Zone 3-5 Gardeners Early 2010 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 215 Old 05-05-2010, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there, I'm in zone 4/5ish (east central OH), and I just planted some green beans today... Tommorrow I'm planning on hunting down some sugar snap or snow peas and get a bed or two of them in. I also keep debating on whether or not I want to go buy some cabage plants. I haven't done it yet, but, we'll see. I also have one bed of broccoli thats been in for a few weeks now... and my dad has a nice bed of lettuce & spinach & other greens that are all simply beautiful

Overall, my gardening plans are way reduced this year. I'll put in a few tomatoes and see how they do, along with some peppers, and maybe give zukes/cukes another try just for the heck of it, but I doubt any of it will do really well. We keep having issues with disease of some sort, and the last two years we've *thought* we had it figured out, but then inevitably everything just wilts and goes to pot. And its very depressing. So, I'm planning on a small garden and buying lots at the farmers market...
#122 of 215 Old 05-05-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
We keep having issues with disease of some sort, and the last two years we've *thought* we had it figured out, but then inevitably everything just wilts and goes to pot. And its very depressing. So, I'm planning on a small garden and buying lots at the farmers market...
Hmmm...how about doing some container gardenning? If the disease is in the soil and you pot fresh soil into pots you may do OK. Cherry tomatoes, herbs and chives do really well in pots.
#123 of 215 Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Hi there, I'm in zone 4/5ish (east central OH), and I just planted some green beans today... Tommorrow I'm planning on hunting down some sugar snap or snow peas and get a bed or two of them in. I also keep debating on whether or not I want to go buy some cabage plants. I haven't done it yet, but, we'll see. I also have one bed of broccoli thats been in for a few weeks now... and my dad has a nice bed of lettuce & spinach & other greens that are all simply beautiful

Overall, my gardening plans are way reduced this year. I'll put in a few tomatoes and see how they do, along with some peppers, and maybe give zukes/cukes another try just for the heck of it, but I doubt any of it will do really well. We keep having issues with disease of some sort, and the last two years we've *thought* we had it figured out, but then inevitably everything just wilts and goes to pot. And its very depressing. So, I'm planning on a small garden and buying lots at the farmers market...
Have you tried companion planting? I planted tons of marigolds and cosmos and chives in amongst the rest of my veggies and they were amazingly healthy last year.

I've got lettuce, peas, beets, radishes poking up right now. Time to plant chard, spinach, carrots, potatoes and parsnips.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#124 of 215 Old 05-06-2010, 03:35 PM

I am in zone 2/3 here. Haven't planted anything yet though, it is currently snowing, so the garden is not ready to work yet. I have however, bought all my seeds and and now planning out how I am going to arrange the garden(it is my first one and we just moved here 2 weeks ago). Hopefully in the next 1-2 weeks I can start planting the first of the seeds.

Brandy Single momma to A(11), C(10), H(6) and I(2)
:
#125 of 215 Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 PM

I tried a little companion planting last year, along with throwing cornmeal around roots, spraying with milk, spraying with peroxide, spraying with some organic stuff that was supposed to prevent whatever the black moldy stuff was, etc... I'm just at a loss. We *need* to get the soil tested, but as the extension levy just freaking failed, we no longer have an extension office, so I don't know exactly how to go about that..

I just tilled up the last two beds in my garden (with a nifty little rototiller thing that attaches to the new weed wacker motor that we just got... its a pretty nifty setup - you can switch out the weed wacker thing for a rototiller or several other attatchments!!), and am going to try and get some beans & peas planted tommorrow. They at least, seem to do just fine (assuming the peas don't get blown down by high winds, of course... had that happend 2 yrs ago ) .

We always try and plant some marigolds around the tomatoes, but not tons... what else likes marigolds besides tomatoes?? I have 'carrots love tomatoes, roses love garlic', and read and tried to do a little last year... but it was kinda overwhelming tbh, it was like dozens of things like dozens of other things and it just really confused me...
#126 of 215 Old 05-07-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellmomma View Post
I am in zone 2/3 here. Haven't planted anything yet though, it is currently snowing, so the garden is not ready to work yet. I have however, bought all my seeds and and now planning out how I am going to arrange the garden(it is my first one and we just moved here 2 weeks ago). Hopefully in the next 1-2 weeks I can start planting the first of the seeds.
Good to see another zone 2 gardener duking it out! We've had 2 weeks of snow and rain but the last two days have been sunny, so I'm heading back out to the garden today. Lots more beds to prep.

