Zone 3-5 Gardeners Early 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 215 Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there! Wasn't there a zones 3-5 gardener thread? Want to start one up with me?

I'm in zone 5a, I believe. I'm beginning to start thinking about planning the garden again. I think I'm going to shoot for growing in the garden beds, only direct-sow plants. I don't know if I will be able to start the seedlings like I did last year, and I'm curious as to whether I can even do something like this. I might grow 2 tomato plants in a pot, I don't know. I didn't have a whole lot of success with the tomatoes last year, well, I didn't have success transplanting anything I started indoors last year.

Anyone ever try this?

Also, now that our gardening area has been through one garden season, I notice that much of it is shaded. Meh. Probably should pick a different spot, but it is what it is. I've read that certain cooler temp crops (lettuce, spinach and other greens) might do ok in that sort of area. Any feeedback on that.

One thing I've discovered is that carrots and radishes either really like us or are just easy to grow. Heh.

signature currently in transition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 215 Old 01-28-2010, 12:51 PM

I'm in zone 5 too. Cool weather crops are great for shady areas. You want to make sure they still get some sun at some part of the day though. Carrots are super fun and easy to grow! The only plants I have to either start or buy as plants are tomatoes and peppers, everything else I direct sow. This includes corn, beans, greens, carrots, squash, peas, and melons. For onions you don't need plant starts, just buy the bag of bulb looking onions and not onion seeds and you can direct sow them. Garlic is a direct sow of a bulb, and potatoes are direct sow from a chunk of sprouted potato.

We added a strawberry bed last year and will be starting an asparagus bed as well as 5 fruit trees and 4 berry bushes. I'm pretty excited! Other experiments for this year are a possible bee hive and mushroom log, but I need to look into them more. Yay for garden planning in the middle of winter!!

Urban homesteader married to my high school sweetheart, mama to V(4/07) and H(6/10)

knit.gifblogging.jpghomeschool.gif   chicken3.gif

#3 of 215 Old 01-28-2010, 01:31 PM

Zone 4 here, and we're a long way off from planting, so I'm trying not to even think about it. I don't start any seeds inside myself - I just am not very good at hardening things off, so it isn't worth it to me. I'll start direct sowing in mid-April hopefully, and buy tomato plants and peppers and such in June. My local nursery was selling tomato plugs for 50 cents each last year - they grew very well, and I was able to buy a dozen for $6 - can't beat that!

Two of my best tomato plants last year, though, were volunteers that I transplanted from my friend's garden. Since they did so well, I might try direct seeding a variety of tomato that I can only find in seed. It may not work, but it is worth a shot.
#4 of 215 Old 01-28-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

MW, Oooh, berries! How fun! We have a very sour cherry tree just outside of our property that drops cherries all over the place (bird love it). I keep thinking I should get a ladder and pick some and just try my hand at somethign with them. I reckon enough sugar should make them ok. Other than that and the teeny wild strawberries that grow (wildly) all over the yard, we have no fruits. I'm considering doing blueberries in the front yard with the flower bed, but I'm not sure of the practicality of that.

Sigh, I missed the window for planting garlic. I was so not ready for that.

OnZ I'm not too good at hardening plants either. I did manage to find some shorter season tomatoes in the Bountiful Gardens magazine, I think I will direct sow those. Otherwise my tomatoes and peppers will be farmers market bought. All the tomato starts I bought last year blighted, so I'm trying to keep it to seed only. Plus I want to avoid the Monsanto.

I still haven't bought any seeds or supplies yet. At this stage I'm daydreamin'.

signature currently in transition
#5 of 215 Old 01-28-2010, 02:13 PM

I'm between a zone 4/5 and we have about 5 ft of snow right now and it's -30C

Definitely joining the thread though! It'll give me something to look forward to!

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#6 of 215 Old 01-30-2010, 09:52 PM

I'm zone 3 so gardening is a loooong way off for me still.
We just moved into this house last spring, but I had DS shortly after and DH had knee surgery after that so we've never planted here. We did get our raised garden beds built last fall, but that's it so far. I'm thinking I will do a "stew garden" (potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, etc), a salad garden (lettuces, spinach, radishes, etc.), an herb garden, and strawberries. I'd also like to put in some raspberry bushes this year.
#7 of 215 Old 01-31-2010, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing

zone 3 and I can't even FIND my garden under all this snow right now.

We planted some siberian honeyberry bushes last year, which are supposed to flower and fruit very early here, so that is what I am looking forward to.

Also, this is the year I will successfully grow broccoli, darnit!!!

