Zone 3-5 Gardeners Early 2010 - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 215 Old 07-17-2010, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I feel like I won't get enough peas this summer to satisfy me. Can I plant more now? I picked up a packet that says it needs 64 growing days and if I plant them soon, I should be able to squeeze it in... but will it be too hot for them? Will they grow very well?

The peas I have now are just starting to blossom (after 40 days, different variety).

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#212 of 215 Old 07-18-2010, 07:53 PM

I harvested my first tomato today! Small, perfect and deep, deep orange. Yum!

I have also harvested all my garlic - they are curing in the shed - they are huge! I have bravely planted a row of mesclun and carrots in the spot the garlic used to occupy. We will see how that does.

My squash are infiltrating the basil and older mesclun row. Next year they are getting their own garden bed.

Kathy
#213 of 215 Old 11-12-2010, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There haven't been any posts in here for awhile! How did your garden go this year? What do you do in the winter time? Any indoor plants? When do you start planning for next year? Any things you know you need to change for next year?

My garden was not great this year. First year in this house and when I planned the garden, there weren't many leaves on the trees yet. After the trees filled in, there was way too much shade for the garden to ripen. So I spent the last part of the season trying to figure out where the best place to move the garden would be. I think I have it figured out. Is there anything I can do now to start getting the ground ready? Or do I need to wait till spring? I was wondering if I could stake it and then lay down plastic to prevent the grass from growing next spring... good idea or not?

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#214 of 215 Old 12-02-2010, 04:52 PM

I haven't been in the gardening section here in ages. I'm mourning the loss of my garden and green growing things. I decided to get a bunch of indoor plants. :)

My garden grew amazingly well, especially considering it was my first. I have pics here

Right now, we're eating a lot of homemade pasta sauce. It's been a big help/money saver. 

Potatoes are another thing that we're really using. Very easy to grow too, easy to harvest, easy to store. 

We're relying on some veggies in the freezer but they're more "sides": green and yellow beens, chopped zucchini...

Next year i would grow more greens. Didn't really have enough chard etc. 

I also bought apples when they were on sale last fall. Also bags of carrots, turnip and onion to make up for what I didn't plant and/or didn't grow so well.

Some veggies I only had enough to eat during the summer: corn, peas, carrots, green peppers. 

Some veggies I NEED to get going sooner so I'm not harvesting at frost: tomatoes, green peppers. 

I'm looking forward to planning next years garden but won't let myself get into it until mid/end January. Otherwise the wait will be too long. 

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#215 of 215 Old 01-07-2011, 11:14 AM

We're moving to the family farm this spring so already prepped 1/4 acre or so for our garden next year. We're REALLY nervous that it won't be enough. We figured out where we wanted rows and did a cover crop for the rows and left grass walk paths between.

We placed our seed order last night with Fedco. We plan to get a shelf unit built with lights at the end of Feb and start some seeds then too (when we'll  be up at the farm visiting) and then start the rest whenever we get back up there (possibly having my mil start the rest if we can't get up before we move).

That's the plan. Excited to find this thread.

Oh, we're in zone 3 possibly 4 - very very northern VT.

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page