*~May Food Growing Mamas Thread~* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 05-05-2010, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am finally back, but in my 8th week of pregnancy and so tired all the time I don't stay up very late and still pretty darn busy. I will try to be here. Though getting ready to move to the East coast so I may not be around too much again for a little while. It's just crazy. Hopefully it will settle down by the end of the year and I will have my own garden again. Getting the garden next door going, but not my own. I will be gardening I'm sure in my in-laws garden while were staying there until we find a place to live. So, moving to NC. I want to stay in one place for a long long time and garden to my hearts content.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 64 Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 AM

Subbing.

ETA, how fitting that this is post #6K of mine...

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#3 of 64 Old 05-05-2010, 12:55 PM

Here's a food growing question:

If I want to have 45 jars of spaghetti sauce (we eat a lot of pasta!) plus 20 smaller jars of salsa (I'm thinking of jar sizes from grocery store) and some to eat right away, how many tomato plants should I plant?

Varieties include: Bonny Best, Yellow Pear (indeterminate), Tiny Tim, Beefsteak, Roma (determinate).

I know it's so hard to tell, but a ballpark figure would be great?

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#4 of 64 Old 05-05-2010, 04:40 PM

From my 1977 "Growing Your Own Vegetables" USDA book

Tomatoes ave. crop expected per 100 ft 100lbs.

in another chart in the same book they tell how many plants to plant per 100 ft, for tomatoes, 50 plants or 1/8 oz. of seed.

The government was pushing for container/square foot gardening even back then..., "For those who must grow their vegetables in small spaces this chart gives the aproxomite number of plants a square foot of container space will accommodate."
in that chart, tomato (regular) 1 plant per square foot , train on trellis. tomato (dwarf) 2 plants per square foot.

In another part of the book it says 'per plant yields for the various crops will vary greatly depending on the variety, the growing season, the area of the counrty, the cultural practices you follow. However, it is reasonable to expect tomatoes to yiels 10-14 lbs. per plant...."

"Joy of Cooking" says 2.5-3.5 pounds of tomatoes per quart canned. Look at your recipe to get more exact amounts since you will be doing salsa and pasta sauce.

1qt = 3 pounds
10 lbs per plant = 3+ qts
45 qts divided by 3 = 15 plants

1 pt = 1.5 pounds
10 lbs per plant = 6+ pts
20 pts divided by 6 = 3+ plants

my guess, at least 18, maybe 20 plants for canning - if you do get 10# per plant, and use 3 pounds per each qt you can.

then your fresh ones... how many tomatoes do you think you want? 10 pounds per person? 20? how many people in your house?
#5 of 64 Old 05-05-2010, 07:15 PM

Omg thank you! You know when something is so completely over your head that you're amazed that there's actually a way of figuring it out? That just happened.

It looks like we're right on track! I have about 24 tomato plants still alive (I thought they would all die but they look much better today) and another 15 getting started (because I thought the others would die). I plan on sharing extra with family and friends.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#6 of 64 Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 PM

I've been wondering about that too. I think I'm going to try my hand at spaghetti sauce, salsa, sauce and sundried tomatoes. I've got thirty plants, so we'll see...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#7 of 64 Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 PM

I usually do about 50 plants, and end up with around 25-30 quart jars of sauce, 20 pint jars of salsa, and 15 pint jars of red enchalladia sauce. I would have more but we love fresh tomatos and I think I eat them every day all summer long. And I roast the tomatos for my sauce and my salsa, which reduces their volume quite a bit.

Remember that more meaty tomatos will give you better canning yeild, (your beefsteak and romas) while the freash eating tomatos (bonny best, yellow pear) will cook down quite a bit. So how many plants you need will vary based on the variety.

And for what it is worth, I also don't get the best yeild from my plants because I do a rather lazy organic garden, so my plants arn't pruned, clipped, pinched, or otherwise encoraged to do their best, and I do lose part of my crop to insects, forgetting to harvest, and animals.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#8 of 64 Old 05-06-2010, 08:42 PM

Well my garden has more than doubled in size since last month. I'm so excited that I can't stop adding things.