But that is as far as I have gotten.

Oh, I need to prune a few branches off our apple trees soon.
#8 of 215 Old 01-31-2010, 11:26 PM

If carrots and radishes do well you should try beets and swiss chard. They did really well here and we are zone 5 as well. Has anyone tried raised bed gardens at all? I am hoping to save a little wear and tear to my back. Plus I think it might be easier to keep the weeds at bay if the beds are isolated a bit. Does anyone have some good combinations for mini permaculture beds?
#9 of 215 Old 02-01-2010, 02:03 AM

I'm zone 2 (can I crash the party?) so gardening is still a long way off here. I am getting ready to put in an order from my seed catalog though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
We planted some siberian honeyberry bushes last year, which are supposed to flower and fruit very early here, so that is what I am looking forward to.
I put in a honeyberry bush last year too. I have a friend who put some in a few years ago and she does get a nice early crop. Even earlier than strawberries. The other nice thing about them is that the berries stay nice on the bush for a long time. It takes them a while to get over ripe so if you're not able to pick them right away they're not lost. I have a saskatoon bush that does well but there is a much smaller window of ripeness.

ETA, this will be the first season to harvest asparagus from the patch I planted when we moved in 3 years ago. I can't wait!

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#10 of 215 Old 02-01-2010, 07:33 AM

#11 of 215 Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuribird View Post
If carrots and radishes do well you should try beets and swiss chard. They did really well here and we are zone 5 as well. Has anyone tried raised bed gardens at all? I am hoping to save a little wear and tear to my back. Plus I think it might be easier to keep the weeds at bay if the beds are isolated a bit. Does anyone have some good combinations for mini permaculture beds?
Do you mean perennial beds, or polyculture annual beds that you integrate into a permacultured yard? Gaia's Garden has 2 different options for polyculture beds. From what I remember, they are both heavy on the mustards, though, so if you don't like mustard greens, they might not be very appealing.
#12 of 215 Old 02-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuribird View Post
You might want to look into keyhole gardens. This is a video about them being used in Africa. I'm going to try making one this year. They seem like a great idea.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#13 of 215 Old 02-02-2010, 06:04 PM

Zone 3 here. I haven't even thought about my garden yet - I've been concentrating on getting backyard hens this year if my place is chosen as a pilot project site. I do want to expand my tomato plot though, and we're thinking of building some type of stone enclosure to create a mini zone for peppers. We've had zero luck growing peppers so far.
#14 of 215 Old 02-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon Feimorgan View Post
You might want to look into keyhole gardens. This is a video about them being used in Africa. I'm going to try making one this year. They seem like a great idea.
Those are so super cool! I may have to try one.

Urban homesteader married to my high school sweetheart, mama to V(4/07) and H(6/10)

knit.gifblogging.jpghomeschool.gif   chicken3.gif

#15 of 215 Old 02-05-2010, 01:16 AM

Hi! I'm in Zone 3. I am hoping to add some raised beds and blueberry bushes this year. I try to start as many seeds as I can early in the house. I need to get some more lights and a better set up this year though. I canned 50 lbs of tomatoes into sauce this past fall and I just ran out this week. I hope to grow tons of tomatoes this year. I had to buy some last year.
#16 of 215 Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Hi from zone 3/4! In the depth of sub-zero weather, I am thinking about my garden and flowers.

Has anyone ever had success (or heard of success) with pear trees?
#17 of 215 Old 02-09-2010, 06:40 PM

New to zone 4 I will gardening in 2 zones this year our current zone 6 and the new place in zone 4.

I just ordered all my zone 4 seeds I will put in another order next month for green house items as well.

I ve been looking for old russian varieties but if anyone has recomandations I would love to hear them
#18 of 215 Old 02-10-2010, 03:20 PM

I'm in zone 4 and excited about starting our first real garden! The thing is, we moved in October 1st and I can hardly remember what the backyard looks like under all this snow! I remember a lot of weeds and a possible swampy area towards the back.

We'll need to put up a good fence because we have so many deer. I have big dreams. I want to enclose a good portion of the backyard, have raised beds towards the front and rows/areas of corn, squash, potatoes at the back. Nice, tall sunflowers along the back fence. In the middle, I want to have a small fire pit and eating/relaxing area. Front right of the garden I want to have a small henhouse (downwind ), front left a storage shed for garden tools (although I might combine the two in one small building with separate entrances.)

I'm hoping to get some of this started this year. We'll see how far I get!

