Arizona Gardeners! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 96 Old 05-28-2010, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What are you putting in the 5 gallon buckets? Cement? Sand?

After reading the links I posted, I was thinking of pounding some rebar into the ground and setting the pvc over that. Problem is I think you have to have skinny pvc if you do that. Of course, I could get tall rebar and bigger diameter pvc. I've already got shade cloth from years ago. We cut out a piece to put a flap over our chicken coop area to keep the chickens from jumping out. Hopefully there's enough cloth left.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#32 of 96 Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking cement so that it would be more likely to stay put when the monsoons roll in . I considered rebar +PVC, but I want to be able to walk under the shade structure, not crouch around it. I am unable to kneel because of surgery and it makes some garden tasks pretty difficult, I definitely don't want to have to deal with being crowded by my shade structure.
#33 of 96 Old 05-28-2010, 09:24 PM

One of the links I attached, I think the first, said to use 6' tall pvc and some sort of garden anchors. Another said to use 12" rebar. I would use longer rebar. My husband used to build houses so has a good mind for this type of info. I'm going to ask how he'd going to design it.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#34 of 96 Old 05-29-2010, 07:59 PM

Hi ladies! Can I join you?

I'm an Arizona gardener in Mesa. We have 3 raised beds, 2 are 12X4 and one is 10X4. My brother built them with cinderblocks and we filled them with free fill dirt, some bags of garden soil, chicken and duck poop from a friend, and our own vegetable compost. We fertilized with organic steer manure after we planted. I water by hand once a day. Everything seems to be going great, excpet for my cucumbers which have not fruited at all. (I moved them to a shadier bed this year and I think I'll put them in more sun next time.) I had some expired seed packets of dill and lavender that never came up, but everything else sprouted. I was having the same problem mentioned earlier with the zucchini blossoms turning brown and the fruit shriveling up, and I learned I was overwatering! So now I water every other day or very lightly once a day. We do have some natural shade to the area so the soil doesn't get completely dried out between waterings. If you guys have Facebook you can check out some pics of my garden taken last week.
Garden

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#35 of 96 Old 05-30-2010, 01:13 AM

Welcome DecemberSun. What a great garden. I'm jealous of how much produce you're getting already. I'm just starting to get stuff. My peppers, as I've said before, just aren't growing. Today I checked my eggplant thinking I'd harvest in a couple days. They were soft. I'm not sure if that's because I hadn't watered yet or what. I'll check on them in the morning.

#36 of 96 Old 05-30-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Leah, you garden is gorgeous! I'm also jealous that you have so much that has been harvested, I'm just now starting to get some mature veggies.

I added bone meal to my zucchini bed and reduced the number of drippers in that bed and the blossom end rot problem seems to be corrected, thank goodness! I had something eating my tomatoes but insecticidal soap killed th caterpillars that I found out thr.

I added to my cucumber trellis, it is about 6 ft tall no. Th vines ar going crazy and I spotted a f tiny little cucumbers out thr yesterday. Can't ait to at them

sorry about splling errors, my kyboard is onky right no
#37 of 96 Old 05-30-2010, 08:47 PM

Hey ladies!

I was actually thinking my garden was a "late bloomer" because I kind of started later than usual this year (mid- March). I definitely should have gotten the seeds in earlier, my corn and sunflowers are way behind. The pepper sna eggplant are actually left over from last spring, believe it or not! I kept them alive all summer just by watering them, and we covered them a few times this winter with sheets (we had an *awesome* winter, IMO, with only a few overnight frosts.) I wasn't sure they eggplants'd come back because they looked a little brown for quite awhile, and the first fruits were yellow and squishy. But they're all coming around now. Pretty cool.

So, I've tried broccoli a couple of times with no luck. I mean, I get broccoli for a little while, and then the bugs take over. I'm wondering about this "insecticidal soap" you mentioned, seeing_stars. What is it and where do yo get it? My mom told me the Queen of Clean recommended a baking soda solution for afids, but I never tried it. I always end up pulling the plants because I don't want them spreading to anything else. I know it's more of a cold climate veggie so I'm trying to have the problem taken care of by the time I'm ready for autumn/winter planting.

I'm trying not to sound "braggy", but I'm super excited that I made veggie stir fry with fried rice tonight and all the veggies were from my garden!

