*~July 2010 Food Growing Mamas Thread~* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 07-02-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, July is already here. My birthday is in 6 more days! Chocolate chocolate cake here I come.

Well, seems like this year I'm not doing so much food growing, but I am getting all the info I can on the area including zones and frost dates. So far, it seems like we have a pretty good length growing season here. I'm really excited about starting winter sowing again in late Dec., but that is quite a ways off. I need to get some worms for my can-o-worms so I can use the juice for my MIL's maters. They seem to like to keep water on them at all times. I'm just going with it. I guess I can't control how things are grown until I have my own. Oh well, they are taking good care of us so I can't complain too much. I'm still going to try to go to some u-picks, esp. for apples, to do some canning.

Would love to hear what you all are growing so I can live vicariously through you for now.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#2 of 43 Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garden is chugging along. We replanted the green beans and corn, they're doing pretty well. We've got teeny cucumbers and peppers and the tomato plants have flowered so we'll have little tomatoes soon. I'm dying for some friend green tomatoes, I can't wait!!!

Happy early birthday Dd2 will be 5 on the 14th!
#3 of 43 Old 07-02-2010, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi thought I'd join in this thread, its my first attempt at gardening and growing fruits/veg this year!
We're doing really well, we have a cherry tree in our garden in memory of our little girl, and that had a bumper crop of cherries this year.
We have put in a raised veg bed, and we're having a go at growing french beans, radishes, pak choi/oriental salad, courgettes, carrots, oh and pumpkins! And we have some strawberry plants.
The only problem so far is, we had some maggots in our radishes, but have read that putting wood shavings down should help.
We also have a walk in greenhouse, where we are growing tomatoes, so far loads of tomatoes but still green. We are also growing in there chillies, spring onions, basil.

My 3 year old planted some sunflowers, which are now 8-10ft tall and beautiful!! He is so proud, me too

And my fav thing of all, we are going to have a go at growing some French Lilac trees from seed, I love, love, love them!

So for our first year we're doing pretty well so far, I never thought I'd love gardening.

Me and hubby, plus ds 6, angel dd, little mc angels and finally our little rainbow baby, 30 weeker miracle.
#4 of 43 Old 07-02-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna-forever View Post
Hi thought I'd join in this thread, its my first attempt at gardening and growing fruits/veg this year!
We're doing really well, we have a cherry tree in our garden in memory of our little girl, and that had a bumper crop of cherries this year.
We have put in a raised veg bed, and we're having a go at growing french beans, radishes, pak choi/oriental salad, courgettes, carrots, oh and pumpkins! And we have some strawberry plants.
The only problem so far is, we had some maggots in our radishes, but have read that putting wood shavings down should help.
We also have a walk in greenhouse, where we are growing tomatoes, so far loads of tomatoes but still green. We are also growing in there chillies, spring onions, basil.

My 3 year old planted some sunflowers, which are now 8-10ft tall and beautiful!! He is so proud, me too

And my fav thing of all, we are going to have a go at growing some French Lilac trees from seed, I love, love, love them!

So for our first year we're doing pretty well so far, I never thought I'd love gardening.
Sounds like your garden is doing wonderfully. Wow, those are tall sunflowers already. That is awesome! I can't wait until next year. I have lots of plans. Muahahahahaha!

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#5 of 43 Old 07-02-2010, 06:16 PM

I'd like to join We are getting ready to put the fall garden in. I'm thinking more green beans, lettuce and spinach.

So far we have a ton of green tomatoes and a bunch of green beans. The peas didn't do like I imagined. I already pulled them to make room for the fall veggies.

Sounds like everyones gardens are doing good!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#6 of 43 Old 07-04-2010, 11:51 AM

Hi, ya'll.

i am confused about fall planting. Last year I did it like middle October, which I thought was right, and that did not go well. I thought it was a compost mistake, because we dumped out our first real big load of crumbly stuff just before planting seeds...and then almost nothing came up! But my onions and garlic, which did make it, did not do nearly as well as expected, so I am wondering if my dates were all wrong. Kriket says she is about to fall plant already, Cathy says she is waiting until December; I need to find out when and what to plant next and then later.

I have some space, now. I had to pull the zucchinis and so my back bed has some big brown spots (well, actually they are mostly green right now) I was thinking I could try to plant bush beans; I have a lot of those. I skipped the bush types this year (except for baby limas), planning to have plenty of pole types on the trellis. Well. I guess asparagus beans are bush types after all.....because they didn't grow tall and seem just about done. My trellis is mostly bare in the middle section now, and I have not seen much abundance in beans from the pole types on either end. Think I could still get bush beans in? zone 8b. or else i have some peppers to transplant (which should have been already done).

