Caterpillars vs Kale - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-19-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first year growing kale. The caterpillars are loving it and have made holes in practically every leaf. What would you do?

It feels late in the season to put much effort in trying to get rid of them, but I would like to preserve the kale. Is it fine to eat it if I scrub the leaves before cooking? (even though they have holes in them?) Or should we only be eating leaves they haven't munched on?

Any recommendations for preventing this in the future. (we have raised beds)

Thanks Mamas!

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#2 of 3 Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 PM

No reason not to eat the leaves with holes -- they can't hurt you and it doesn't affect the taste. As far as control/prevention, I just hand-pick caterpillars and moth larvae and throw them over the wall. As they grow, they will become amazingly voracious and can decimate your kale.
#3 of 3 Old 08-24-2010, 04:52 PM

Eh, go ahead and eat em. Actually, your kale will get very happy with cool weather approaching. Here in Carolina we grow it Sept- April.

You can either hand pick the worms or use a biorational called bT. Try to keep it away from flower gardens though as it kills all butterfly/moth family larvae, and you only want to target the cabbage worms.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page