JUNE food growing mamas! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, mamas!
I guess Cathy must be busy with moving, so i am starting the thread.
How is it going? We have had tons and tons of rain.
I just got digitized and i haven't figured out how to take good pictures yet, but here are a few of my garden:
tomatoes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50665261@N07/4684945909/

herbs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5066526...n/photostream/

todays harvest:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5066526...n/photostream/

i just now remembered dreaming of gigantic hornworms last night so i think i better go out there and patrol!
I hope everyone has an amazing day today!

Mama to 3 boys 

#2 of 27 Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Wow, I'm jealous! My garden looks pitiful compared to that.

Everything's popped up and just needs to grow now. It's been so rainy and chilly this spring that I think my plants just need some sun!
#3 of 27 Old 06-09-2010, 08:00 PM

We have a small space. Here's my photo journal I began two weeks ago (plus a few days). I didn't think about photographing the broccoli harvest. There were five large stalks with multiple florets on each.

I harvest the bay leaves whenever I want a leaf (or a neighbor requests a few). I just got the parsley back to green. When the parsley was thriving earlier in the year, I would cut off about a fistful for each bone broth and soup I made. DD (age 8 then) would harvest the lettuces (3 different varieties) every evening before dinner when we wanted a salad. It bolted when we were on vacation in mid-April. We found out the hard way that it doesn't taste very good at that point.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#4 of 27 Old 06-09-2010, 08:23 PM

I just got everything planted, how's that for being late? Actually, I still have the tomatoes, peppers and tomatillos to transplant. Last frost date of June 1st and I was still putting up the fence as of Monday. I chose quicker growing varieties, so hopefully we'll be ok. My tomato plants are pretty small (hoping they'll get their groove on when planted in the garden) and DH's farmer friend is always bugging me about them.

I can't believe how busy I am between the garden, our yard and the house. It's our first spring in our house/not renting. I feel like I'm been doing stuff all day long. I just came in from mowing the front lawn. The back can wait until whenever. I don't care.

So, I have planted:
  • yellow cucumbers, zucchini
  • carrots, rutabagas, parsnip, beets
  • romanesca, spaghetti squash, buttercup and pumpkin
  • yellow and green beans, 2 types of peas, 2 types of potatoes.
  • Misc flowers. Actually I sort of used flowers as markers for rows/separation and I have to say I'm loving the look. Adds some colour and pizazz before everything grows.

My back is killing me and I have a ginormous blister on my hand. And I still love it! So much nicer doing all this than living in a big apt block with nothing to do all day. Not to mention I finally got my hammock up so I'd dig a couple rows for potatoes then rest in hammock. Dig, rest in hammock. I love my hammock.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#5 of 27 Old 06-10-2010, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

oh, i love your bay, sunnysandiegan
that is the one culinary herb i really want but i haven't been able to find one yet.

well, the baby can't eat tomatoes (he is 14 months). i gave him just one (cherry) in the garden and he ate less than half but his butt broke out like it burned him as fire coming out

Mama to 3 boys 

#6 of 27 Old 06-10-2010, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I don't usually post here since I'm still small scale gardening but now that we're eating something we harvest daily I feel like I count a little.

My 6 tomato plants are thriving this year, growing their first few tomatoes now, all of them doing well for the first time ever. The pole beans grew up fast and now we're eating green beans, the summer squash are doing great and we've had a few of those. Tomatillo leaves are covered in holes but the plants are going strong, beginning to set fruit. Blackberries every day with breakfast from our little planting. I just thinned the carrot patch and we snacked on spicy little carrots. Wondering if my watermelon plants are going to do their thing, still tiny for now.

