repurposed containers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-30-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would have put this in the urban gardening thread but you know what, I'm really eager to get my hands on the drill

I have a 66 qt sterilite container that I want to use for growing. Plastic isn't ideal, but I've had it a while so it has probably leached a good deal of its yucky VOCs already and there is no budget for anything else. Would you put two tomato plants in this? It would be a little harder to clear out, but I could possibly spare one of my 116 qt containers... could you put three plants in that one? Both are (roughly estimating) about 15" high and 18" deep. The 66 qt one is at least a couple feet wide and the 116 qt container is under four feet wide. I've read that tomato plants should do fine in a five gallon container, but I'm sure they would crowd each other if I put three in the 16.5 gallon container. Perhaps in the larger one (which is over 25 gallons) I could stagger three of them? Do you think two plants would be ok in the smaller one? I was given seedlings of an italian heirloom variety.

I've made one 5 gallon bucket self-watering container. I just put one of the seedlings in it but I wonder if I should put it in the ground when it's warm enough. I wouldn't want to waste all that volume on the amount of lettuce that would grow on that surface area. Perhaps a kale plant?? I know the dwarf blue curled variety could go in something slightly smaller, but perhaps the lacinato variety would be good for a 5gal bucket? The spinach, lettuces and radishes will go into a shallower container (similar to those described above but one of those under-the-bed storage types) and the snap peas, though they could survive in the bucket if it was stationary, will go into the ground. Suggestions? TIA!
#2 of 4 Old 03-31-2010, 05:09 PM

In my tomato experience its cool to keep the 3 staggered in the larger container.-I think Kale would be mighty fine in a 5 gal bucket in place of lettuce. Don't blame you for wanting something a bit more substantial in there.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#3 of 4 Old 04-01-2010, 11:56 AM

IME, tomatoes do really well in containers. I think you could get 3 in a larger container.

I think it's also a good idea to move the lettuce to something more shallow. Kale would do well. Eggplant would too, I think.
#4 of 4 Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Sweeet! Some of the 5 tomato seedlings I have aren't looking too good, but I'm sure I can find space for however many make it!

I am also thinking of using a circular laundry basket that I think we could spare, lining it with plastic. That would make a mighty fine home for something yummy and nutritious

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page