cammomile and lavendar.

Any thoughts on how to get started?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2001, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Personally, I am gonna have to say, I would NEVER do this. Sure tuck some into the existing landscaping. But to plant a whole yard in two plants? May sound nice, but i assure you, it wont look it.

Cause in the winter your yard is gonna look like something the Adams family would plant.

Chamomile is a reseeding annual. It is also very tender. It will die back and be nothing in the fall and winter.

From what you have described, I have a mental image that you are trying to make a wild flower looking field type thing in your yard. Is this what you are going for???

Lavender is not pretty in the winter and I am not sure how well it over winters in your area or how well it does. I have to be pretty careful because my area is too humid for most lavender types.

Please explain to me what you are going for in terms of what you want, how big your yard is, is it close to the street, and WHY you would want to do this.
Old 12-03-2001, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I guess I was being a bit sarcastic...I don't really want to COVER my yard with it, but I would like to have large sections (4x8, maybe) of it. I love the smell of it and would like to grow enough to dry for teas, salves, sachets, etc.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:04 PM

Oh I am right there with you. In my side yard, I am going to put perennial chamomile that I saw in the Johnny's seed catalog. It's cold hardy and the creeping kind...apparently it has fewer flowers than the ones grown for production tea gardens...but you can use them for tea the same way. I think it will look lovely. In the winter, our yard is usually, but not always, covered with snow. In the summer, I usually plant an old wheelbarrow and lobster trap with annuals in reds and pinks...the place where I'm putting the chamomile also has a rock garden nearby...a tall evergreen, and some small lilacs and a couple of maples. I think it will blend in really well and hopefully provide me with inexpensive tea as well!

User Tag List