Lets play name that veggie!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2010, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This was supposed to be a howden pumpkin, but to me it looks like a hubbard squash.

This was supposed to be a mama mia squash....but I am not sure!!

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
This was supposed to be a howden pumpkin, but to me it looks like a hubbard squash.

This was supposed to be a mama mia squash....but I am not sure!!

Thanks!!
1st one sure does look like a hubbard. Hmmm... Interesting.

Not sure about the second, I couldn't find a picture of that variety, is it a spaghetti squash?

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 PM

those are some nice looking squashes! Mine are still the size of tennis balls...were they cross pollinating? I have certainly seen some mixed varieties, last year I had a pumpkin that was very worty and had green lines from top to bottom.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:25 AM

Your Howden pumpkin looks like an immature Lakota squash. If it ripens to a rich red-orange, that's what you have. I like my Lakotas a lot - they are a nice, dense squash and keep very well (I just store in my stairwell and often am still eating them in May!). Here's a photo of a mature one:
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...tem_no=PS21457

It could also be a Red Kuri, but it really looks like a Lakota to me. Not all Lakotas end up with the green striping shown in the link above ....

Not all who wander are lost.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove View Post
those are some nice looking squashes! Mine are still the size of tennis balls...were they cross pollinating? I have certainly seen some mixed varieties, last year I had a pumpkin that was very worty and had green lines from top to bottom.
I was trying my hardest to hand polinate them....and I haven't noticed that many bees in our garden, so not sure what's going on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
1st one sure does look like a hubbard. Hmmm... Interesting.

Not sure about the second, I couldn't find a picture of that variety, is it a spaghetti squash?
Defenitely not a spaghetti squash. I picked it...going to cook it tonight and see what it tastes like. hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
Your Howden pumpkin looks like an immature Lakota squash. If it ripens to a rich red-orange, that's what you have. I like my Lakotas a lot - they are a nice, dense squash and keep very well (I just store in my stairwell and often am still eating them in May!). Here's a photo of a mature one:
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...tem_no=PS21457

It could also be a Red Kuri, but it really looks like a Lakota to me. Not all Lakotas end up with the green striping shown in the link above ....
I already picked the 1st one. Goign to cook it and see what it tastes like. Have about 4 more of them that all look the same, so I doubt it's cross polinated with anything. Lakota squash looks interesting though and I can see the resemblance.

User Tag List