Our tomatoes are still okay; we are bringing in lots and lots of yellow pears right now. Had to pull up a grape tomato that yielded heavily first and made it to well over 7 feet. He seemed infected and I didn't want it to spread down the row. And my lemon boy who was attacked by a hornworm will be next. I am not sure if it has given me any more fruit since it was eaten. I have jubilees I grew from seed in large pots to replace any in the rows who come out. The large heirlooms haven't fruited yet but the Romas are ripening. We need to get some longer stakes; the tomatoes look floppy and messy right now! Peppers our our biggest producers. We are growing lots of bells and lots of hot varieties.

I need to weed badly. but it is so hot! and watering well takes an hour. And I am busy inside. lol The heat of the summer is when my garden suffers the most. It is still happy tho and the herb garden looks pretty, at least. And we are definitely growing our produce....I don't have to shop for veggies at all now.

I think I am going to try more green bush beans to fill that empty space.

Mama to 3 boys 

#7 of 43 Old 07-04-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
Hi, ya'll.

i am confused about fall planting. Last year I did it like middle October, which I thought was right, and that did not go well. I thought it was a compost mistake, because we dumped out our first real big load of crumbly stuff just before planting seeds...and then almost nothing came up! But my onions and garlic, which did make it, did not do nearly as well as expected, so I am wondering if my dates were all wrong. Kriket says she is about to fall plant already, Cathy says she is waiting until December; I need to find out when and what to plant next and then later.

I have some space, now. I had to pull the zucchinis and so my back bed has some big brown spots (well, actually they are mostly green right now) I was thinking I could try to plant bush beans; I have a lot of those. I skipped the bush types this year (except for baby limas), planning to have plenty of pole types on the trellis. Well. I guess asparagus beans are bush types after all.....because they didn't grow tall and seem just about done. My trellis is mostly bare in the middle section now, and I have not seen much abundance in beans from the pole types on either end. Think I could still get bush beans in? zone 8b. or else i have some peppers to transplant (which should have been already done).

Our tomatoes are still okay; we are bringing in lots and lots of yellow pears right now. Had to pull up a grape tomato that yielded heavily first and made it to well over 7 feet. He seemed infected and I didn't want it to spread down the row. And my lemon boy who was attacked by a hornworm will be next. I am not sure if it has given me any more fruit since it was eaten. I have jubilees I grew from seed in large pots to replace any in the rows who come out. The large heirlooms haven't fruited yet but the Romas are ripening. We need to get some longer stakes; the tomatoes look floppy and messy right now! Peppers our our biggest producers. We are growing lots of bells and lots of hot varieties.

I need to weed badly. but it is so hot! and watering well takes an hour. And I am busy inside. lol The heat of the summer is when my garden suffers the most. It is still happy tho and the herb garden looks pretty, at least. And we are definitely growing our produce....I don't have to shop for veggies at all now.

I think I am going to try more green bush beans to fill that empty space.
Usually Fall garden planting is in July and August. I was just talking about WSing which would be planting for next Spring. WSing needs cool weather to start. October is definitely too late because you need the warm weather to germinate the seeds and get the plants growing. Sorry for the confusion. I really won't be able to plant anything this year, no space for anymore plants in MIL's garden. I'm just tending to her plants as much as I can.

#8 of 43 Old 07-05-2010, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This year is the first year I;ve had space to plant things in the ground. Previous years we've had a couple of grow bags of tomato plants and that is it.

This year we've planted
runner beans - just starting to flower
french beans - just starting to flower
courgettes - several small fruits but not quite ready to pick
aubergines - flowers but no sign of fruits yet
peppers - lots of flowers and a couple of small fruits
cucumbers - just starting to fruit
and finally lots of tomatoes - flowering and just starting to set fruits.

I'm really enjoying watching it all grow. Next year we are hoping to get a bit more garden landscaped and then we should have space for some raspberry canes and possibly fruit trees. We'll see what happens.

I also want to get some herbs started in pots, which we can then move into the ground once we know where the beds will go. At our previous house we had a huge bay tree and rosemary bush and I miss them a lot. The dried versions are just not the same.
#9 of 43 Old 07-05-2010, 04:20 PM

My garden's finally picking up. All my cucumbers, squash and zucchini are flowering and I've got a few little squash. I noticed some tiny green tomatoes this morning too. Everything else is just growing like crazy so hopefully soon I'll be harvesting alot.