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#19 of 215 Old 02-10-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring978 View Post
New to zone 4 I will gardening in 2 zones this year our current zone 6 and the new place in zone 4.

I just ordered all my zone 4 seeds I will put in another order next month for green house items as well.

I ve been looking for old russian varieties but if anyone has recomandations I would love to hear them
What types of plants/seeds are you looking for? I usually figure that anything found/developed in Wisconsin or Minnesota are a good bet. I also really like Fedco for ordering seeds for our zone - it's a nice company, and they're located in the north, so tend to have varieties that do well here.
#20 of 215 Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 PM

zone 5 here. We are getting our seed orders together and will start our seeds the first week in March!

we use fedco and rareseeds.com almost exclusively.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#21 of 215 Old 02-11-2010, 04:48 PM

I'm in zone 5 also, in Pa. I just ordered one of the small Northern Garden seed kits from Baker Creek. And 13 varieties of heirloom tomatoes from TomatoFest. I'm trying to figure out where my kids put my catalog for mushrooms, I want to get those now.

I'm waiting several weeks until I'm sure we're not getting any more feet of snow dumped on us, but I'd also like to order some berry canes, grapevines and strawberry plants from Peaceful Valley.

I cannot wait for spring! I'm hoping that we can grow a lot of our own veggies this year. We're from Florida, and fall-spring was the worst growing time for me, we were always so busy w back to school, etc the garden always got neglected. I'm really looking forward to having the whole summer to play and pick in our garden!

I bought an hydroponic kit that I'm planning to use to start the seeds with, so I hope that works well, and gives me a leg up since I'm not used to cold weather issues! lol

I wish all this winter would go away! I wanna get gardening!

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi
#22 of 215 Old 02-14-2010, 05:44 PM

I am in zone 5b and am planning my garden for this year. Last year was a bust really due to a new baby and not enough time to weed!!! I am going to try and grow my beets and carrots at home this year rather than my parent's. (I also just took a time out to look at tillers. Didn't find one I don't think. I need one though.) My dad and I made a raised bed years ago and it's perfect for beets, carrots and lettuce. All I need to do here is add sand and then plant. I too am looking at blueberries, but I think I'll call the orchard here that has them and ask what kind of plants they have. For the most part we do the usual; cukes, tomatoes (heirloom), green beans, various types of squash, beets, carrots, lettuce, potatoes and I think I might try onions and corn this year. I've never had much luck with onion sets, but my grandpa told me to get plants this year. He's always done plants and has tons of onions. I didn't do well with potatoes last year, but I'm not real sure what I'm doing really. I would love to grow some golds and sweet potatoes this year though. Does anyone who's grown them well in the past have any advice?

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#23 of 215 Old 02-15-2010, 09:32 PM

Hi everyone! Glad to see this thread!

I'm zone 3/4. I'd like to plant tomatoes from seeds this year. For tomatoes I've always bought seedlings in the past. When would be ok to start the seeds if I keep them in the garage (unheated) with a grow light? My friend starts seeds in her kitchen and has full natural light in there, but I don't have the space in the house. If I wait until it's safe to start them outside, I think it will be a little later than I'd like for seeds.

Salihah סליחה صالحه Mama to four boys, another due Dec 4th.
#24 of 215 Old 02-16-2010, 05:55 AM

I'm currently a chilly zone 5. Don't throw tomatoes at me if I end up eventually moving to zone 8/9 though, it's not exactly by choice.

I've had basically zero winter this year. We had a few snow skiffs in Nov/Dec, but nothing spectacular like last year. Florida and Dallas are apparently getting our weather, and it seems like we live in Portland right now. Very trippy.
So if it doesn't rain too much this week, this weekend I'm having hubby put up my makeshift greenhouse (cattle panels, rebar, cinder blocks and 6mil plastic). Then if I haven't had this baby, may try to garden it out by getting some winter-sown stuff in pots and out there in said greenhouse.

I'm also scaling back some of the stuff I have attempted over the years... In part, in case we have to pack up and move this summer, in part because I'll have a new baby (heh, I need to stop doing that - always throws a monkey wrench into the garden/canning), and in part because here I've got my local hookups for certain things that they can just grow better than I can (melons, corn, lot of fruits, etc.).

