pumpkins and watermelons in a square foot garden? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-14-2010, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember reading that pumpkins and watermelons can be planted in a square foot garden...but I'm having a hard time believing it. I only have the really old version of the SFG book and it's recommendations are 1 melon plant per square and 2 pumpkin plants per 1ftx4ft section. My bed is 4ftx4ft and if I go by these recommendations I will have 4 pumpkins and 8 watermelons in one bed! I just can't be right. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Should I even try or should I just do a couple melon plants in the bed and put the pumpkins somewhere else?
#2 of 6 Old 08-14-2010, 10:28 AM

I also have a hard time believing it. I am not doing SFG, but I have a small plot this year and planted one zucchini plant and it has completely taken over my celery and carrots. They are pretty much dead because of being covered by the zukes. I also have one Sungold tomato plant that takes up way more than 1 square foot. I just don't understand how it works. Maybe you have to grow mini versions of everything?

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#3 of 6 Old 08-14-2010, 10:55 AM

I did pumpkins successfully in a square foot garden. The jack o lanterns were planted in a 3x12 bed amongst densely planted corn and bush beans.

The pie pumpkins and minis were planted 1/sq ft and grew directly up a trellis I made for them.

They did really well, despite the fact that I never watered/fertilized them.

Haven't been successful with melons but it's a climate thing.
#4 of 6 Old 08-14-2010, 05:28 PM

It's been a while since I read the SFG book, but I remember him saying 3'x3' space for EACH squash.

Oh wait.... if you're growing them vertically, you don't need as much room. That's the difference. My pumpkins I do actually have that close (2 plants in a 1'x3' space), and I have them growing straight up a 6' trellis. My squash is not next to a trellis, and it's not doing well in the 2'x2' squares that I gave them- definitely not enough room.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#5 of 6 Old 08-14-2010, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't have a garden yet, but I do have the new SFG book from the library....

He says to put 1 watermelon or 1 pumpkin per 2 square feet (cantaloupe and smaller melons only need 1), and train them up a trellis. He swears that if you start with a trellis in place and help train the vine as it grows, it will grow itself strong enough to support however many melons/pumpkins would normally grown on the plant.

Having never done this or seen it, I don't know how true that is, but he says 1 plant per square foot... I'm going to give it a try when I get my bed built!

He also says 1 plant per 2 square feet for winter and summer squash.
#6 of 6 Old 08-15-2010, 02:56 AM

I gave them their own bed, next to a fence, with a trellis. I just wasn't inyerested in fighting them away from the other plants. We didn't build them a fancy bed - we just used extra rocks and soil from other projects, and made sure they couldn't climb into the other beds. i guess it's possible.... but having fought melons before, I just didn't want to work that hard.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page