why won't they bear fruit? (strawberries and raspberries) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-11-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ive been checking my strawberry plants - no fruit! they bloomed some and no fruit!!! i planted them the year before last and there was hardly any fruit when i planted them, but i thought, well its first year, they have to get settled. but they ve had hardly any fruit at all, and this year i dont see any!!!!
same thing with raspberries. they produced some the first year we planted them, and then this year there s hardly any berries! they've spread around, but theres hardly anything on old plants, not just the new ones!!!
it is so disappointing - i water them and all, and there nothing!
#2 of 6 Old 06-11-2010, 01:35 PM

Raspberries come in two types, everbearing and...well...not. Everbearing will produce berries every year, but only on their new growth. Old canes will not produce berries. The other kind grows the canes the first year, fruit on those canes the second year. Then those canes will not produce fruit.

Some strawberries are also an every other year type of deal. One year they spread, the next year they fruit. Spread, fruit. Spread, fruit. So they could be in a spreading year rather than a fruiting year. They also won't fruit if you got a late frost that killed the blooms, or if you don't have pollination.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#3 of 6 Old 06-12-2010, 05:15 AM

I was going to say you may have a pollination problem. Do you see any bees, birds, whatever bouncing around in the yard?

Berries tend to have a 3 year cycle. The year of fruit output varies by berry, but still.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#4 of 6 Old 06-12-2010, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

we do have birds and ive seen a few bees here and there. it's just so strange, growing up i remember we had berries almost every year, at least a little bit.
i forget which varieties we have now, but we bought them at a local nursery where we buy the rest of our stuff and everything else does very well
#5 of 6 Old 06-12-2010, 10:42 AM

Could be that you need more nutrients in the soil. I use mushroom compost (organic of course) and that always helps whatever I have planted to have a better yield.

The birds give me a headache, sometimes, by the time I notice I have a red, ripe strawberry, the birds have already gotten to it!
#6 of 6 Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 AM

With strawberries, it seems to help if you cut them back/get a bit agressive with them. My mom had strawberries that grew like crazy but hardly made any fruit, so one year she rototilled a strip through the patch and got more berries than she had had for several years combined. I took a spade to my strawberry patch this spring and chopped the runners up a bit, and they are now full of fruit. One book I have suggests cutting all of the plants right back each fall.

Raspberries- yes, clear out old canes, and feed it some compost. My old patch is a weedy mess, and I'm noticing a decrease in fruit each year. I'm slowly moving canes to a new patch.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page