It makes me so happy to see progress every day and pick and eat things, lame as mine seems compared to some of your little farms. I started weighing everything that comes in and keeping a spreadsheet of my harvest so I'll really know what I got by the end of the season. I'll keep track of what it was worth, I'd love to prove I broke even or better after gardening costs, maybe justify putting that money saved into next year's garden when I'll triple the size of it.

ms shell, poor baby hope he recovered quickly. I avoided tomatoes with my LO a while, but he's so insistent about eating things at 12 months I pretty much let him have a little of everything now. I have to cook some of it like the carrots since no molars. He doesn't digest it all but no tummy upsets or rashes anymore now.
#7 of 27 Old 06-10-2010, 02:52 PM

I don't know if I count. This is my first year attempting a garden. I have 26 tomato plants that I bought as starter plants (Rutgers and Roma for canning, and 4 varieties of Heirloom plus one cherry tomato plant), 18 bell pepper plants, 10 assorted hot pepper plants, as well as cucumbers, squash, pumpkin, kale, green, wax, and lima beans started from seed. So far the stuff I stared from seed is doing great but my tomato transplants got off to a very slow start. I also started late, about a month after our last frost. Oh I also have some lettuce that I planted awhile ago and it is doing pretty good still.

ETA ms.shell your bean trellis looks awesome! I need to make something like that.
#8 of 27 Old 06-10-2010, 03:06 PM

Garden
Here is my garden. I started everything from seed except the strawberries and the 3 cucumber plants.
23 Tomato plants
10 pepper plants
3 yellow squash
8 okra plants
2 watermelon
9 corn plants
8 green bean
3 sunflowers
5 strawberry
1 eggplant
4 cucumbers
#9 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 03:26 AM

I'm pitiful and still here. Barely. Hanging on to my sanity by a thread, and nothing has happened out in the yard except buckets and buckets of rain and lots and lots of weeds. If anybody wants to come over to my yard/garden and make it look pretty, just PM me.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#10 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

oh, lmonter, i am sorry you are so overwhelmed. i remember seeing pix of your beautiful garden last year and i have been feeling bad for you hearing about your troubles this year.

i came in here to tell ya'll about our dinner last night. my harvest yesterday included a yellow squash, 2 red onions, and of course we have lots and lots of tomatoes. i was making a roast. i put it in the dutch oven and then put in the onions cut up, a whole lot of grape and cherry tomatoes whole, the squash sliced, and even the handful of purple beans i had harvested. then i harvested and chopped up a lot of thyme, oregano, and some rosemary. i sprinkled on a few drops of worchestershire sauce and then i was going to add a little water but on a whim used some apple juice instead. OMG! I wasn't sure about cooking the squash in with the roast but it was incredibly yummy. BUT the grape tomatoes OMG definitely try cooking grape or cherry tomatoes in with a roast! They were like little explosions of deliciousness and even tho i put in a WHOLE lot of them, we were arguing over the last ones in the dish before we left the table. That was without a doubt the best roast dinner i have ever cooked or eaten.

it looks like its going to be a pretty day here, but hot and humid (hopefully we wont smell oil today; yesterday i did)...so i need to get out there and tie up the yellow pears and weed. i hope everyone has an amazing day today!

Mama to 3 boys 

#11 of 27 Old 06-12-2010, 05:02 AM

Well hey, if anybody's looking for a great house in a sorta small town atmosphere here in the pacific northwest, let me know. Comes with wood stoves, fabulous heavy duty pantry shelves, new windows, new floors, fruit trees, 1200sf of current garden space, lots of perennial goodies outside, etc.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#12 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

that sounds so lovely, lmonter. If I was in that part of the country, I would love to come help you; and it sounds like just the kind of place I would love to buy.

Hey, do ya'll think I should cut the bean plants off at the top of the trellis? I thought I should, but dp disagreed, so I haven't. And they are growing long over the top and falling back down and it sure looks messy. But of course there are now lots of bean flowers on those parts, and so I hate to cut off those potential beans; guess I missed my chance to cut them back.
I planted some asparagus beans this year and we harvested the first ones today. HOLY MOLY are those beans long. I think I recall the package said a foot long but we had some that were at least 18 inches long! They are much thinner than the other pole beans we harvested....I think they were not really ready yet, tho, but dp wanted them in the pot, so we pulled a few. If they fatten up like regular beans then they will really be amazing.

