HELP! Name these peppers! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-14-2010, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies!! I know absolutely NOTHING about gardening! DH knows all about it, but unfortunately, not me! Before he shipped off, he planted these peppers. I have been trying to give them the best care and make sure I water them everyday, but I have no clue when to pick them or what to do with them.

I wont eat them (he is the only one who will!) I would LOVE some help with these.

What type of peppers are these? When should I pick them? And do any of you have any ideas as to how to can/preserve/make them into something that I can ship to him and his army buddies? I bet DH would love to have some comfort from home, and to know I didn't kill all the stuff in our flower beds/garden this year

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...arden%20Stuff/

Thanks in advance Mama's!

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#2 of 5 Old 08-14-2010, 09:23 PM

They all look like hot peppers...not sure about the first ones, growing upright, but they could be sweet...a good way to tell is to rub them and smell your fingers. The second long red crinkly one is a cayene for sure. The last look like a habanero, but again, there are sweets that look like that, so it would be best to do a sniff test first.

A simple way to preserve them is to slice rounds & pickle them. Very little cooking involved - just make a pickle brine, fill your hot sterilized jars with the rings, and pour the brine in over it, the seal & process.

Here's a good basic recipe:
http://www.food.com/recipe/4-square-...peppers-425048

I only soak peppers if you're doing them whole...you don't have to if you're just slicing them. I like the look of mixing colors. Do take the advice of really shoving them in there tight. And wear gloves, of course!

If you don't have the equipment, they make this great new starter kit:
http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/...TCL+1440010790

All my local grocery stores have it. I shipped some pickles overseas when my BIL was deployed, they got there in very good shape. Just wrap in paper, then in bubble wrap, and then put it in a ziploc in case it does happen to break, it won't damage anything else.

I can see the hot pepper eating contest now! :
#3 of 5 Old 08-15-2010, 05:47 AM

The ones growing up into the air look like Thai chilies. This very hot pepper is great ion stir fry, soup, or dried and used later. The crinkly one looks Like chayanne to me, and is usually dried then ground. The round ones look like mini bells, but could be spicy. Try one and see! Either way, they are great pickled. Just pierce with a knife, cover with brine, and process. Throw a couple of the Thai ones in for variety if your DH likes things hot. Most peppers are red when ripe, but can be picked early if you want them a little more sour.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#4 of 5 Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help!! I purchased that kit!

Quick question... are those peppers ready to be picked? And is it ok to mix and match for the recipes? Or do I need to keep each different pepper separate from the other?

I am so nervous about this! ha.

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#5 of 5 Old 08-15-2010, 11:52 PM

The last pic some are ready, they'll turn red or orange. I usually mix & match for peppers, it gives the nicest presentation. If those are thais, you can use them green or red.

Don't be nervous! Pickles are the hardest to mess up. As long as you get the brine right. Make yourself some nice jelly to, for the kids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page