Starting vegetables this late? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-12-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Are there any plants that can be started this late in zone 5b? I have flower beds, and tomatoes, but am itching to do something other than weed! Can I start beans or peas, or anything right now? I do have lettuce in a shady bed, but that's not terribly exciting either.

Thanks!

DD 2/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-12-2010, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in zone 8 in the pacific NW so not quite like your zone. Now is the time we're getting our fall/winter garden planted. Things like lettuce (which can be planted all season really), spinach and peas for fall. Carrots for late fall too. And any brassica like brocolli, cabbage and kale. Most of these plants get most of their growth in late summer and early fall, then you pick them in late fall before it freezes.

Kale is especially cold hardy and does not need cover in our area through winter. In sept or oct I'll plant my garlic too.

There are "overwinter" varieties of carrots, cabbage and onions which get planted soon and grow slowly all winter. They grow more in the spring for a mid spring harvest. These are usally good in colder climates. Some things need to be covered to keep them warm or dry.

You should look up your planting dates for your zone, which will tell you exactly when things can be grown.

Good luck!!

Rhianna
#3 of 5 Old 08-12-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post
You should look up your planting dates for your zone, which will tell you exactly when things can be grown.

Good luck!!

Rhianna
Do you know of any specific websites?

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#4 of 5 Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 PM

I found a planting scedule for zone 5/6. Yeah! It include spring and fall dates, plus planting info.

http://www.thevegetablegarden.info/r...nting-schedule

Here's another: http://www.veggieharvest.com/Vegetab...lendar/zone-5/

Always good compare :-)

You can see that almost the same plants that like early spring like fall planting too. The hot weather ones just like the summer.

Rhianna
#5 of 5 Old 08-12-2010, 09:00 PM

Yes ma'am!! I am in 5b myself so I can tell you that in mid-August, you can start peas, root veggies, garlic, onions, broccoli, spinach, beets, cabbage, ... basically anything that you can plant for your spring harvest, you can plant for a fall harvest. I'm starting some seedlings this week, myself for my fall garden It's a good thing because I'm getting incredibly bored with zucchini, tomatoes, peppers and lettuce! I need some variety!

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page