Re-usable Canning Lids - What do You All Think - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas,

I found a blog that talked about these lids being re-usable.

http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/

They don't have BPA's, but they are plastic and you know how plastic is when heated. Has anyone found other metal lids without the BPA's?

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#2 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 09:27 PM

I've been looking! I was going to get the Tattlers- to try them out. The only other thing I was thinking about is

http://www.weckcanning.com/

I don't think there is a perfect solution.

BTW. I have enjoyed reading your posts for a long time!

Jennifer- wife and mom, dreaming of country living
#3 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 09:27 PM

OOoooh, Interesting! I like that they are both re-usable AND bpa free. I just started canning this year and was really dismayed to learn about the BPA in lid jars. I read on farmama a while back about another kind of canning jars that are BPA free but expensive

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#4 of 23 Old 09-24-2010, 02:05 AM

Here's what I'm wondering...How do you know if the lids have actually sealed after processing? Do they pop up/down like on regular metal lids? I actually considered investing on some glass lids with rubber gaskets but apparently thats a concern worth thinking about.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#5 of 23 Old 09-24-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidandspencersmom View Post
I've been looking! I was going to get the Tattlers- to try them out. The only other thing I was thinking about is

http://www.weckcanning.com/

I don't think there is a perfect solution.

BTW. I have enjoyed reading your posts for a long time!
Thanks! Weck's is cool. Expensive, but cool. It would be great if they made lids for jars I already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
Here's what I'm wondering...How do you know if the lids have actually sealed after processing? Do they pop up/down like on regular metal lids? I actually considered investing on some glass lids with rubber gaskets but apparently thats a concern worth thinking about.
I was just wondering the same thing about the glass ones, how do you tell? The plastics ones don't pop like the regular canning lids, but from the blog I was reading they do suck in, she had one that didn't seal properly that didn't suck down.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#6 of 23 Old 09-28-2010, 02:24 PM

With the glass lids you will know they are sealed because the lid will be tightly sealed if it is easy to lift or just laying on top then it is not sealed correctly. They explain it on their website.

Ima Sophie + Abba J + D + J =stillheart.gif

#7 of 23 Old 09-28-2010, 04:30 PM

I bought the Tattlers a couple months ago and tried them out. They do suck in and it's pretty easy to tell that they are really sealed. Here is my experience (I had it up on idig, so I just copied it and pasted it in here):

I went over to Lehman's and got myself a dozen of the Tattler wide mouth lids. Today was my first time trying them and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed. I followed their instructions about loosening the bands before putting into the pressure canner and then tightened the bands when they came out. I just removed the bands and took a picture. They all sealed and the lids were very easy to use.

There is a nice little ridge on the underside of the lid. I just put the rubber gasket onto the lid and then placed the lid on the jar. Honestly, it was just as easy as using the normal lids. I'm definitely a fan and will be going back to pick up some more.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#8 of 23 Old 09-28-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaSophie View Post
With the glass lids you will know they are sealed because the lid will be tightly sealed if it is easy to lift or just laying on top then it is not sealed correctly. They explain it on their website.
Oh nice. That's easy enough.

Atobols - I'm glad they were a success, I'm still debating though because of the plastic. I wonder what is the lesser of the two evils, the plastic or the PBA's on the regular canning lids. Hmmm....

#9 of 23 Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
Here's what I'm wondering...How do you know if the lids have actually sealed after processing? Do they pop up/down like on regular metal lids?
Yes, they totally suck in when they're done. You just don't get to hear that satisfying "pop!" You cannot open the jars with a sharp can opener though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
Thanks! Weck's is cool. Expensive, but cool. It would be great if they made lids for jars I already have.

I was just wondering the same thing about the glass ones, how do you tell? The plastics ones don't pop like the regular canning lids, but from the blog I was reading they do suck in, she had one that didn't seal properly that didn't suck down.
Yes, Weck is cool. But, since it is a rubber ring and a glass top, you don't have the visual of the vacuum in place, you know? So crazy me would likely worry about that. Sigh.

Yes, the lids suck in. I'll take photos later.

I'd just come on here to yap about the Tattlers. I remember there being a bunch of conversation about them on IDig 2-3 years ago, and they've been popping up on the blogosphere lately and... yeah, long story short, I have a handful I'm trying out before sending hubby to buy more.

I canned tuna, peaches, and today, tomato soup with Tattlers. I had two peaches not seal, but that was probably more user error.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#10 of 23 Old 10-06-2010, 03:13 PM

I'm pretty sure the nub that sticks out of the rubber rings for glass jars either points up or down (can't remember) when sealed. I don't have any myself (yet) but I remember canning with a friend a few years ago and she had all Weck jars and it was totally obvious that they had sealed (only one of perhaps 25 jars did not and it was easy to tell which that was too) w/o trying to pry the glass tops off.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#11 of 23 Old 10-06-2010, 05:02 PM

I grabbed the Lehman's catalog when I was at my mom's house the other day. I was looking through it and dreaming of the glass canning jars. I might have to add a box of those to my Christmas list.

