Anyone keep bees? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-02-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My hubby wants to get into bee keeping... (He is allergic to bees how fitting right!!) Anyways I want to get him a good starter book for bee keeping for fathers day... anyone keep bees and have reading recommendations?? Thanks
#2 of 7 Old 06-02-2010, 04:51 PM

My family kept bees through most of my childhood, and to the present day.

If your husband is allergic to bee venom, I strongly suggest he not become a beekeeper. No matter how much my parents or I bundle up before working with the hives or put duct tape over the gloves/ankle cuffs, the bees DO get into your clothes and stings are inevitable.
#3 of 7 Old 06-03-2010, 09:57 AM

If he does decide to get bees, have him go to the doctor to get an epi-pen to keep around the house just in case.

I would do an internet search to see if there are any bee keeper clubs/organizations around your area, local hands on advice is always great. Call the county extension office also, they may be able to get you in contact with other beekeepers in your area, also might have some free publications they could send to you that ypu could add to the book you get him.
#4 of 7 Old 06-03-2010, 08:15 PM

I am reading Beekeeping the Gentle Craft by John F. Adams. Old book my mom gave me from back when they were interested in beekeeping but never got into it. We recently got our first 2 colonies, and are awaiting harvest day!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#5 of 7 Old 06-06-2010, 04:15 PM

I Do, I do! I love it, absolutely love it! I use the "Top Bar hive" method, which is also known as Organic beekeeping. It is a more natural method of keeping bees, same deal pretty much, but they are allowed to draw their own comb etc...

I am reading "the barefoot beekeeper". Really great book, but not really great pictures.

Check out this websight...
http://www.backyardhive.com/

And this is the book
http://www.biobees.com/cb_sale2.html

I have 2 young children and I feel completely safe having the box as honey bees keep to themselves. It is so easy, I wish I got started sooner.

Good luck, keep me updated!

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#6 of 7 Old 06-06-2010, 04:18 PM

Here is another great resource!
http://www.biobees.com/

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#7 of 7 Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 PM

We use standard equipment for our 2 colonies now, but have a top bar hive ready and waiting to catch a swarm from our wild hive.

We are putting 1 more super on each of our hives tonight as the bees have filled the first ones and are capping it off. This will be a nice honey flow!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page