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#38 of 96 Old 05-30-2010, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

I bought some insecticidal soap in a spray bottle at Walmart, but I've heard of people with Dr. Bronners + water in a spray bottle to control bugs. I planted from starter plants the last few days of March and had to restart my sunflowers after our bunny rabbit got into the garden and ate all of the sunflower seedlings. I think next year I'll start inside in Feb.
#39 of 96 Old 05-31-2010, 12:40 PM

Ok, I will have to try that soap mixture for sure.

Next year I will definitely be starting the seeds indoors. Since the birds figured out we have a garden now they are always tearing stuff up. We have bunnies coming in from the neighbor's yard as well, and since I have the garden/chicken area closed off from the dogs, we really can't do much. Someone actually mentioned that we should "mark our territory" around the garden area to keep the rabbits out. Do you do anything special for that, seeing_stars? I used to have an indoor pet bunny in college, he was paper-trained. I'd love to get some more someday.

Your gardens look marvelous too, btw. I love how natural yours looks with the straw on the ground, SundayCrepes. And your teepee is the coolest, seeing_stars. What an incredible score form a dumpster!

#40 of 96 Old 05-31-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberSun View Post
What is it and where do yo get it? My mom told me the Queen of Clean recommended a baking soda solution for afids, but I never tried it.
hope its okay to join this discussion. i used baking soda for two different problems this past year. it worked both times, but caused new (less problematic) issues. i assumed it may have contributed to the alkaline soil problem. i went back a few days later with white vinegar solution and spritzed the areas and everything seemed to turn out fine. initial and new problems all resovled...however, it was grass and lemon tree. don't know about doing this to veggies.

as for shade--those are some terrific and elaborate ideas! i use lawn chairs, white sheets, river rock, clothespins, and bungee cord when it's windy, lol! grommets sound wonderful . when it is crazy hot, i go out midday and give the block wall and white sheet a quick spray for relief. it really seems to help.
#41 of 96 Old 05-31-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotsprout View Post
as for shade--those are some terrific and elaborate ideas! i use lawn chairs, white sheets, river rock, clothespins, and bungee cord when it's windy, lol! grommets sound wonderful . when it is crazy hot, i go out midday and give the block wall and white sheet a quick spray for relief. it really seems to help.
Welcome. That's a good idea for shade. I ultimately decided to do metal fence posts then set 2" pvc over them, but when I started adding up the cost for pvc, I'm started freaking out. Money's pretty tight right now so it's just not an easy choice to make.

We have a bunch of trees around our garden and I'm wondering if they will provide enough shade.

Has anyone done a garden and not provided shade? What happened?

#42 of 96 Old 05-31-2010, 05:25 PM

Hi, all. I just want to pop in and say hi. I am a Tucson gardener. I'm actually growing my first in-ground garden after 21 years of gardening in Tucson in above-ground beds. The soil on our land is like clay and there is surprisingly no caliche here. Everything we're growing is doing pretty well . . . except for the basil (I posted another thread about it here before seeing this thread). For those who are growing basil, how is it doing right now?
#43 of 96 Old 05-31-2010, 05:49 PM

Hi May May. Welcome.

I'm also in Tucson. My basil is nice, but it's not really tall yet. I've only grown basil in pots before, but I'm really surprised it's not bigger. It's full and lush, just not tall.

My big problem, as I've stated before, is my bell peppers aren't doing much yet.

Also, are you aware that the community food bank has a gardeners club and you can get a cubic yard of compost for free?

#44 of 96 Old 05-31-2010, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

I priced out PVC the other day @ about $2 per 8 ft piece, it will definitely add up, especially since the shade cloth is $2/ linear foot, eek. Have you tried asking on freecycle or searching craigslist? My large planting pots were all free from either freecycle or friends that know I'm on the lookout for garden things. When we moved in to this house in November there were some old pipes in the backyard, I just pounded some of those into the ground to expand my cucumber trellis, the cucumber plants that I feared would shrivel up and die are growing what seems like several inches per day.

My friend who is really into permaculture has shade structures built from rebar that is bent into curves and welded/wired together then they clip the shade cloth on there with binder clips. My grandpa in Thatcher does not use any type of shade for his plants, but it is at least 10 degrees cooler there than it is here in Mesa. This is a picture of his tomato bed at the end of July last year: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...hofjuly042.jpg , clearly thriving. Who knows, I just don't want to risk losing everything to burn.
#45 of 96 Old 06-01-2010, 01:10 AM

Amazing photo!!