I think I am going to pull my squash plants all out tomorrow and claim that space which I could sure use; the vine borers are here and they are not looking great and not producing. We ate all of ONE squash this year! i find it so odd that we have success with so many vegetables, but squash, which is reported to be so easy and abundant, has been a total flop for us all three years so far. Next year, I am planting them even earlier, on March 1, and if we do not eat lots of zucchini then I am not going to waste our space on them anymore!
I need to weed badly but our heat index has been over a hundred all week (i thought i heard a radio dj say 110 today), so I have watered and harvested but otherwise stayed largely indoors. Hoping to get out and do a lot of things in the morning tomorrow.
Hope ya'll are all smiling and well!

Mama to 3 boys 

#13 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 09:15 AM

I'm having some bug issues this year. It's a daily battle with the flea beetles. I planted 120 peppers this year and they are trying their best to destroy them. I've managed to hang on to about 90 of them.

The tomatoes, squash, peas and lettuce is doing very well. I should have some peas by the end of the week.

The beans are decimated. I'll try to replant those.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#14 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 AM

So jealous of those of you in zones that you're harvesting tomatoes and such!! We're drowning in lettuce.

Our tomatoes are loving the heat we had last week and starting to flower. We're in for another 80-90 degree stretch so as much as *I* hate the heat, I know the plants will love it.
WE had some serious wind (a tornado watch in MA!) last week and it snapped a lot of our potatoes, so we were worried about them but they *seem* to be okay. We built a removable double bed for them to set on top of the regular bed, so we could hill them to the extreme...they look so amazing, I will cry great heaving sobs if we go to dig them up and that bin is empty.
Our radishes were our first real fail. WE need to be more aggressive thinners, period. Succession crop #2 is going in today, with a new motto: "kill kill kill." I hate thinning but clearly we need to be merciless.

Corn, beans, squash, cukes, herbs are all chugging along. Cabbages are heading up, broccoli is weak. Peas are growing, but I think we put them in a couple weeks too late. Strawberries and raspberries look great - we've eaten some strawberries off our first year plants, and our first year canes have raspberry flowers. Should we be pinching those off?

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#15 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Everything in my garden is up (except my carrots. still) and it's not growing. Nothing is growing at all right now. I'm guessing it's the weather, but I'm so impatient! It's been much cooler this year, I think the highest we've gotten so far is 75, so I hope when we finally do get some heat, everything will go crazy.
#16 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 01:39 PM

So far, so good... all our plants are thriving since I have been watering every single day. Our weather isn't even particularly hot, yet. Mostly in the high 60s and low 70s with a few spikes into the high 70s. The watermelon looks like it is going to topple the trellis already. The peppers are getting really bushy, as is the "compact" heirloom tomato plant. My parsley is fully revived and looks downright gorgeous. I hardly want to harvest any.

Small Space Garden Photo Journal
I've been photographing every Monday (different times of day on purpose to note sun exposure) and it is amazing how much growth is occurring in less than one week now. This is FUN!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#17 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

i love your photo journal, sunny.

here's what we harvested today. DP just popped up in that picture when I wasn't expecting him, to be silly. I measured one of those asparagus beans and it was just over 19" long. I had to cut the basil heavily today, as it wants to flower already!
Hope ya'll are having a nice day today.

Mama to 3 boys 

#18 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So jealous of those who are already harvesting! We just planted the middle of May, so we've got a bit to go. Our garden is about 650sq feet, we've got 3 rows of tomatos, corn, green beans, cucumbers, jalepenos, and banana peppers. I've also got canteloupe, watermelon, and herbs in planters.

