Anyone want to play name that beetle? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-15-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have another beetle infestation - ugh. These guys seem to be white when they are younger and then develop into black backs. I'll try to post some photos soon. I'm not sure of the damage they are doing. They are currently hanging out on some pretty sad looking dried up and holey melon leaves but I've been out of town so it's possible the leaves already looked like that. Or it's also possible they are killing my melons.

I also saw 1 blister beetle today. Should I be preparing for another round of the blister beetle attack? Or could the one be a lone beetle not to be feared?

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-15-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the link for my pics

#3 of 10 Old 08-15-2010, 08:56 PM

looks like a stink bug to me.

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#4 of 10 Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinches View Post
looks like a stink bug to me.
Thanks. Off to research stink bugs. From what I've read so far there is not much agreement on whether they are a problem for gardens.

#5 of 10 Old 08-16-2010, 04:29 PM

I think they are relatives of squash bugs. In my experience they'll damage/kill plants in the gourd family. I've had them damage or destroy melons, squash, luffa, and cukes in the last few years. Sometimes the plants will hang on with a few dried leaves and other times the whole plant dies. I've never seen any of my gourd family plants look completely healthy when these guys have been around.

Here's a picture of squash bugs: http://extension.usu.edu/juab/images...uash%20bug.jpg

Steph, Mama to Alex (04/08) We :::
#6 of 10 Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Yup, that's what I've got. My squash are about dead. I tried an organic spray that claimed effectiveness on lots of different bugs but no mention of squash or stink bugs specifically. They were briefly annoyed and quickly resumed wreaking havoc. Home Depot has something that says it will take care of them but it isn't organic. The local nursery guy says there's not much that will take care of them and that my best bet was hand picking which is a daunting task since there seem to be hundreds and many too small to pick easily. He recommends planting radishes around them next year but obviously that won't help my squash right now. I found something online that recommends Kaolin clay but nobody I ask seems to have heard of it.

Any suggestions?

#7 of 10 Old 08-19-2010, 05:52 PM

here's where you can find kaolin clay:
http://www.planetnatural.com/site/surround-wp.html
#8 of 10 Old 08-19-2010, 07:38 PM

IME, the only thing you can do is hand pick them and watch for eggs. The eggs are bronze-color dots on the bottom of the leaves. They're usually in groups together. I contemplated paying a neighbor kid a nickel a bug.

Sevin will kill squash bugs from what I gather, but I'm not comfortable using it in my garden since it isn't an organic chemical. Honestly, they were so bad here that I stopped putting any gourds in for a couple of years. I haven't done any in the same plot since and had a few in a different plot this year but not enough to completely obliterate my cukes, squash, and luffa.

Steph, Mama to Alex (04/08) We :::
#9 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac'sMa View Post
here's where you can find kaolin clay:
http://www.planetnatural.com/site/surround-wp.html
Thanks for the link, Issac'sMa. I'm afraid it is too late to order something at this point and I don't have the $ for it this week anyway. But I might get some to be proactive next year. Has anyone used kaolin clay and was it effective?

I'm so sad about my sqaush and cukes.

They haven't shown much interest in my melons, which are right next to the squash that's been obliterated. Should I be concerned that they will jump over to the melons next? If so maybe I'll try to get that kaolin clay sooner.

#10 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephienoodle View Post
IME, the only thing you can do is hand pick them and watch for eggs. The eggs are bronze-color dots on the bottom of the leaves. They're usually in groups together. I contemplated paying a neighbor kid a nickel a bug.

Sevin will kill squash bugs from what I gather, but I'm not comfortable using it in my garden since it isn't an organic chemical. Honestly, they were so bad here that I stopped putting any gourds in for a couple of years. I haven't done any in the same plot since and had a few in a different plot this year but not enough to completely obliterate my cukes, squash, and luffa.
Yes, we have lots of eggs. The stuff I bought to spray says it will take care of the eggs so hopefully that is true.

I sent my 2 boys and their friend out last night to squash squash bugs. They had a grand time but I don't think many bugs were squashed in the process. Maybe I'll try the nickel a bug thing and see if they go for it.

What's the best way to dispose of them after they are picked?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page