Growing Flowers for home decoration - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-02-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone grow flowers simply to cut and have fresh flowers around the house? If you do, what kinds do you grow?
#2 of 4 Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 AM

I have grown flowers for selling at Farmers' Market, last year I didn't go to market as much as I planned and just used them for the house. I grow celosia (cockscomb), cosmos, rudbeckia, globe amaranth, elephant head, zinnia's, bachelor's button, queen anne's lace, bell's of ireland, calendula, snapdragon, statice, sweet william, yarrow, sunflowers (cutting kind), butterfly weed, love in a mist. I've grown lots of different flowers, I'm sure I didn't get them all.

The ones I just seed directly into the garden are bell's of Ireland (they like to be planted in May), elephant head, zinnia, cosmos, bachelor's button, sunflowers, and love in a mist. The rest I put in winter sowing containers and I'm going to try to start them on Dec. 21st this time. Flowers seem to take longer to grow, at least for me. Go to http://wintersown.org/ for more info (Trudi is also on FB if you want to "Like" the group). It's super easy to grow things this way. I even got mint to germinate this way. They like the cold stratification I guess.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#3 of 4 Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 AM

My favorites for this are easy direct seeders zinnia, sunflowers, dames rocket, celosia, bachelors buttons, dianthus, marigolds. Even when there are only a few flowers in the yard we will take a walk along the greenway and there is always pretty wild stuff- leaves, berries, seed heads, etc to make an arrangement out of. Much more subtle but sometimes prettier.

Ah, and lots of bulbs, especially daffodils. I really need that in March when it seems like winter will never end!
#4 of 4 Old 09-08-2010, 09:03 AM

I like lilies. They look gorgeous in a vase. Plant the bulbs once, and more & more lilies come back each year! Great color range too.

My neighbor tells me that in a few years, I will have to dig up the bulbs and separate the clumps of them, or they will crowd each other and not grow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page