Quote:
I tried a little companion planting last year, along with throwing cornmeal around roots, spraying with milk, spraying with peroxide, spraying with some organic stuff that was supposed to prevent whatever the black moldy stuff was, etc... I'm just at a loss. We *need* to get the soil tested, but as the extension levy just freaking failed, we no longer have an extension office, so I don't know exactly how to go about that..

We always try and plant some marigolds around the tomatoes, but not tons...
How frustrating for you! It sounds like you've tried just about every natural remedy for your garden. I don't have any advice, but I really hope that it will sort itself out.
#127 of 215 Old 05-09-2010, 11:57 AM

It snowed a little last night!!! So glad I waited to plant most things!

Kathy
#128 of 215 Old 05-09-2010, 06:17 PM

still waiting a few more weeks to plant here...

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#129 of 215 Old 05-09-2010, 06:23 PM

The garden tempted me today. It's sunny and in the 60's. But I checked the weather forcast and it is supposed to snow on Wednesday. So I'm resisting the urge. Sigh.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#130 of 215 Old 05-09-2010, 07:06 PM

Hi, all! I'm jumping in from zone 2b here in SW Manitoba. It was absolutely beautiful today so I went out and prepped the garden finally. I still need to figure out what I'm planting where. I'm doing lettuce, swiss chard, spinach, carrots, peas, and beets (first try at those). I still need to go buy cucumber seeds as DS1 really wants me to plant them.

Our long term forecast looks promising but I'm going to wait until at least next weekend to plant. I'll check the forecast then and make a decision. I'm out of town May long so planting will be happening soon! I'm itching to get in the garden. I'm planting my herbs (basil, parsley, oregano and rosemary) in planters this evening or tomorrow.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#131 of 215 Old 05-09-2010, 08:23 PM

We're still getting snow flurries! It seems like we had a fairly mild winter but it's hanging on forever! Last frost date of June 1st and getting eager. Still need to till, make beds, put up a fence and starting to feel pressure to get it all done in time.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#132 of 215 Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 PM

Frost warning in effect here tonight. That's good b/c I put all my pre-frost seeds in the ground, so I hope they like it

Looks like I'm loosing all the pepper seeds I started indoors....there is fuzz growing on my planters (they are the ones that I can transplant in the ground with the seeds ) and I don't think that's a good thing

anything I can do to save them?

Should I have used different planters?
#133 of 215 Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 AM

Sorry about your peppers. I used those kind of pots a few years ago and had a really rough time keeping my seedlings alive. I feel like they keep them too wet or something.....

This year I used the little peat pellets which I just LOVE because they take up less room and if you planted a little early (as I did) you can just drop them in a little yogurt cup with some potting soil and it'll keep on growing. (We ate a LOT of yogurt over the past few weeks!!)

My pumpkins are crazy. They have climbed up my window and are now flowering! I need to get them in ASAP!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#134 of 215 Old 05-10-2010, 06:22 AM

We have a frost warning for last night.Hopefully everything survives.My mom has one of those harbor freight greenhouses-a small one- and says it is like Florida inside. I wish I had one of those.Even the big-10 by 12- is only 700-800.Small ones are 300.Well worth it to get an early start,and grow into the colder months.Right now I just have a few window cold frames,but it is better than nothing.

A lot more bugs this year too.I have had 3 different types eating the plant leaves when normally I just had jap beetles to deal with.It is VERY hard not to go unorganic and spray these pests.
#135 of 215 Old 05-10-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmum View Post
Looks like I'm loosing all the pepper seeds I started indoors....there is fuzz growing on my planters (they are the ones that I can transplant in the ground with the seeds ) and I don't think that's a good thing

anything I can do to save them?

Should I have used different planters?
Actually, a lot of molds have a symbiotic relationship with plants. If the starts still look healthy, you don't have to worry. It is just that the decomposition of your peat or coconut fiber based planters has started. Normally you don't see it because they are in the ground. Try not to stress, remember that decomposition is your friend!

