chamomile - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-09-2002, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My chamomile is doing really well and now I've got questions! When and how should I harvest the flowers? What is the best method for drying them? Can tea be made before the flowers are dried?
#2 of 3 Old 05-09-2002, 07:19 PM

Harvest them in late morning, when all the dew is dried up but they aren't tired from the heat of the sun. Hang them in a well-ventilated place out of the sunlight. As soon as they're dried store them in an air-tight container out of the light. My herbs tend to dry quickly since it's so dry in Montana. Over-drying can cause some of the medicinal constituents in the plants break down, so I don't let them hang for too long. Just to be sure they aren't still a little wet, which can cause mold, I usually open my jars after a couple days and leave the lid off for an afternoon or so. That way, any moisture that has sweat from the plants can dry up.
#3 of 3 Old 05-11-2002, 05:51 PM

tea can be made of fresh flowers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page