I did cut my whole row of spinach the other day and it needs it again.
#10 of 43 Old 07-06-2010, 11:00 AM

I'm bringing in tomatoes and peppers everyday now. I'll be canning my first batch of tomatoes today

Strawberries surprised me yesterday. I thought they were done, but I found 4 tiny ripe berries! DD loved them.

I'm a bit concerned about my pumpkin vines. They're small and don't look all that healthy and have no fruit yet. I hope I get at least a few small pumpkins.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#11 of 43 Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
I'm bringing in tomatoes and peppers everyday now. I'll be canning my first batch of tomatoes today

Strawberries surprised me yesterday. I thought they were done, but I found 4 tiny ripe berries! DD loved them.

I'm a bit concerned about my pumpkin vines. They're small and don't look all that healthy and have no fruit yet. I hope I get at least a few small pumpkins.
Yay! I can't wait to can tomatoes. I'm hoping next year I will be canning my first batch of tomatoes. Imagine that, I haven't canned tomatoes yet.

#12 of 43 Old 07-07-2010, 01:35 AM

I'll live vicariously through most of you guys. It's been a sucky year. What is finally planted in the garden doesn't get watered regularly, and with the weather going from two months of solid Seattle/Portland-like rain to a week of 90* to another few weeks of cool rain, poor plants don't know which end is up.

I do however have three batches of strawberry freezer jam already in the freezer. 10bs of strawberries doesn't turn into as much puree as you'd think. Then hubby and I went and picked 30 more pounds of strawberries from a farm the other day. I've run out of the little freezer jars though. Sigh. Need to get a boatload more in the next few days. Darn bottomless pits of kids. I guess at least they have good taste.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#13 of 43 Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 PM

lmonter- That's great! I picked 10lbs of strawberries at a farm before I threw in the towel. It was so hot! If I go again, I need to get there at 7am when they open!!! I'm planning on making a batch of strawberry jam and another of strawberry rhubarb. Rhubarb is from my backyard.

Besides that, I have an abundance of radishes (should have planted them successively!) with enough to eat and give away. I've been picking a bit of basil to eat also.

I'm eagerly waiting for the wild raspberries to ripen now. Still have a couple weeks to wait.

Everything in the garden is growing pretty well. I have tentative high hopes. I'm begging it to hold on. We don't have a watering hose put in yet and it's too hot to carry water from the house. (I'm so lazy!) We're getting a sprinkling tomorrow and 25-35mm on Friday.

ETA: I set the alarm for 5am with the hopes of getting out in the garden to do some work (weeding!) before it got to hot. I was sweating buckets by 7:30am.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#14 of 43 Old 07-11-2010, 04:59 PM

first harvest from my garden yesterday!!!...I picked cucumber, spinach, garlic, onions, potatoes, thyme, which we had for dinner last night with the fresh coho and crab dh brought home from the ocean...oh and the girls picked a bowl of raspberries for dessert.

Love this time of year!

Unfortunately, my leeks didn't grow this year and first crop of celery was eaten by mice but the second crop is doing very well.
#15 of 43 Old 07-11-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove View Post
first harvest from my garden yesterday!!!...I picked cucumber, spinach, garlic, onions, potatoes, thyme, which we had for dinner last night with the fresh coho and crab dh brought home from the ocean...oh and the girls picked a bowl of raspberries for dessert.

Love this time of year!

Unfortunately, my leeks didn't grow this year and first crop of celery was eaten by mice but the second crop is doing very well.
Yay! That is so awesome. That reminds me, I need to go check my MIL's tomato plants.

It's a busy harvesting month this month for most. I for one am trying to find out what I can and can't eat now. I just found out I have diabetes, so I'm hoping if I can can some stuff with honey or any other substitute sweetener's maybe I can have a little a few times a week.

#16 of 43 Old 07-11-2010, 08:04 PM

We've had a lot of rain recently, the garden is really starting to get going now. Nothing ready to pick yet, but on its way!
#17 of 43 Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 AM

We have a small garden. We have a sugar baby watermelon (container with a trellis) that has little watermelons all over the vines...so cute!!! DH is so impatient, though. He thought for sure the first watermelon was ready last week and finally talked me into harvesting it tonight. (I was away on a scrapbook getaway weekend.) It looked like a honeydew melon inside. It tasted vaguely like watermelon, but was clearly not ripe. We each ate a very small piece just for fun. Then, it became part of the compost program....

