Grapes in containers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-29-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just finished a deck out back, with a trellis over it to shade our rear window and back door from the sun.

I want to plant something to climb the trellis and fill it in. Grapes seem to make sense for several reasons: we'll eat them ;-), they climb, they have big broad leaves that will provide lots of shade, they don't have thorns. This isn't a great area for them (I think I'm in Zone 9? Los Angeles) but we do have neighbors that grow them.

Only hitch: because of the way the deck is built, it would be awkward to plant them in the ground and have them climb. So I was thinking about putting them in good-sized, aesthetically-pleasing containers on the deck itself.

Will this work? Any thoughts?
#2 of 2 Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm actually trying this out now. I planted mine about mid February (living in a tropical location it was warm enough) and it just started producing leaves a little over a month ago, and they are coming in very fast. This is my first time trying this, so I don't know how it will be further down the road, but so far so good. I had seen someone in my neighborhood with grapes growing along the inside of the roof of a sort of garage, car cover thing, and I looked to see where it was planted. . .small pot, I don't know how they managed that since the pot was also sitting on cement. The amount of bunches of grapes growing makes me feel like it was a trick and the plant wasn't actually in a pot at all, but I couldn't figure out where else it could have been growing from. It couldn't hurt to try I suppose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page