According to homedepot.com, a length of 2" pvc (can't remember if it was 8' or 10') is $4.91. Where did you see it for $2 and how wide was it? That would only cost me $18 plus couplings. I could swing that.

I tried craigslist, but the only stuff available wasn't wide enough to fit over the fence posts. I will call the local used building materials place tomorrow. I hadn't considered freecycle. I haven't been on their in ages.

#46 of 96 Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
Welcome. That's a good idea for shade. I ultimately decided to do metal fence posts then set 2" pvc over them, but when I started adding up the cost for pvc, I'm started freaking out. Money's pretty tight right now so it's just not an easy choice to make.

We have a bunch of trees around our garden and I'm wondering if they will provide enough shade.

Has anyone done a garden and not provided shade? What happened?
thanks for the welcome .

i've tried the no-shade thing. the results were pretty ugly. okra survived the longest.

do you already have fenceposts in place? if so, you could use those with a c-clamp and a piece of rope for securing the shade-cloth. you would end up with 2 rope loops per post. if the fence posts are too close to your veggies you'll need to cover the posts. we have some burnt leaves from heatsinks in the sun. i used gauze and tape because that's what i had at the time.

i also use the area under the deck of our wooden play set. we planted squash there and it's doing great with the half sun the slats provide. getting things started there was quite a chore though.

so glad the hoa doesn't check the backyard .
#47 of 96 Old 06-01-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
Amazing photo!!

According to homedepot.com, a length of 2" pvc (can't remember if it was 8' or 10') is $4.91. Where did you see it for $2 and how wide was it? That would only cost me $18 plus couplings. I could swing that.

I tried craigslist, but the only stuff available wasn't wide enough to fit over the fence posts. I will call the local used building materials place tomorrow. I hadn't considered freecycle. I haven't been on their in ages.
It was at Home Depot and was $2 and some change per piece for either 1.5 or 2 inch.
#48 of 96 Old 06-01-2010, 01:38 PM

One of my beds is pretty much in full sun all day, and that's where I have the peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant because they don't seem to mind. When I have to alternate the plants for next year I'll put the squashes and cucumbers in there because they've done well in there before, and it seems like it's the shadier beds that have the "problems". One bed is directly under a mature grapefruit tree and, like I said, I haven't gotten any cucumbers yet and the zucchini seem to be producing a little slower than last year when they were in full sun. That tree provides shade for all three beds from the harsh late afternoon sun, so nothing gets scorched. I haven't really had to make shade because the tree helps. I was thinking of putting up a large beach umbrella if it seems like a particular area needs shade. I don't really have any "good" ideas for making inexpensive shade, though.

#49 of 96 Old 06-01-2010, 02:07 PM

I called home depot and the price here is $4.91 for 10' of 2". The used materials store I called is $0.50 per foot so no discount.

My corn at the west end is 7' tall and provides great afternoon sun. There are a number of trees around the garden that provide shade at various times of the day. I'm wondering if we'll be fine without additional shade.

#50 of 96 Old 06-05-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I just ordered 2 rolls of shade cloth from amazon(I had amazon cards from Swagbucks). I'll try mounting one side to the house and do poles on the other end. If that doesn't work I'll go with the PVC structure. I was just outside and the plants are looking upset, they won't last if I don't do something quick! I also got a brand new topsy turvy tomato tree at a yard sale for $5. I figured for that price it was worth a shot.
#51 of 96 Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 PM

I have a topsy turvy. Got it before I knew I'd be able to put in a real garden. My tomatoes were planted in it much earlier than in the ground. The plants are smaller and the fruit less abundant.

I looked at a shade structure at a nursery today. They had metal poles in the ground with fasteners at the top that went into grommets in the shade cloth. THEN along the edges, there was wire between each of the poles and the wire was threaded through the cloth to give it support. I wish I'd thought to take a picture. If anyone wants a picture, let me know and I'll see if I can get back there.