This is my first year doing more than dabbling in growing. In the past I've had 2 or 3 tomatoes and a pepper plant or 2 all in containers. Since that's what I'm familiar with I'm doing a square foot garden.

This year I have
8 Rutgers tomatoes (they're supposed to ripen a lot of fruit at once making them good for canning)
2 jalapeno peppers
1 bell pepper
1 Anaheim Chili
1 Gypsy Pepper
4 strawberries
a blueberry bush (self-pollinating)
transplanted raspberry canes
1 hill pie pumpkin
1 hill carving pumpkin
Mint
Italian Parsley
Basil
Garlic Chives
Thyme
Cilantro

Here's a pic so far.

Tomorrow I'm building another bed the same width as the one with the tomatoes, but about a foot longer. It will have 9 sweet potatoes and the 3 remaining squares will be for carrots.

I may have lost my mind here.

Of course after reading the pp about how many plants for canning tomatoes I'm thinking I should have more tomatoes. Somebody stop me.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#9 of 64 Old 05-07-2010, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
Well my garden has more than doubled in size since last month. I'm so excited that I can't stop adding things.

This is my first year doing more than dabbling in growing. In the past I've had 2 or 3 tomatoes and a pepper plant or 2 all in containers. Since that's what I'm familiar with I'm doing a square foot garden.

This year I have
8 Rutgers tomatoes (they're supposed to ripen a lot of fruit at once making them good for canning)
2 jalapeno peppers
1 bell pepper
1 Anaheim Chili
1 Gypsy Pepper
4 strawberries
1 hill pie pumpkin
1 hill carving pumpkin
Mint
Italian Parsley
Basil
Garlic Chives
Thyme
Cilantro

Here's a pic so far.

Tomorrow I'm building another bed the same width as the one with the tomatoes, but about a foot longer. It will have 9 sweet potatoes and the 3 remaining squares will be for carrots.

I may have lost my mind here.

Of course after reading the pp about how many plants for canning tomatoes I'm thinking I should have more tomatoes. Somebody stop me.
Love the pictures of your garden. I wish I was planting already. Seems we are so far behind next door and here. Too much going on.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#10 of 64 Old 05-07-2010, 04:19 PM

I'm jealous of all the planting going on! It's still too cold here and we've spent the last 2 weeks under a wind advisory so there's nothing going on in my garden yet.

DS2 has a sunflower plant and I have some cilantro sitting in the window, but so far, that's it. I can't wait to get my garden going.
#11 of 64 Old 05-07-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
This year I have
2 jalapeno peppers
1 bell pepper
1 Anaheim Chili
1 Gypsy Pepper
4 strawberries
1 hill pie pumpkin
1 hill carving pumpkin
Mint
Italian Parsley
Basil
Garlic Chives
Thyme
Cilantro
I can't access your picture, but I hope you put that Mint in a pot...it can and will take over if left to its own devices! Don't worry if you start small. I think my first year I only canned 4 quarts of pasta sauce. I just always want more.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#12 of 64 Old 05-08-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post
I can't access your picture, but I hope you put that Mint in a pot...it can and will take over if left to its own devices! Don't worry if you start small. I think my first year I only canned 4 quarts of pasta sauce. I just always want more.
Yup the mint, thyme, and parsley are in pots and the basil and cilantro are in the holes of the cinder blocks that make up one of my raised beds.

Though since I heard that mint takes over I've kind of wanted to plant it in my weed filled backyard in hopes that it will take over a bit and make my dogs smell good and smell awesome when it gets mowed. Is that weird?

#13 of 64 Old 05-08-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Though since I heard that mint takes over I've kind of wanted to plant it in my weed filled backyard in hopes that it will take over a bit and make my dogs smell good and smell awesome when it gets mowed. Is that weird?
Nope. Our last house had the whole side yard taken over with mint. The dog would run around in it and then come inside smelling lovely. Kills the grass, however. My DH didn't mind not having to mow, and when it flowered it was actually quite lovely. It was slowly gaining ground, and I imagine at this point the people who bought that house are wondering about ripping it out.

