*~July 2010 Food Growing Mamas Thread~* - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 43 Old 07-26-2010, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
had a very productive weekend in the garden, all the weeds are picked! It is picture worthy! Picked and froze the remaining spinach that was going to seed. Spent a couple of hours on Sat picking raspberries and made jam last night. Yesterday I convinced dh to go wild blueberry picking and we picked for 4 hours, I am freezing them on cookie sheets right now.

I have the best cucumbers this year, picked 2 more last night. Potatoes, onions, and garlic have produced well. Sad that I didn't get leeks this year.

Still waiting on our summer squash, beans, peas, peppers and tomotoes. We are finally getting some heat in the day but they are not far off. Winter squash, beets, kolrabi, corn, carrots all continue to grow but are still a ways off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 07-30-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
Our garden is doing good, beans are coming out of our ears at this point, I'm sick of green beans at the moment. Beware if you walk past my house - you cannot pass unless you take a yellow squash! It's actually not that bad, but you know how it is when you dream and dream that harvest time gets here then all of a sudden you have loads of one veggie and no more creative ideas on eating them, that's where we are at with the beans and squash.
Address??

I usually post on the container thread (and still will since my pots are here to stay!) but I am so excited that I am FINALLY getting to put in a raised veggie bed. We rent, so we had to get the ok, and it can't be huge.. but I'm happy! So tomorrow I have a cubic metre of good quality soil & compost mix coming and I have one 1.2m square bed to put up... and I'm going to get another one for the rest of that soil

I'm going to give the soil a week to settle, and by then my seed order should be here. It's technically late winter here... although we pretend to have winter at the most lol, so I can plant just about anything. I've started purple king beans (for the kids, colour changing fun!) and am ordering cucumber, capsicum, carrots and some assorted 'squash' (zukes, yellow button and a butternut I think) and can't WAIT to get started making bean teepees and such!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#33 of 43 Old 07-30-2010, 07:02 AM

Finally! I picked our first 2 zucchini yesterday (still on the small side but I couldn't wait), some green beans and two peas. I can tell already, we are going to have so many beans!

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#34 of 43 Old 07-31-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post
Finally! I picked our first 2 zucchini yesterday (still on the small side but I couldn't wait), some green beans and two peas. I can tell already, we are going to have so many beans!
Heather, I follow your blog! I love seeing how your home reno's are going, and especially your garden I so can't wait for the day when I can really take over the back yard with veggies

So I ended up making a run to the garden centre and grabbed another 'prefab' garden bed (hubby is not incredibly handy and has no tools ) and now I have TWO freshly built & filled 1.2m square beds (4ft square) just waiting for plants. All my seed have sprouted and are working their way towards being ready to xplant, and I couldn't resist grabbing a few from the garden centre (justification: kids will not get ON the beds if they can SEE things growing, right? ) I'm going to sq. ft style as I'm limited on space.. but I'm so excited!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#35 of 43 Old 07-31-2010, 08:43 AM

Thanks Cari! It's crazy how addictive this gardening thing is! I'm pretty much stuck with the size of my garden because of the heavy duty fencing I put in (not that it's a small space ) but already I'm thinking of all the nooks and crannies I can pack more into next year. I'm already thinking about what will be planted where next (crop rotation) and how much I want to grow next year. More peas, more chard, less peppers, more corn?, try some dried beans etc. Am I crazy?! This years garden has just barely started!

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#36 of 43 Old 08-01-2010, 04:46 PM

Hey green-thumbed mums, My potatoes are flowering, but Im not sure what to do next?

OO, ill add a bit about my garden since Im a new one to the tribe, we (its a family affair for the most part) have a 2m by 3m ish veggie garden with wooden steaks, chicken coop and rocks protecting it. There is, (among all the weeds) onions, carrots, corn, potatoes, parley, chives..and we didnt label, so now we forget whats in there. We planted in early june, I also have a aloe vera plant that is my pride and has become large and juicy & I have ivy strands coming off of it.

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#37 of 43 Old 08-02-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
I don't know if I can eat another tomato (of course they aren't varieties that are my favorites so its not like an orgasm every time you eat one), but there aren't enough to make anything with.
Now wait a minute.. you cannot make a comment like that and NOT specify WHAT TYPE of tomato that would be

Yesterday we got both garden beds built, filled and planted! I put in a couple of squares of baby carrots, some spring onions, capsicum, yellow button squash and silverbeet/chard. Direct seeded some bush cucumbers (I think they are bush anyway? Hubby bought the seeds, they're called spacemaster) and basil

So, does it make me a garden geek that I could laze an afternoon away just watching the garden? And that I can't wait to have more going on out there?

#38 of 43 Old 08-02-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianhippie View Post
Hey green-thumbed mums, My potatoes are flowering, but Im not sure what to do next?
Barging in to tell ya that about 2 wks after they flower we start diggin'.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#39 of 43 Old 08-02-2010, 05:27 PM

My garden's just going crazy right now!

My tomatoes are all still green, my peppers aren't doing anything at all and I'm still waiting to see some pumpkins.

I'm swimming in green beans and peas. My zucchini has finally come in and I'm picking 3-4 a day at least. My cucumbers slow. I usually get 1 a week.

Oh and I've got lots of baby watermelons and only 1 little canteloupe so far.
#40 of 43 Old 08-02-2010, 05:32 PM

I've got about 5 yellow crooknecks coming in each week. The cucumbers and pickles were hit pretty hard with powdery mildew and have slowed down a lot. I'm only getting about 10 a week now. The zucchini are still producing. The peppers have tons of small fruit, I've seen the first hint of orange on my tomatoes, and the green beans are starting to flower. I'm in a major lull waiting for the tomatoes and peppers. I want salsa!!

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#41 of 43 Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Now wait a minute.. you cannot make a comment like that and NOT specify WHAT TYPE of tomato that would be
Heh.

I'll have to go look for my list, but I remember these:

Isis Candy
Pineapple

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#42 of 43 Old 08-04-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
Barging in to tell ya that about 2 wks after they flower we start diggin'.
thats what we do too! we dug ours up last weekend and planted another crop and they have taken off amazingly well...we will dig these up mid october(or sooner if frost looms).
#43 of 43 Old 08-04-2010, 03:03 PM

Oh man this is a fun thread!!
This is my 3rd year gardening but the first year I have gotten anything useful out of my garden I had a ton of peas (omg soooo gooood!), some sugar snap peas and we just got done with broccoli harvest. My family is pretty sick of broccoli atm! I grew Packman variety and boy do they get HUGE heads on them!! I've got some Decicco coming up for a fall harvest, hopefully. Potatoes are flowering now and there are a ton of zucchini to be picked - I think one of my plants must be sitting on a good pocket of compost because it is much bigger than the others. We are also growing carrots (not many, I had trouble getting them to sprout well), onions, lettuce, bok choy, tomatoes (got some itty bitty green ones, so we'll see if they get ripe before the frosts come), purple green beans, and a couple peppers, more tomatoes and eggplant in pots. Eggplant is not happy but oh well. I need to pull up my sugar snap peas and plant some spinach and arugula here soon.

I too am already looking forward to next year!!! DH really wants corn...

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page