Manure / Compost Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-18-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My niece has just got a pony and my sister has offered me manure for the garden, I have a couple of questions:

1. Dose the manure need to age awhile before I can use it or can I use it straight away?
2. Can it go straight onto our veggie garden and what amount should I use?
3. Can I / should I add it to my compost to help break it down?

I've used dynamic lifter (chicken poo pellets) on the garden but not fresh manure before.

Thanks

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate
#2 of 6 Old 09-21-2010, 12:03 PM

It's best if you compost it. Is it straight manure? Or mixed with shavings/straw?

If it has shavings or straw, you can just pile it up and compost as is, if it is only manure, you will want to add a source of carbon, like dried leaves, to help it compost (although it will compost eventually either way)

You can add it to your compost, that would be my preferred method, just because you get the fastest composting when you have the most volume, it heats up better.
#3 of 6 Old 09-23-2010, 12:22 PM

i heard that it's suppose to age and that you cannot put fresh manure on your garden. if i were you, i'd pile it all up in your compost pile, and let it mature overwinter, and maybe it'll be done in the spring. or could you spread it on your garden for overwintering and then by spring it'll be good?

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#4 of 6 Old 09-23-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jee'smom View Post
i heard that it's suppose to age and that you cannot put fresh manure on your garden. if i were you, i'd pile it all up in your compost pile, and let it mature overwinter, and maybe it'll be done in the spring. or could you spread it on your garden for overwintering and then by spring it'll be good?
That's what we do. It works much better than if you just dump it fresh on your garden.
#5 of 6 Old 09-27-2010, 02:17 PM

We use horse manure in all kinds of ways! Sometimes I just dig a hole in the garden and shovel a couple of scoop in, then cover with dirt/compost. Sometimes I throw it in our compost bin which works well. I have put a layer down in the bottom of a raised bed and watered/turned it for a couple of weeks then put my soil and compost on top of that and planted.

I have found that with horse manure you won't see results immediately BUT by the next season your plants will be flourishing like crazy!
#6 of 6 Old 09-27-2010, 03:37 PM

cool, thanks!!!

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page