I am crazy and have started my to-preserve list for this coming year though... Wow, do I have high hopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
Also, now that our gardening area has been through one garden season, I notice that much of it is shaded. Meh. Probably should pick a different spot, but it is what it is. I've read that certain cooler temp crops (lettuce, spinach and other greens) might do ok in that sort of area. Any feeedback on that.
Peas do well in partial shade, at least for me. I grew some under my [pole] green beans last year - peas were in tomato cages, beans on arched cattle panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
OnZ I'm not too good at hardening plants either. I did manage to find some shorter season tomatoes in the Bountiful Gardens magazine, I think I will direct sow those. Otherwise my tomatoes and peppers will be farmers market bought. All the tomato starts I bought last year blighted, so I'm trying to keep it to seed only. Plus I want to avoid the Monsanto.
Take a look at the Irish Eyes and Territorial catalogs. They have tomatoes that have been bred/developed in Canada/Alaska. I have yet to be disappointed by either of these companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon Feimorgan View Post
I put in a honeyberry bush last year too. I have a friend who put some in a few years ago and she does get a nice early crop. Even earlier than strawberries. The other nice thing about them is that the berries stay nice on the bush for a long time. It takes them a while to get over ripe so if you're not able to pick them right away they're not lost. I have a saskatoon bush that does well but there is a much smaller window of ripeness.

ETA, this will be the first season to harvest asparagus from the patch I planted when we moved in 3 years ago. I can't wait!
It was from somewhere on here I heard of honeyberries, and I'm so wanting to get a few to try out, even if I have to put them in giant pots. And same with asparagus - I should be able to harvest whole hog this year, I'm quite excited about that prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring978 View Post
I've done Purple Russian tomatoes for a few years, but they don't ripen early. The earlier tomatoes I *have* had are Washington Cherry, Kootenai, Alaska Fancy (hubby's fav), Gold Nugget. A few others are shortly behind those, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salihah View Post
I'm zone 3/4. I'd like to plant tomatoes from seeds this year. For tomatoes I've always bought seedlings in the past. When would be ok to start the seeds if I keep them in the garage (unheated) with a grow light? My friend starts seeds in her kitchen and has full natural light in there, but I don't have the space in the house. If I wait until it's safe to start them outside, I think it will be a little later than I'd like for seeds.
Depends on how cold your garage is/will be. If it stays above 50*F you should be okay. Even better if it's 60-70*F.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#25 of 215 Old 02-17-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post

Depends on how cold your garage is/will be. If it stays above 50*F you should be okay. Even better if it's 60-70*F.
Thanks so much! Well, right now my garage is only about 20* warmer than outside. Today we are about 30* outside, steamy warm! But it is usually colder. I'll wait then until the garage gets to a steady above 50*. Thank you!

#26 of 215 Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaisy View Post
Hi from zone 3/4! In the depth of sub-zero weather, I am thinking about my garden and flowers.

Has anyone ever had success (or heard of success) with pear trees?
My grandfather has pear trees! We're in zone 3/4. If you have any questions about them, I'll ask him. I'm not sure on the variety, it is likely a European variety he brought in when they moved here.

spring978: Do you get the Baker Creek Seed catalog? Visit www.rareseeds.com and request their free catalog by mail. It is full-color, gorgeous, and all beautiful, healthful, heirloom seeds. They have many Russian varieties of veggies, I'm not sure how many Russian tomatoes but I am almost certain there were more than a few.

#27 of 215 Old 02-19-2010, 03:16 PM

I'm in Canadian zone 3b and I know several people with pears (it's my list).

We planted two Nanking cherries last year and I ordered two University of Saskatchewan cherries to plant in the spring. Once we get the remaining two maples off our property I'll start planting apples, pears and plums.

We did grapes last year but they barely grew and I have no idea if they are going to make it through the winter.

Also planted a dozen blueberry bushes. We already have a raspberry patch and two currents (black and red).

Our house is on 1/5th acre. We have a small front yard that dh converted entirely to flower beds for me the backyard is going to be dedicated to food production.

I can't wait until spring. I'm hoping it comes early this year. Last year we had crappy weather right up to July.
#28 of 215 Old 02-22-2010, 12:54 PM

I'm zone 5a/b (depending on what map you look at).

I need to be getting my seed starting setup going but I am SO unmotivated. Could be the record breaking snow piled up outside.. lol.

Not even sure I know where my big bag of seeds is!

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#29 of 215 Old 03-24-2010, 06:39 AM

OK, I am in zone 3/4 here in Grand Forks, ND. I planted asparagus last year, covered it with straw and leaves after the frost. It is starting to thaw outside. When should I uncover the asparagus?
#30 of 215 Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 AM

I planted asparagus last year too.I am waiting till the temps are steady at 40 to uncover most plants.Some I have already worked on,and we will see if they do ok.I can't stand the mess in the yard!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page