#52 of 96 Old 06-05-2010, 10:04 PM

Oh my goodness . . this sun!!! I had to go out with an emergency strategy response yesterday morning and tie up some blankets to whatever I could since what was left uncovered in my garden was really struggling by 10am. For now, we've got a few tarps and blankets tied to the trampoline structure and onto some bricks with holes in them that are at the top of one of our block walls. I'm going to put in some D-rings on the block wall at some point in the near future and get some real shade cloth in order to allow some sun in. The plants were really struggling before I did this and they're still getting some sun in the early morning and late afternoon.
#53 of 96 Old 06-05-2010, 10:44 PM

I'm in Tucson. When I checked on my plants at 5 or 5:30 today, they were fine. I think it's because I have trees around the garden and 7' tall corn on the west. The garden gets moving shade throughout the day. Maybe it's just cooler here or maybe it's the trees. My husband is leaving town tomorrow for 10 days or so and I just won't be able to do anything shade wise while he's gone (the garden is in an unfenced area and my toddler will run away if I take her out there to try and build shade.) I hope my garden survives.

#54 of 96 Old 06-06-2010, 06:35 PM

Hey AZ gardeners. I'm in Sierra Vista, which is 60 miles south of tucson. It doesn't get as hot here as phoenix. In the past 4 years I haven't had any issues with the sun. In July-August, some of my plants like cucumbers will look droopy and dry, but as soon as the sun starts setting they perk back up. I do have an area on the side of my house that gets nice shade all day. I think I will build 4 small beds there for year round gardening cooler/shade veggies. The beds that do the best are the ones I dug right into the ground. I moved rocks, and did the lasagna method to prepare the beds. Layered newspaper, leaves, compost and soil. I was surprised how well they did considering the hard clay. Apparently the newspaper helps break down the clay. So far so good. Everything is getting really big. I am making tomato cages this week that will be 5' tall.
#55 of 96 Old 06-07-2010, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

I ripped out all of my zucchini, I was just so tired of dealing with the powdery mildew and blossom end rot. Good riddance! I'll try again next year. This year has been such a learning experience so far.

We bought a garden torch to burn the evil goat head thorns that we have growing in our future garden area, there are just so many of them, the entire yard was just overgrown. I need to start planning the chain link fence and bringing a water line to that part of the yard. I want to try the lasagna method to soften the ground, trying to convince my brother to organize a service project in my yard, lol.
#56 of 96 Old 06-08-2010, 07:48 PM

My big brother built my garden for me. (Hubby is not extremely handy, lol.) It's a great little "town" garden, so I'm thankful to my brother for his hard work.

I finally found one lonely cucumber in the garden, and it's just a small pickling variety. The dill never came up so I won't be making pickles anyway.

Everything except the green beans still looks pretty good. I just started this new Pounds and Inches diet and I can't eat them for awhile anyway. I'm going to get pretty creative with the eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers that we have, since I can at least still eat those.

The mildewy stuff sounds like what I had on my broccoli and we had to pull it out too. I think it's some kind of bug/fungus/somethingorother, but I'm not sure.

#57 of 96 Old 06-10-2010, 02:52 PM

Garden Pics

I made a new flickr album for this years garden. Check it out. Under sets is last years garden.

23 Tomato plants
10 pepper plants
3 yellow squash
8 okra plants
2 watermelon
9 corn plants
8 green bean plants
3 sunflowers
5 strawberry plants
1 eggplant
4 cucumbers

I started everything from seed except 3 cucumbers and the strawberries.
#58 of 96 Old 06-13-2010, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

great pics SAHMinhawaii!

My shade cloth finally arrived and we built the shade structure this evening. I opted to put the 7 foot metal posts and string rope between them, it was cheap ($5 per post, $2 for rope and some zip ties I already had). I could have taken more time, done the grommets and centered everything perfectly, but I was losing daylight and there is only so much I can do with a baby on my back and 2 little ones underfoot. I think it will work well and the materials can be used in future years.

Here is a link the garden album I just created http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...garden%202010/
#59 of 96 Old 06-13-2010, 01:03 AM

SAHMinHawaii. Thanks for sharing the photos. Your garden is so pretty and organized. Have you considered mulching? It makes a HUGE difference. I had to take my daughter to the ER Tuesday night (she's fine) so the garden didn't get watered. I went outside around 10 am Wed. morning and the ground was still wet--and it hadn't been watered since Monday evening around 5 or 6 pm.

Seeingstars. I tried to see your photos. I REALLY want to see how you did your shade cloth. However, the link keeps asking for a password. I tried searching for Stalkermagnet and nothing comes up. Can you try and post that link again. Thanks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page