The corn and beans are lagging behind some, we had to replant both. They're doing good now, though! I finally bought a pressure canner, so I'm really looking forward to canning them (I hate freezing veggies).
#19 of 27 Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Blackberries are over already they were nice while they lasted. I wish I had lettuce in my garden, if I had that I believe we'd do fine without any buying veggies all summer long. So happy with our green beans, squash, and carrots. The tomatoes are slow to ripen, but there are lots of fruit. Watch them all ripen when I have to go away next month for a week and give any produce harvesting over to the neighbors. Humph.
#20 of 27 Old 06-21-2010, 03:13 PM

[QUOTE=ms.shell;15539684]

Fabulous harvest!
#21 of 27 Old 06-22-2010, 12:39 PM

We are starting to get a few tomatoes here, and the squash and cucumbers are coming on strong. I'm hoping to make pickles tonight. Unfortunately the deer are coming on strong too, and I'm not sure that I will have any peas left if I don't do something soon. Anyone have any good suggestions (other than a fence) for keeping out deer? I've read about a number of things online, but just wondering if any of them work.
#22 of 27 Old 06-25-2010, 09:00 AM

Well, June has been sort of a hard month on our little garden. May was very wet, and brought everything on beautifully, but June has been utterly scorching hot and dry. Vine borers got all of my yellow squash and zucchini, and the pumpkin that had volunteered out the compost. It looks like our romas didn't come up, but we've got tons and tons of cherry tomatoes, and one other variety I can't recall off the top of my head. The broccoli went straight to seed. The beans are still doing well, and the cantaloupe plants are very healthy and beginning to flower. The okra has also started to produce, and the peppers just love it here. I also had a sweet potato sprout in the compost, I think I'll leave it and see if how it does. Our white potatoes were very good, I wish now that we had planted more. Maybe we'll get a fall crop in.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#23 of 27 Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 AM

We're finally getting some heat and sunshine and my garden's loving it! Things are finally growing, but we're still so far from any harvesting. I may not get a tomato until September at this rate.
#24 of 27 Old 06-26-2010, 11:16 AM

I'm here, haven't read all the posts here and I still have some boxes to un-pack and the house to clean by next Weds. So, I'm around and trying to get back into posting here. Currently taking care of my MIL's garden. It's not much, but I figure by next year I'll be back in the swing of things.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#25 of 27 Old 06-27-2010, 10:29 AM

We're one of those families that keeps moving to a new house every year (some sort of weird habit I just can't seem to break ) This is the smallest garden I've had in about 8 or 10 years, but I think I'm rocking it out properly and adding on to it bit by bit.

We had the most delicious fresh pesto pizza with jalepenos both from the garden last night (also had portobellas, walnuts, bell peppers and cheese, none of which I can take credit for). Lettuce is still going strong, I think because it's a mix of seeds, and has afternoon shade. So some have bolted, but where I pull those, the other plants just get bigger

I bought rhubarb plant and service berry bush yesterday and am super excited to get those in the ground today! Those are going to go in a part of the yard that's on the edge of a tiny wooded hill that the kids build a fort in, so they can come out and pick berries from their fort.

Julie
http://root-children.blogspot.com

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#26 of 27 Old 06-28-2010, 12:48 PM

At this rate I'll probably be going to u-picks and canning more than growing.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#27 of 27 Old 06-28-2010, 04:16 PM

I updated my small space garden photojournal.

Neighbors are in the throes of toddlerhood and TTC, so they are going to let us borrow as many of their now-empty pots as we want. I may end up with a jungle back here!!!

What can I grow now in San Diego? It is late June and our warmest months are still to come (July, August, September, and October...sometimes midway through November, too)..... I'll have some large pots from the neighbors and full sun and partial sun areas to put them.

What would you plant in these colorful pots?

They are small and have no drainage hole. I was thinking originally of them being outside because of the lovely colors, but now I don't know what would work in this small of a pot. I was thinking of leaving the plants in the plastic growing pots for drainage and adding a layer of rocks under the plastic pot inside the ceramic pot. Or, I could drill a drainage hole. They seemed bigger in the store. I could use a couple inside for small houseplants. I could line the front walkway with them, which would look pretty.

What could I put in them that can handle mostly shade and a lot of neglect? There is no watering source out front and I always forget those poor plants. They are all dead now except my coleus (sp?), which did better last year in the full shade. A couple trees were removed and now there is more light, although it is still diffused most of the day. Any direct sunlight comes in the morning, but that is only farther down the wall away from the front door.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page