see what pops up and whether I need to repurchase seeds!
Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post

Hi!

I bought some Organic, Ontario seeds here this year http://www.seeds-organic.com/
Thank you, that's the site I had found too
Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Hi there!

Hi Have you checked out Sage Garden Herbes www.herbs.mb.ca they're local to me, they sell organic heirloom seeds Can't go wrong with them!

Im loving reading about all these gardens! I can't wait to get some plants outdoors.... in a couple months!

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

Old 04-07-2010, 09:29 PM

subbing. Zone 2b here. Just started my nightshades today! I have some hardy greens coming up in the cold frame, which I planted on March 17th. Also been busy making maple syrup from our Manitoba maple trees. (Does that count as gardening??)

Quote:

Two awesome heirloom seed companies in ON that I've ordered from:
The Cottage Gardener
and Terra Edibles
Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou View Post
subbing. Zone 2b here. Just started my nightshades today! I have some hardy greens coming up in the cold frame, which I planted on March 17th. Also been busy making maple syrup from our Manitoba maple trees. (Does that count as gardening??)

Two awesome heirloom seed companies in ON that I've ordered from:
The Cottage Gardener
and Terra Edibles
Quote:

Hi Have you checked out Sage Garden Herbes www.herbs.mb.ca they're local to me, they sell organic heirloom seeds Can't go wrong with them!

Im loving reading about all these gardens! I can't wait to get some plants outdoors.... in a couple months!
Wow, thank you ladies Now I have to choose who to order from. I've got a list of what I want ...hmm...decisions, decisions.....
Old 04-07-2010, 11:48 PM

Hibou, that's awesome about your cold frame veggies! my little seedlings arent doing much right now, they're on a heating blanket under lights in the basement.

Im going to go check out those seed shops you just posted!

Old 04-08-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Hibou, that's awesome about your cold frame veggies! my little seedlings arent doing much right now, they're on a heating blanket under lights in the basement.

Im going to go check out those seed shops you just posted!
FWIW, I just placed an order with a new-to-me place in Carman, MB called Heritage Harvest Seed. They've got a great selection of heirloom veggies- some really rare & interesting stuff. I spoke to the owner on the phone, and she was very nice and said she'd ship my order out the next day, so hopefully they'll be here for tomorrow! (Thought I'd mention it, since I notice you are in Winnipeg.)
Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 PM

Who else woke up to snow this morning? *sigh*
Old 04-08-2010, 01:18 PM

Thanks for all the seed company links. Anyone have any in BC?

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post
Who else woke up to snow this morning? *sigh*
No snow yet but it's coming this weekend. I still haven't got my seeds started indoors...I just can't get motivated when the weather seems so far from being nice. I'm mostly going to plant into the ground this year, we are in the middle of some house renos and I just don't have the room to have my usual overabundance of plants started.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
Old 04-09-2010, 10:03 AM

Morning

All y seedlings are doing well. It's so exciting to see them starting I will be working on the garden space this weekend, trying to get it ready. I might try to get some lettuce, carrots, spinach and a few others in the ground either this weekend or during the week.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:11 AM

I'm going back and forth about putting in my beets and peas from seed and my broccoli and lettuce seedlings soon. I need someone to hold my hand!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
Old 04-09-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I'm going back and forth about putting in my beets and peas from seed and my broccoli and lettuce seedlings soon. I need someone to hold my hand!
I put some radish and lettuce seeds in the other day. On the next warm day I'll add more and some pea and beet seeds.

As soon as potatoes come out in stores they'll go in.

My front yard needs some serious work. I didn't do any cleanup in the fall, so there are tons of deady annuals that need pulling out.

We didn't get any snow.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
http://www.saltspringseeds.com/ Ive been checking out their selection for some time now, looks like great stuff!

Old 04-09-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Maine, you guys still have cold weather there? I am central New Hampshire and I am putting in this weekend, or trying to get my cold weather things going. I know a few people who started last weekend though. I am not sure about the garden, but I say as long as the snow is gone and the ground isn't frozen, go for it Seedlings, if it were me I would start, by the time they are ready to go in the garden the weather will be perfect, fingers crossed

Old 04-09-2010, 07:41 PM

Blizzard outside my window right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillarilla View Post
Full Circle Seeds in Sooke is where I ordered some of my hardiest greens a couple of years ago.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:41 AM

my husband worked on getting our beds into shape today- i've been sidelined with a combo sick and teething babe for the past few days- and a couple of days ago one of his co-workers came by and showed us around the property (it belongs to his nonprofit and she gardened here last year. Found out there is rhubarb and lots of flower bulbs coming up and she says somewhere along the back fence line there in asparagus- does anyone know what that would look like at this point in west central iowa?- i went looking today and didn't find anything.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou View Post
Blizzard outside my window right now!
Yuck. I feel for you. I am so over Winter. This year seemed very long to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jildez View Post
my husband worked on getting our beds into shape today- i've been sidelined with a combo sick and teething babe for the past few days- and a couple of days ago one of his co-workers came by and showed us around the property (it belongs to his nonprofit and she gardened here last year. Found out there is rhubarb and lots of flower bulbs coming up and she says somewhere along the back fence line there in asparagus- does anyone know what that would look like at this point in west central iowa?- i went looking today and didn't find anything.
I worked on my garden yesterday. Over the winter I grew so many rocks! I thought I got rid of them last year? Sorry to hear about your little one, hope babe feels better asap.

User Tag List