Can I use leftover veggie seed packets for next year? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-18-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am I better off just buying new ones or is there a good way to store them to plant them in the spring?

For instance, I ended up only wanting a couple of zucchini plants, so still have basically the whole packet of remaining seeds left.
#2 of 5 Old 08-19-2010, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Of course you can keep them. You may have a lower germination rate, but that's no reason to throw out the whole packet.

Find some silica packs (the ones that say DO NOT EAT and come with shoes) and put them in the box you store your seeds in. I get leftover seeds from a family friend who works for a seed company and I store them in a shoebox with a couple of silica packs. My tomatoes were marked 2006 and came up fine this year.

DD 2/08
#3 of 5 Old 08-23-2010, 06:00 AM

Of course you keep them. I have zucchini seeds that are from 2004. And still germinating. Some things like onions and carrot seeds lose their potency over the years, but then you just compensate by throwing down even more seed and use up the packet eventually. Although I have to say, my home-saved carrot seed seems to have a longer lifespan than the commercial stuff...

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#4 of 5 Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 AM

Yep... putting them in the fridge works too. I have a whole section on the door of my fridge that is designated for seeds only. I have had some that are 3+ years old and haven't noticed a lower germination rate.

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#5 of 5 Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 AM

It depends on the seed. I've learned from experience that parsnips are no good after the first year.

Here are a couple seed viability tables
http://dirthappy.blogspot.com/2010/0...ity-table.html
http://www.hillgardens.com/seed_longevity.htm

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page