#12 of 23 Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 PM

I picked up some Tattler's this year and they work really well! Very clear they sealed and very easy to use. I love they are pretty much indefinitely reusable and of course no BPA! Wecks are beautiful and I'd love a couple for special things however switching over to all Wecks would be way way way unaffordable. Plus Tattlers can go in the pressure canner while (I'm pretty certain) Wecks can't.
#13 of 23 Old 10-07-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *farmergirl* View Post
I picked up some Tattler's this year and they work really well! Very clear they sealed and very easy to use. I love they are pretty much indefinitely reusable and of course no BPA! Wecks are beautiful and I'd love a couple for special things however switching over to all Wecks would be way way way unaffordable. Plus Tattlers can go in the pressure canner while (I'm pretty certain) Wecks can't.
Oh, interesting about Weck's and the pressure canner. I will have to look that up in case I get rich or something and can afford Wecks.

#14 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 01:22 PM

I had to search for the pressure canning with Weck thing (since I also pressure can) and found this thread here on MDC: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=15849408

the last post has a link to a blog and it was interesting to read the blogger's experiences with the Weck jars!

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#15 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
I bought the Tattlers a couple months ago and tried them out. They do suck in and it's pretty easy to tell that they are really sealed. Here is my experience (I had it up on idig, so I just copied it and pasted it in here):

I went over to Lehman's and got myself a dozen of the Tattler wide mouth lids. Today was my first time trying them and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed. I followed their instructions about loosening the bands before putting into the pressure canner and then tightened the bands when they came out. I just removed the bands and took a picture. They all sealed and the lids were very easy to use.

There is a nice little ridge on the underside of the lid. I just put the rubber gasket onto the lid and then placed the lid on the jar. Honestly, it was just as easy as using the normal lids. I'm definitely a fan and will be going back to pick up some more.
Good to know, thanks!

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#16 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinz View Post
I had to search for the pressure canning with Weck thing (since I also pressure can) and found this thread here on MDC: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=15849408

the last post has a link to a blog and it was interesting to read the blogger's experiences with the Weck jars!
That was my concern with the Weck's... that particular blogger lives not too far from me, and we've above 2000ft in elevation (I'm around 2300 or 2400?). So if you live closer to the sea or something and don't have to always pressure can at 15lbs all. the. time. the Weck's may be better.

Fwiw, that gal and her family have their homestead for sale. Came across it the other day. Tis a small world.

So far my only complaint about the Tattler lids is that they don't stack as nicely as the Kerr/Ball lids. Yet another reason to keep those boxes until they disintegrate....

#17 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been wanting to try some of the Tattler lids also, they're on my list of things to buy.

I usually open my jars with an opener that has a bit of a sharp edge (because I suck at getting the lids off ), I haven't cared since the lid is tossed. What is the best way to get the Tattler lids off without damaging them?

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#18 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 10:05 PM

I don't reuse Mason jar lids, and am not concerned with the tiny bit that is exposed to food.

My dad used to try and reseal jars in the same lids if they didn't seal the first time. It never worked.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#19 of 23 Old 10-12-2010, 03:17 PM

I was all hip to buy some earlier this spring and then in July I scored some deals (after doubled coupons) that I could get regular ball/kerr lids free and the wide mouth for mere pennies a box.

I still like the idea of of BPA free product and the reusability. I think it might be awhile before I need to think about buying more lids.
#20 of 23 Old 10-25-2010, 03:43 AM

Okay, I took photos and finally got them up. Just scroll down towards the end.

Some of the Tattler lids I've used so far, one of which didn't seal (what's left of the contents is in my fridge that we're drinking), and what I use to open my jars. And All American pressure canner. Once I'm sure they'll *stay* on for the year, I'll feel comfortable using more and more of them, but right now I'm only using a few Tattlers per batch, just in case. I may jump in with both feet, but still like to cover my @$$.

#21 of 23 Old 10-25-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Okay, I took photos and finally got them up. Just scroll down towards the end.
Very helpful and interesting reading, thanks!

#22 of 23 Old 10-31-2010, 05:51 PM

Very interesting thread! The Tattler lids might be just what I'm looking for.

For the people wondering about knowing if glass lids are sealed, it is no more difficult than metal lids. I check mine (metal bail "le parfait") by opening the metal clasp after 24 hours and giving the lid a good tug, just like I do with the mason jars. The metal lid's pop is satisfying, but no guarantee as I've had lids that were indented but only lightly (and temporarily) sealed.

I would *love* to switch to Weck jars but will have to win the lottery first

Happily married, with DS 08.2010
#23 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post
What is the best way to get the Tattler lids off without damaging them?
They recommend the dull side of a butter knife.It's worked fine.I also got a box of extra rings JIC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page