#14 of 64 Old 05-08-2010, 03:02 PM

i have also read that mint repels ants....i have often wondered about letting it grow to replace a section of yard. i planted my chocolate mint right in the ground in my strawberry patch to let it grow like a weed between them, instead of other weeds. so far we have been happy with this....it definitely has spread and is happy and the strawberries seem not to mind at all.

well, we are coming into tomato time. we have been eating yellow cherries as they ripen in the garden, just a couple a day so far, and the first goliath i noticed this morning is finally beginning to turn from green. there are loads of green ones on just about every plant, probably 100 on the bonnie grape and i noticed today we have the beginnings of yellow pears....these were planted later than the rest of the tomatoes. there are also peppers on a lot of different pepper plants.
my onions are about to flower already. They grew really long bulbs but last i checked haven't gotten very fat and round. i am hoping they do that at the last minute; otherwise i might have done something wrong. I have used some of these long skinny red onions already, and they taste fine and sweet, but they are not rounded at all. i planted them in october and i guess i should have fertilized them over winter, which i neglected to do. i made myself stop pulling them for dinner probably 3 or 4 weeks ago, though, so i am hoping to be surprised with fat round onions when it is time to harvest them (which is after they flower and start to turn brown, right?)

Mama to 3 boys 

#15 of 64 Old 05-08-2010, 11:06 PM

tomatoes!!!! yum!!!! Our snow peas are just starting to bloom!!!!!
#16 of 64 Old 05-09-2010, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lots of blooming gong on here! Romas, Campbells 1327, and Early girls. My green bell peppers are blooming and soon I'll have cucumbers.

On a sad note, I think I may have killed my eggplants. All the leaves were holey, like lace, so I googled it and it seems like a simple soap would solve the problem. I made a weak solution of Palmolive and squirted it on the leaves and now the leaves are brown and shriveled but hoping that they survive!!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#17 of 64 Old 05-09-2010, 10:47 AM

Holes on your eggplants probably means flea beetles, for those who have eggplant plants that aren't infected yet with those little buggers or are just starting to get holey... try a row cover, something like a light weight frost cloth to keep the bugs off them, use dry wood ashes on them, sprinkle/dust the plants with the ashes, reapply when it rains or you water and it washes off.

I was told the other day that another method was to 'sacrifice' one of your plants, knick the stem, weaken the plant - the bugs would attack that one and be less likely to get the other ones.

For the PP, if your willing to go buy new plants and have enough of the growing season left for them to produce, leave the weak ones and add a few more to your garden.
#18 of 64 Old 05-10-2010, 01:35 AM

We ate fresh from the garden broccoli tonight, forgot how GREEN good broccoli is!
#19 of 64 Old 05-10-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
We ate fresh from the garden broccoli tonight, forgot how GREEN good broccoli is!
Awesome!

#20 of 64 Old 05-11-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to remind everyone there is a seed swap thread under resources at the top of the DITE forum. Just in case some of you don't know about it.

#21 of 64 Old 05-12-2010, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
subbing!

I'm not exactly "food growing" yet though, living in Alaska, unless you count the itty bitty kale, tomato, cabbage, sage and basil growing on under lights in my kitchen. I'm just about to start hardening them off and they will be in the ground in a couple weeks.

lightheart - your info on tomatoes is fantastic!! You don't happen to have info on dry bush beans do you? I'm hoping to get 100-150lbs of dry beans from 100 plants - give or take if the moose don't eat them all, but I have no idea if that is realistic.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#22 of 64 Old 05-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
I just wanted to remind everyone there is a seed swap thread under resources at the top of the DITE forum. Just in case some of you don't know about it.
I just added mine, if anyone's still doing this...I'll look and see what else I've got to add.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#23 of 64 Old 05-12-2010, 08:58 PM

Hi, Food Growers!

