Inner City Community Garden - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2002, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, My maiden name is Gardner and I have no idea what I am doing.

Is this the 12-step program for really uneducated gardeners? Can I join? I have seeds in pretty little packets and a 10x10 garden plot and no idea what to do next!

I live in the city and have been endowed with a beautiful (beautiful is subjective--it is actually pretty ugly right now. I see the beauty in its potential...) garden plot in a community garden. I'm sure the soil is crap. I have to figure out how to keep the neighborhood kids from 1) running through my plot and 2) stealing all my stuff.

I have been reading the recent threads about soil, compost and such and still feel like I'm a doof. So I get some Brown Kow in a yellow bag and spread it around, then plant my seeds? Then someone said I should put newspaper or straw down? Can anyone give me a step-by-step way of getting my soil ready for planting?

As far as planting is concerned, I am going with flowers. Can't remember their names, but they are all very pretty. I read about the ones that need full and partial shade and I drew out where they should go based on how much sun they will get (I'm very proud of my drawing). I got a little trowel, a shovel and one of those knee-pad thingys. Oh, I also got some garden gloves and a handy tote. (Are you laughing? That isn't fair.)

Help this nincompoop. I want to be in the cool kids garden club.

Can I rig up a laser-beam security system for my garden? Or does that infringe on the kiddos human rights? I can just see myself becoming this garden-nazi: sitting in my plot at night armed with a shovel and some ready-to-fling compost...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2002, 06:40 PM

Ok for the kids.

Plant some habanero peppers. They are orange and beautiful, once the kids steal one of those they will NEVER EVER come to your garden again.

Next.

Weed your plot, be sure to get the weeds by the roots. Once it is weeded, dump your bags of black kow on it.

Now take your shovel and turn it in the dirt. Then rake over it so that you have a smooth patch. IF you are starting these out as seeds you will want to wait till the seeds have germinated. What kind of flowers?

It is important to know because some might be easier to start in a tray in your kitchen rather than directly in the dirt.

If you are gonna grow flowers then it is ok to use newsprint. HOWEVER, the ink in papers is toxic so I dont use newspapers in my vegetable gardens.

Start small and dont get overwhelmed.

Planting sun flowers along the edges will create a living fence to keep out kids. It will also add shade around the border, that could be good or bad.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:06 PM

I really like a book called Vegetable Gardening West of the Cascades by, I think, David Soloman. It gives a good fertilizer for the soils out here, and tells why methods that work back east aren't quite right for our weather. It also talks about when to plant stuff, and what varieties work best, and good stuff about how to get peppers and things to grow up here.

....you could grow nettles in strategic spots...as long as you know it's there, it's great in the compost and as a nutritive tea, and it will sting marauding children.....
Old 05-15-2002, 07:08 PM

Duh, I just realized you said flowers. Oh well, it's still a good book and still a good fertilizer recipe. Maybe the library has it, mine did.....

User Tag List