Fruit Press and Grain Mill Recommendations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know you ladies can help me out here. My friend works for a great school who raise an organic garden that helps provide the school with food and they just received grant money and want to buy a good fruit press and a grain mill. Let me know what you gals recommend.

Thanks.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#2 of 7 Old 08-24-2010, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in love with my kitchen aid grain mill. I don't know how much the school will use it. If they plan on a lot, check out restaurant supply stores like wasserstroms or restaurant equippers (sorry if those are regional)

If they are going for a learning experience, they may want to look into the old style stones, where you lay the grain out and roll the giant rock around on it. I know they can still be found. Let me look. BRB.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#3 of 7 Old 08-25-2010, 06:43 AM

Electric? Everybody I know swears by the Nutrimill Grain Mill or whatever it's called.
Hand crank? I can't remember the name, but I think it has a black handle and white hopper dealie. Pretty neat, and quite the arm workout.

Fruit press... are you thinking like the Squeezo or a cider press or something different altogether?

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#4 of 7 Old 08-25-2010, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

I think electric is fine for the grain mill. Thanks Lanna.

I think she is thinking a cider press. They grow lots of fruit.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#5 of 7 Old 08-29-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
I'm in love with my kitchen aid grain mill. I don't know how much the school will use it. If they plan on a lot, check out restaurant supply stores like wasserstroms or restaurant equippers (sorry if those are regional)
I'm so happy to see someone say that they like their kitchenaid mill. I was researching them today and kept trying to decide between a Nutrimill and the kitchenaid. Actually, it was more like settle for a kitchenaid or wait until $200 magically shows up in the budget to get a Nutrimill.

I'm really leaning toward the kitchenaid at this point. Do you mill it coarse and then re-mill it finer? I read some bad things about melting the gear box and that scared me a little bit, but as long as I'm aware of the issue and don't abuse the machine to much, it should work, right!?

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#6 of 7 Old 08-29-2010, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
Do you mill it coarse and then re-mill it finer? I read some bad things about melting the gear box and that scared me a little bit, but as long as I'm aware of the issue and don't abuse the machine to much, it should work, right!?
I do, after it's all said and done, I will run it through three or four times. It strains a little if you dump a ton in all at once. I have found it works best if you run a little at a time. I usually only grind what I am about to use so I don't really grind pounds at a time!

We're talking about the attachment right? I have heard people say it broke their kitchen aid, but I have an older food service one that is actually Hobart It's tank like.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#7 of 7 Old 08-30-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
We're talking about the attachment right? I have heard people say it broke their kitchen aid, but I have an older food service one that is actually Hobart It's tank like.
Yes, that's the attachment I am looking to buy. I have the KA professional and we took it apart yesterday to look at the gears and they're all steel. After seeing that, I decided to go ahead and get it. I can't wait to try it out.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page