Reclaiming neglected apple tree? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-27-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have two apple trees in the back yard which have been totally neglected for years and have become very overgrown. I would like to try to reclaim the trees for harvesting good, healthy fruit. I think it's going to take some work though, and I don't know where to begin.

My main questions are:
1) the fruit gets grey spots all over the skin, what are they and how can they be treated?
2) how to deal with insects?
3) how best to fertilize and care for?
4) how best to prune a tree that has not been pruned in the past and is way overgrown?

Can anyone give me some advice or suggestions for where to look for information?

Thanks.
#2 of 3 Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, I don't have any good advice here, but in fact I'm wondering many of the same things about my ancient orchard. I have 3 apples and a pear tree, all of which haven't been pruned since 1920 (if ever). I love these trees and my great-great grandfather planted them. So I'm scared to even consider pruning! I'll be watching this thread with much interest.

Hope you get the answers you need for your own tree!

Kate

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:
#3 of 3 Old 04-27-2010, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Your best bet is to call the county extension agency. They can find you a certified arborist that can help you prune your trees to be fruitful again. I warn you, it takes more than a year or two because the trees only tolerate a certain amount of pruning per year.

The gray spots are likely scab. New apple trees have been bred to be scab resistant. Old apples were used more for cider or cooking, so the folks just took out that little spot with a knife and use the rest of the fruit.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...sigb=12f6c3a1b

If its not scab, you may have coddling moth. They will destroy the whole inside of the fruit.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...sigb=132uhvjta

Good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page