Newbie here! Well, technically, it's DH that does all the work! For Mother's Day he planted me some herbs that he's already made some fabulous dinners with, and a bunch of tomatoes (read: 15 plants of 5 different varieties)! They're all in containers & he waters them on his way to work and when he gets home. Today he fed them some MiracleGro. I tried to talk him into an organic fertilizer, but he wants to use up the stuff we already have. Any recommendations for organic fertilizer?

We're on the coast of Texas, so it's likely too late and too hot already for what we've planted, but we wanted to get started anyway. I have an evil scheme to plant a little loose-leaf lettuce mix once a month over the winter and save money on bagged salads. Hoping to be fully organic by then.

TIA,
-rockport-

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#24 of 64 Old 05-13-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Here's a pic so far.
Love the pic. I also can't stop adding to my garden.

Quote:
Thanks for this info.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#25 of 64 Old 05-13-2010, 12:50 PM

Hello everyone.

This year is my 4 attempt at growing as much as I can for my family. We are in the process of moving to more land so I don't have anything in the ground yet. I have started seeds, I have around 70 tomatoe plants, cucumber, watermelon, cantaloupe, eggplant the list goes on and on. This year I am growing all Heirloom plants. It is my goal to grow all the food my family eats for the year.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#26 of 64 Old 05-13-2010, 12:51 PM

Can I jump in this group too? This is our third year having a garden, and so far, it's doing really well. We live in SE NC, so the season starts early here. I already have a couple of baby squash and zucchini. We've been getting a handful or two of strawberries every day, and lettuce. Our cold weather stuff has actually not done so well this year, because we went straight from winter to temps in the 80's and 90's. We're hoping to get in a second crop this fall. Our broccoli has come up and made nice big plants, but no actual broccoli. hmmm...
This is the first year we have tried potatoes. I kept my seed potatoes in a bag all winter and they came up really quickly back in late March. But I have no idea how to tell when are ready to dig up!

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#27 of 64 Old 05-13-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagin37 View Post
Can I jump in this group too? This is our third year having a garden, and so far, it's doing really well. We live in SE NC, so the season starts early here. I already have a couple of baby squash and zucchini. We've been getting a handful or two of strawberries every day, and lettuce. Our cold weather stuff has actually not done so well this year, because we went straight from winter to temps in the 80's and 90's. We're hoping to get in a second crop this fall. Our broccoli has come up and made nice big plants, but no actual broccoli. hmmm...
This is the first year we have tried potatoes. I kept my seed potatoes in a bag all winter and they came up really quickly back in late March. But I have no idea how to tell when are ready to dig up!
Awesome! We are moving to Greensboro, NC where my DH grew up and his parents live.

Bummer about the weather changing so fast. It does that here too. The potatoes will be ready when they flower.

#28 of 64 Old 05-13-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Awesome! We are moving to Greensboro, NC where my DH grew up and his parents live.

Bummer about the weather changing so fast. It does that here too. The potatoes will be ready when they flower.
Good to know! Ours have not flowered yet. I wondered about that. They've been looking a little droopy lately, even though I am watering. We haven't had any significant rain in weeks.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#29 of 64 Old 05-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Hey cool! I'm originally for Greensboro and go back a couple of times a year to visit my grandfather. That's a nice area.

Oh and you have to try Stamey's BBQ (unless you're a veg). There's one near the coliseum and one on Friendly Ave. Best BBQ ever and the best hush puppies I've ever eaten. Finish with peach cobbler and you have one of my favorite meals.

And to keep this post from being totally OT - Lots of things I planted seeds directly in the ground sprouted yesterday and today. Garlic Chives, Basil, and Pumpkins have poked their heads up. It's so exciting because I've never actually grown anything from seed before.

#30 of 64 Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I can't believe how many of you have things growing to the point of actually eating. Broccoli? How cool.

We had solid frost the last two nights, but my strawberries are in full bloom. (We had 50 plants 3 years ago. A lot more now.) My garlic is growing quickly and the potatoes are in and about 18" high. Nothing else is even started outside yet.

I love seeing photos of other gardens.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page