The beets have been in the ground and in a container for longer than the watermelon plants. When do we harvest them? What are the signs or criteria?

Everything we planted is showing signs of producing, except the pole beans. They are as tall as our fence and a few have gone over the fence already (5-6 feet?). No signs of anything except leaves. I believe it has been 8 weeks since we planted the six-pack of starter plants. When should we expect beans to begin growing?

Thanks!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#18 of 43 Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 AM

I'm buried in spinach and got my first zucchini and squash the other day. Right now, everything's getting huge, but not producing much.
#19 of 43 Old 07-17-2010, 06:49 PM

right now we've got peppers, tomatoes, and okra doing well, cantaloupe doing soso, and we just replanted beans and i've got more potatoes to go in sometime too. We're drowning in figs right now too, a really good crop this year. our tree is so big, its impossible to get them all. my hens love them though, and gorge on the ones that fall.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#20 of 43 Old 07-17-2010, 09:59 PM

Got a sage/oregano question. I have a plant of each flowering/setting seed. I need to go find my seed to seed book for seed harvesting, but I just need to know if I can still harvest the leaves below the flowers.

#21 of 43 Old 07-18-2010, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I wish we got a chance to be buried in summer squash like people often complain of, but last week after about a month of harvesting and eating yellow squash and zucchini the vine borers killed every last plant.

My green bean plants, well our friend was supposed to harvest them while we went away but didn't so now they are dry black bean plants.

My tomatoes are doing pretty nicely, eating them fresh for now and sharing with friends and neighbors, there are not quite enough to be worth canning though. The current tomatoes self seeded again so we have lots of little tomatoes developing too, no planting or watering needed.

The carrots are great now! So delicious and the perfect size. I always debate growing them since carrots are cheap, but they're so rewarding and tasty to pull out of the ground, wash, and eat.
#22 of 43 Old 07-18-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

I wouldn't give up on squash just yet. It does pay to pick the bugs and I usually plant a radish at the base of every plant to keep them away. They won't dig in the ground and lay eggs if there is a radish near it seems. You can also pick the bugs off the plant early morning and right before dusk. HTH

#23 of 43 Old 07-18-2010, 03:10 PM

Garden is so so this year. My raspberries did okay...but those are gone now. The tomatoes did okay but have had some blossom end rot (?) on some of the first fruits coming in...disapointing, but thankfully we have the internet so I can figure out what is happening there. I have noticed the few cucumbers have been really bitter .... disapointing. The zuccini has been DELISH ... but I only wish there were MORE of it! I read posts about people's gardens being invaded by zuccini with only a few plants but mine haven't been gangbusters like that. Just waiting now for the rest of my tomatoes to ripen...knowing my luck it will be right around when baby decides to come earthside

Mama to my tribe
#24 of 43 Old 07-18-2010, 03:48 PM

Well our garden is doing pretty well this year so far, but its actually been a bit on the cool side here so the peppers and eggplants are suffering.

We have about 15 tomato plants,all different types, and all are covered in green tomatoes. We did get our first ripe tomato of the season yesterday though! It was small..and delicious. I'm looking forward to putting the tomatoes up since we have long since eaten through all of last year's crop.

We also have a couple of summer squash that are just starting to produce. We have two of the same variety because I couldn't bear to thin one of them! We really only have room for one plant though...we'll see how that goes. Cucumbers are coming in, and my DH made the first batch of pickles last night. We planted Lazy Housewife beans from some of last year's batch, but they may not be true since last year they were planted right next to the Kentucky Wonder. They're about ready to eat so I guess we'll see.

We've also been munching on the basil for awhile now. I wish the basil and tomatoes shared a season a bit better! Or amybe if we had more space we ould plant the basil in a bed of its own, and the tomatoes wouldn't overshadow it so much it stopped growing. Herbs are all up and ready to eat/use (cilantro, parsley, dill, thyme, sage, white sage, comfrey, chamomile, valerian, yarrow, rosemary, mint).

Our apricot trees are about done, but without a fruit picker I had a hard time getting fruit before it hit the ground. As a concequence I have three big bags of puree in the freezer and only two bags of apricot halves.
#25 of 43 Old 07-18-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
Our apricot trees are about done, but without a fruit picker I had a hard time getting fruit before it hit the ground. As a consequence I have three big bags of puree in the freezer and only two bags of apricot halves.
Mmm... apricot fruit leather....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn
My green bean plants, well our friend was supposed to harvest them while we went away but didn't so now they are dry black bean plants.
If they're not 100% dead and just that lovely brittle stage, whoo-hoo, you just saved seed!