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#136 of 215 Old 05-13-2010, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to jump in here... I'm a zone 4. I have my garden spot ready, but then it got down to the 30's this week and has been raining since Monday. I have bought some pepper and tomato plants, but they are just hanging out waiting for me to be able to get into the garden. This weekend is supposed to be 70's, so I can't wait!

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#137 of 215 Old 05-16-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post
Actually, a lot of molds have a symbiotic relationship with plants. If the starts still look healthy, you don't have to worry. It is just that the decomposition of your peat or coconut fiber based planters has started. Normally you don't see it because they are in the ground. Try not to stress, remember that decomposition is your friend!
I have to say thank you for this info. b/c I didn't give on my little sprouts and they're fine now!! I'm just being careful not to overwater the containers where it holds the excess moisture and they are taking off.

This week is supposed to warm & beautiful in zone 4b, so I'll go and weed the stuff I have in the ground already (I don't know if anything has sprouted yet, b/c my garden is far away from where I live)
I'll prep the rest of the garden space for my next round of seeds to go in. I've drawn out a rough map of what I will plant where.

I'm going to add a sunflower house, and in front of it, a pole bean teepee for DS.

Oh, I have a question. I have marigolds to plant b/c I hear they are great for gardens. How does everyone else plant these?
Full row somewhere? 2-3 flowers mixed in with an existing row? Random planting all around the garden?
#138 of 215 Old 05-16-2010, 07:04 PM

I'm in zone 5 and planted my garden last weekend. I still have my pepper and tomato plants indoors tho.

My radishes, lettuce mix and snow peas were direct seeded and they're already coming up

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#139 of 215 Old 05-16-2010, 07:31 PM

I'm zone 5, and I got so much done garden-wise this weekend! I set up the rain barrel (I needed more cinder blocks to get better water pressure), trimmed the grass, finished making the grids for my square foot raised beds, repotted some seedlings, and direct-seeded a bunch of things in the garden (kale, spinach, lettuce, carrots, etc). It felt good to get the ball rolling. I *still* have to build the fences around the beds and the trellises, but it's getting there. In another week or so I can transplant the seedlings, and the garden season will be in full swing.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#140 of 215 Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 AM

I planted some parsley and lettuce in a bed in the front yard and noticed some little lettuce leaves yesterday! And thankfully checked the weather online and saw the frost warning for last night! I covered them up with some old wool sweaters. They'll be fine, right? I'm going to wait until the sun gets up a bit higher before checking.

My pepper plants are looking great: 14 Calcom A, 8 Bell mix (some didn't germinate) and 8 Jalapeño (didn't expect them all to germinate!)

Tomatoes are looking sad. Had 50, lost 25. Thought I would lose them all so started some more from seed. Some of the early tomatoes seemed to just stop growing for awhile, some are looking quite nice but they're all sort of small and behind where I thought they would be.

We're having a tilling party on Wednesday! (I'm trying to get myself pumped over it instead of thinking of how much work it will be ) My parents, sister and her DH should be coming and we're renting a tiller at $35CAD/day. My Dad is bringing his OLD tiller to go through after the rented one. It's a big space that was formerly wild. I've raked it, hacked away at raspberry brambles, picked rocks and transplanted flowers that I found in all the chaos.

I've also found a source for cedar fence posts at $4 each but DH wants to check out a metal junkyard in town to see if they have materials for poles.

It's all coming together! Last frost date of June 1st. Maybe I'll make it!

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#141 of 215 Old 05-17-2010, 08:56 AM

#142 of 215 Old 05-17-2010, 09:01 AM

#143 of 215 Old 05-17-2010, 10:24 AM

I completely jumped the gun and I did my first planting last week. (Zone 2b in SW Manitoba, Canada.) I couldn't stand it anymore -- I was getting jealous reading of all of you who have planted and have stuff coming up! Our forecast was absolutely fabulous (highs of 25-27C, lows of 8-10C)... so I went and had some fun in my garden. I'll be planting more carrots, spinach, swiss chard and lettuce this week.

I also got a TON of raspberry canes from a friend. Is there anything special I need to do for raspberries? My kids are so excited about raspberries, I just hope they don't die on me!

