Need to temporarily move plants for new garage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are having a garage built and I have foundation plantings around it (hostas, lily of the valley, astilbe and various ferns, echinacea, a euonymous shrub that I hope to save (it's at least 15 yrs old) and a wisteria that is 5-7 years old).

We likely won't be able to start the new garage until mid- Oct, which I think is too late in Colorado for me to dig up all the plants, move to a temporary location for about 3 weeks and then successfully transplant them before winter sets in.

So, instead, I think I have no choice but to dig them up in early Sept (if not sooner) and put them in a temporary location in the yard for the winter to give them a chance to get over the shock and develop some roots before winter. Then, in the spring, I'll move them to their new permanent location around the new garage.

Any tips/recommendations on how to do this and hopefully have them survive or any other advice? I am most worried about the wisteria, and know I have a 50/50 chance of success with it. I might just plant it in my veggie garden for lack of anywhere else to plant it (most of my veggie seeds did not sprout this year).

The place where I want to move the shade plants unfortunately has really bad compacted soil (maybe some clay), so I'm going to have to amend the area I plan to put them in with maybe steer manure and some topsoil mixed in. I've tried for 12 years to improve that particular soil with no luck.

User Tag List