bugs...so many bugs! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't search back super far for a similar thread so sorry if it's already been discussed, but am I the only one who feels like the bugs are seriously overtaking my garden? Between the grasshoppers, the blister beetles, the hornworms, the cabbage loopers, and all the other unidentified worms and beetles that are feasting on my plants, I'm about ready to throw up my hands in surrender.

This is our first year making a real attempt at growing on our rural midwest property - organically of course. I never had this much of an insect problem in my small suburban garden plot. Are others noticing more bugs or am I just not very good at this? Or is it maybe a city vs. country kind of thing?

Or maybe they are having a party on my land because the GMO soy field next door has turned them away.

alivia, mama to sunshine dd (2003), snuggly dd (2009), & bonus baby (due 06/2010), homesteader, homeschooler, writer, lifelong learner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Was there a garden in that spot before? You may just need to condition the soil, put lots of compost on it and put a winter cover crop on it. Rotate your crops and start again next year. Maybe try to do companion planting.

http://www.tinkersgardens.com/?doc=V...anion_Planting

HTH

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

User Tag List