In an unusual climate, how important is the seed variety? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Central Florida, and am looking to start a small vegetable garden this fall.

I have a book which lists good varieties for Florida gardens, but am having a hard time locating a source for those specific varieties.

I'm curious how important it is to get varieties that are particularly good for Florida in a small, household garden. Or can I just buy whatever I can find at Lowes or looks good in a seed catalog and it'll do well enough?

Thanks!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#2 of 11 Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 AM

Maybe we can help find the varieties your looking for. Can you list the ones you'd like to put in your garden?

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#3 of 11 Old 08-25-2010, 11:57 AM

local nurseries tend to stock things that will grow well in your area, although they also sell some things that can only be grown under cover or inside. But if you are talking basic food plants you should be fine, when buying plants.
#4 of 11 Old 08-25-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'm just looking to start simple, with things DD likes to eat -- carrots, broccoli, peas, that sort of thing. Where's a good place to shop online for seeds? A place like Burpee?

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#5 of 11 Old 08-25-2010, 05:14 PM

What are the specific varieties for each plant they list for FL? At the top of this forum under resources are some good seed companies. You might find one that is actually in Florida or the south.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#6 of 11 Old 08-25-2010, 05:18 PM

Here we go. I found a Florida planting guide and it has lists of varieties and when the best time to plant in FL.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vh021

Scroll close to the bottom to find both tables on planting and the best varieties for FL.

#7 of 11 Old 08-25-2010, 05:20 PM

Let us know if you need help finding specific varieties on this list.

#8 of 11 Old 08-25-2010, 06:25 PM

I really don't worry too much about getting a specific variety, it is nice if you can find it, but you will drive yourself crazy looking sometimes.
#9 of 11 Old 08-25-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for finding that list, FarmerCathy! That's pretty much the one in my book, I just wasn't looking forward to typing it out.

So I've looked for a number of those in Burpee, to no avail. I'll check out some of the seed companies in the sticky, thanks!

#10 of 11 Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Found a company with the seed varieties I was looking for and that even marked seeds as endorsed by the Florida extension for use in home gardens!

Sustainable Seed Company

Thanks for all your help! Now.... to hope I can grow them!

#11 of 11 Old 08-26-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
Found a company with the seed varieties I was looking for and that even marked seeds as endorsed by the Florida extension for use in home gardens!

Sustainable Seed Company

Thanks for all your help! Now.... to hope I can grow them!
Yay! I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page