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#144 of 215 Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by springmum View Post

Oh, I have a question. I have marigolds to plant b/c I hear they are great for gardens. How does everyone else plant these?
Full row somewhere? 2-3 flowers mixed in with an existing row? Random planting all around the garden?
From what I understand, marigolds help keep critters out of the garden because of the way they smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcheeks View Post

I also got a TON of raspberry canes from a friend. Is there anything special I need to do for raspberries? My kids are so excited about raspberries, I just hope they don't die on me!
I have some raspberries to plant too and all I can remember from what I read was that it should not be near your vegetable garden. I can't remember why now though. I need to plant mine tonight!

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#145 of 215 Old 05-17-2010, 03:33 PM

We've finally had some hot, sunny weather here too, and the forecast is looking good. A friend came out last week to help me dig and prep beds & we accomplished so much together! Every gardener needs a friend like that.

I did some more seeding this a.m., including brassicas, which are always hit and miss here. (I did have some that I started in the house, but when I set them out in the cold frame, the poor babies were attacked by something hungry)...so I'm thinking of buying a floating row cover for that bed.

Also did some cleaning/transplanting in flower beds over the weekend. I'm not a very good flower gardener, but I do love the old cottage flowers on our farm...and there's a rumor that we might be getting a beehive soon, so it motivates me to try keeping up with it. By August it's always a tangle of weeds and blooms, but it's a gorgeous tangle.
#146 of 215 Old 05-17-2010, 07:33 PM

I'm finally planting! Got my tomatoes in this weekend (all 75, whew!), my onions and peas are coming up and looking happy, and I'm ready to start beans, broccoli, and squash. Hooray for spring!

The only issue I'm having is my parsnips. I planted seeds 3 weeks ago, and no sign of any sprouts. I planted 2 10' rows, and I know they germinate poorly so I was generous with the seed. Are these buggers just very slow? Or do they need warm soil? I thought they were cold germinating plants, which is why I planted them early. Any thoughts?

#147 of 215 Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
They spread like crazy, so plant them somewhere contained. If you have a bed that is blocked by a concrete walk, that would be perfect. I didn't have an area like that, so mine are planted in a spot where I can mow around the bed. (I mow right over the canes that are getting out of bounds to keep the bed in check.) I like to plant them in a row and have them grow on a trellis, because it makes them easier to pick. Enjoy! They are so nice to have.
#148 of 215 Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post
The only issue I'm having is my parsnips. I planted seeds 3 weeks ago, and no sign of any sprouts. I planted 2 10' rows, and I know they germinate poorly so I was generous with the seed. Are these buggers just very slow? Or do they need warm soil? I thought they were cold germinating plants, which is why I planted them early. Any thoughts?
In my experience, they germinate very slowly. I always make the mistake of replanting my parsnip patch, thinking that none of the seed took.
#149 of 215 Old 05-19-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
I completely jumped the gun and I did my first planting last week. (Zone 2b in SW Manitoba, Canada.) I couldn't stand it anymore -- I was getting jealous reading of all of you who have planted and have stuff coming up! Our forecast was absolutely fabulous (highs of 25-27C, lows of 8-10C)... so I went and had some fun in my garden. I'll be planting more carrots, spinach, swiss chard and lettuce this week.

Im from Manitoba too and cant stand it anymore! This weekend we will have to start moving our seedlings outside

We don't do anything special with our raspberries, just give them lots of space because they will multiply like crazy! I did notice that some of them last year broke because they were so heavy, so this year I ran some sting between two posts for them to have a bit of support on.

Today we planted some hardy false bamboo in the yard, cant wait to see how it takes off!

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

#150 of 215 Old 05-19-2010, 12:49 PM

After a little snow here in CO last week (ugh!) the long term forecast finally looks fabulous!

In the ground:
Carrots
Collards
Cauliflower
Eggplant

Seeds started this week:
Cherry Tomatoes
Okra
Yellow Summer Squash
Green Beans
Bell Peppers
Sunflowers

I would really love to get some cucumbers and zuccinni going but we are running out of space, I may try them along the fence so at least the cucumbers have somewhere to climb. Also finally transferred my herb seedlings to their permanent home (pots) so hopefully they will take off.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page