My zucchini plants... sigh. They're like 6" across. It's been a helluva season.
Think I need to go check the raspberries. Well, once my pneumonia calms down a little. Yes, yes indeed. When it rains, well, that means ice-age flood in my house. Murphy can go find a big stick and spin.

#26 of 43 Old 07-18-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
My zucchini plants... sigh. They're like 6" across. It's been a helluva season.
Think I need to go check the raspberries. Well, once my pneumonia calms down a little. Yes, yes indeed. When it rains, well, that means ice-age flood in my house. Murphy can go find a big stick and spin.
You make me laugh, even though its not funny. I hope you get better soon. I think stress causes so much. That's what my naturopath said about my diabetes after I told him what I've been through since September of last year. It's been rough and I hope it gets better here this next week.

On the garden front I'm starting to get lots of ripe tomatoes from my MIL's plants, though they are splitting because they are getting watered too much and rained on. Oh well.

#27 of 43 Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Yeah, no kidding. We've both been through it, eh? Well, hopefully if things start calming down for you, it'll follow suit up here.

And with cracked tomatoes? I'm seeing either diced tomatoes or tomato sauce in your canning future, missy. Because I'm pretty sure you can still eat those.

#28 of 43 Old 07-18-2010, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Yeah, no kidding. We've both been through it, eh? Well, hopefully if things start calming down for you, it'll follow suit up here.

And with cracked tomatoes? I'm seeing either diced tomatoes or tomato sauce in your canning future, missy. Because I'm pretty sure you can still eat those.
Yeah, hopefully.

Well, when I mean lots of tomatoes, I mean like 5-10. To me right now, that's a lot. When its my garden a lot means like bushels. We're getting a few in my IL's CSA bundle every week too. Since they are gone Dave and I have to eat them all. I don't know if I can eat another tomato (of course they aren't varieties that are my favorites so its not like an orgasm every time you eat one), but there aren't enough to make anything with.

#29 of 43 Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 AM

My garden's finally producing. Not much, but it's nice to see some results finally. I've still got spinach, but some is starting to go to seed. I got a few peas last night, but most of them weren't ready. I've got green tomatoes and tiny green beans. My squash and zucchini and still doing pretty good. I've got lots of cucumber starts too.

My peppers still aren't doing much. My watermelon, canteloupe and pumpkins are growing like crazy, but no fruit yet. And my second planting of carrots isn't doing anything either.
#30 of 43 Old 07-21-2010, 02:34 AM

Our garden is doing good, beans are coming out of our ears at this point, I'm sick of green beans at the moment. Beware if you walk past my house - you cannot pass unless you take a yellow squash! It's actually not that bad, but you know how it is when you dream and dream that harvest time gets here then all of a sudden you have loads of one veggie and no more creative ideas on eating them, that's where we are at with the beans and squash.

Our tomatoes have set nice fruit, just waiting for some of them to ripen up.

Tomorrow I am going to pick the 1st batch of okra.

Our cukes have bugs real bad but I'm leaving them for now since they are struggling to live - using them as a trap crop. Our neighbor's son started a cuke plant at school and mom/son are growing their first veggie ever so I'm glad to leave my plants for the bugs to chomp so they don't go over there and eat their plant (it's doing really good and we have gotten a few cukes from them too!)

Have some pretty eggplants that I really should think about picking soon, think I'll let them get a little bigger though, maybe this weekend. I'm the only eggplant eater in the house and the way I like them is plain, just steamed in a little water and that's it.

No peppers yet, unless you count the one habernero that hubby picked - but considering the kids and I don't like super hot... no peppers yet!

Basil... I started some lime basil this year from seed, it's doing good, but not real basily, it's limey for sure, but not much for basil taste, will be good in a fish dish. The mammoth basil aren't getting real big, leaves are a good size, but the plants as a whole are almost stunted. The purple basil are finally starting to get big enough that I'm going to start really picking it, think we'll be having purple pesto this year!

apricots...... yum yum yummy!!!! When my hubby and I first got married, I was working at a restaraunt... some guy came to the back door with a truck load of them, I ended up buying a couple of bushels, made apricot butter! the one batch I overcooked and it was so thick, almost like fruit leather in a jar, boy was it good! hot biscuits and a jar of that apricot taffy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page