Deep South Gardeners Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2010, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I live in Florida and I was given some plants the other day. I was given a squash plant, strawberry, thyme, tulsi and a banana tree by a friend of ours. We gave the banana tree to my fil because we don't have anywhere to plant it that my dog won't get to while it is still little, but we kept the rest. So far the tulsi is a tiny tiny seedling that for some reason didn't get very big ( it looks like it just sprouted and it's weeks old. So I am thinking it is bad) and the rest are like the size you would get at the store.

So, the strawberry doesn't have flowers or fruit and i know the seaon is done, will it continue to grow all through the year and produce next spring? Do I need to plant it in the ground or can I keep it in a container? The thyme I am good with, but the squash, can I keep it in a container and then just let it grow up something? Will it produce fruit this summer?

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Wow; I have never seen tulsi at any store.
That's "holy basil," (which has completely different properties, uses, and taste than basil and is not in the same genus) for anyone who is wondering. They are supposed to bring blessings and luck when planted by your back door, and I have found this to be true. I grow 3 varieties of tulsi and I have noticed, especially with the annual variety that they take a while to get growing and then all of sudden -bam- they take off. The perennial variety takes even longer to get very big, but I am watching all the tulsi seeds I planted in my herb garden this year really start to shoot up and become much better established. This growth spurt has occured in the last week or so, and I believe I planted the seeds in April.

If you plant your strawberries in the ground and give them room to spread, they will send out runners, daughters and granddaughters throughout the summer, which will root and become new plants and by spring, you could have a whole patch of strawberries.

Good luck!

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 06-21-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsiLeaf View Post

So, the strawberry doesn't have flowers or fruit and i know the seaon is done, will it continue to grow all through the year and produce next spring? Do I need to plant it in the ground or can I keep it in a container? The thyme I am good with, but the squash, can I keep it in a container and then just let it grow up something? Will it produce fruit this summer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post

If you plant your strawberries in the ground and give them room to spread, they will send out runners, daughters and granddaughters throughout the summer, which will root and become new plants and by spring, you could have a whole patch of strawberries.

Good luck!

:

I'm not in nearly as far South as you are, but I just harvested two perfect strawberries yesterday. I would definitly put them somewhere they have ROOM. Our runners have "granddaughters", and they're sprouting again!

Honestly I'm not quite sure what to do. Can I clip them and plant the new roots. (not all are rooted) But here is my 'problem' Last night dh and I agreed 100% (FINALLY!!) on changing the garden. We're going to containers, and that means I need to pull it all up.

So do I need to wait to pull them up or can I do that at any time? I know I risk shocking them, but I want them to be able to hibernate. Also...can I leave my containers out all winter, or will they need somewhere more protected? If so, we have a shed, no heat, but 4 walls. I can probably move them in there if I have to.

I guess I have a good bit of research to do!

See, my tomatoes are just in pots this year, and I love it. I can move them, spin them, and protect them when the weather gets bad.

Ack, the kids are ready to go, gotta cut this short.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 06-21-2010, 03:20 PM

Welcome home, BTW, Arduinna. Do you love your new home yet? Welcome to the Deep South!

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 PM

Joining in... I'm in the deep south, way south Mississippi. I haven't done any gardening this year because we've been planning a move. I'm wanting to plant some veggies this fall here and maybe start some other things in containers so they can be moved to the new property when we move. Doing some research now to figure out what I wanna plant.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
Welcome home, BTW, Arduinna. Do you love your new home yet? Welcome to the Deep South!
sorry for the delay getting back to this thread, got distracted in other forums. I'm loving it. The tree frogs are going crazy. I'm still organizing and unpacking though. I have been too busy to hit the nursery. I still need to get some rosemary and thyme planted and work on my fall garden plans.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:36 PM

Anyone doing anything new? I need to get some melon seeds planted and I want to get some pumpkins and okra going. I got most of my herbs in, but so far haven't found any rosewary.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:44 PM

I just bought a hydrangea I couldn't resist it again.

I just don't know where to put it yet.

I finally decided where to move my garden to next year...and I find myself wondering if it's too soon to start working the soil. And if so, what can I do.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 07-17-2010, 11:05 PM

Hi! Central Floridian with a black thumb here!

I've been wanting to start a garden for a while. Well, a couple years ago we tried a good-sized garden, but I was still new to Florida and on the northerner's schedule -- planted everything in the spring and barely got anything by the time the heat of the summer wiped it out.

We're thinking of trying again this fall (see, I learned!). I'd like to do a small square foot garden, since that seems like the easiest to get started with.

I have a few questions -- like where do you get seeds for varieties that will do well in this odd climate? I look online and get these lists of varieties that do well in Florida, but I can't find them at Lowe's or the big seed suppliers.

How early do you start them indoors? Should I even start them indoors if I don't have a sunny place (the sun doesn't some into our house much -- good for keeping A/C bills down, bad for sprouting plants)?

Thanks!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 07-28-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post
I just bought a hydrangea I couldn't resist it again.
ooo I was so tempted when I was at the nursery today and saw some.

We planted some lemon grass, rosemary, black eyed susans and had to replant thyme something ate our little one we had. DH went crazy planting melon seeds awhile ago and they are all sprouted and going.

User Tag List