Post Your Canning Jar Hoarding, I mean Collection - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-24-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just moved and put all my canning jars on shelves and took a picture. I'm sure its not as big as other mamas collections on here, but its a start.

http://cathyanddave.blogspot.com/201...ning-jars.html

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#2 of 14 Old 09-28-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
I just moved and put all my canning jars on shelves and took a picture. I'm sure its not as big as other mamas collections on here, but its a start.

http://cathyanddave.blogspot.com/201...ning-jars.html

WOW that is a whole lot of canning jars. I was just blessed with 4 dozen pint jars yesterday - I just need to get lids/rings for them. I have 2 dz quart jars and about 6 dozen pint jars now.

ETA: In the grand scheme of things, considering the amount of canning I'm doing this year (and its my first year) your collection I guess isn't that exagerrated. lol

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#3 of 14 Old 09-28-2010, 12:06 PM

Kathy, that's very nice organization. I have boxes and various solo jars everywhere around the house. I don't even know how many or what I have.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#4 of 14 Old 09-28-2010, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullens_Girl View Post
WOW that is a whole lot of canning jars. I was just blessed with 4 dozen pint jars yesterday - I just need to get lids/rings for them. I have 2 dz quart jars and about 6 dozen pint jars now.

ETA: In the grand scheme of things, considering the amount of canning I'm doing this year (and its my first year) your collection I guess isn't that exagerrated. lol
I didn't realize how many I had until now. I know a lot more folks on here have a ton more, I'm sure most have stuff in them too, wouldn't mind people sharing pictures of that either. If I had a garden this year of my own I'd probably have something up in cans. Next year we want to do a ton of salsa, fermented foods, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
Kathy, that's very nice organization. I have boxes and various solo jars everywhere around the house. I don't even know how many or what I have.
Yeah, that was me until I moved.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#5 of 14 Old 09-29-2010, 08:20 PM

It's so organized! Nothing like my haphazardness...

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#6 of 14 Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
It's so organized! Nothing like my haphazardness...
This is a first for me. Probably won't look like this next year, though I hope that I will be using a lot of those jars rather than organizing and storing them.

#7 of 14 Old 09-29-2010, 10:57 PM

Keep the boxes! Keep the boxes! Otherwise in a year or three when you're trying to shimmy things into the back of your clothes closet you'll curse yourself. Not like I *ahem* know anything about that....

#8 of 14 Old 09-30-2010, 12:19 AM

I probably have as much as you but I'm not even close to being that organized. Most of my jars have something in them though. I made a really stupid mistake of tossing a few empty boxes away a couple of years ago and now when I start accumulating empty jars again (when I use up the contents), I have no where to put them.

Someone should come up with the idea of making specialized boxes made out of something other than cardboard (which weakens over time) to store these things in!

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#9 of 14 Old 09-30-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
Someone should come up with the idea of making specialized boxes made out of something other than cardboard (which weakens over time) to store these things in!
They do. A while back on my Craigslist, there was a guy selling something similar to these, but new. Just wooden crates to fit quart jars. Oh, was I salivating. But hubby could make those for me out of ripped apart pallets.

#10 of 14 Old 09-30-2010, 07:11 PM

NO one EVER gives me mine back!!!! Although, even though I have shelves, they are still are harried scarried here & there...I need to get better at labelling. This year though, I have serious scaled back...I only did 3 jams, applesauce, and like 4 salsas...I'll probably do another salsa or two and maybe some grape jelly...it's too difficult with the baby!

Now, my empty beer bottle collection on the other hand...that's borderline embarrassing!
#11 of 14 Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Keep the boxes! Keep the boxes! Otherwise in a year or three when you're trying to shimmy things into the back of your clothes closet you'll curse yourself. Not like I *ahem* know anything about that....
Yes ma'am. I keep the boxes for everything, but we are now starting to realize boxes for certain appliances in our storage is getting ridiculous. We're going to stay here so I doubt we'll move very far and ever need them again. I can hope can't I. I hate moving.

#12 of 14 Old 12-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Wow, that is quite an investment! Where did you get all your jars from?

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#13 of 14 Old 12-05-2010, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuglyRoo View Post

Mostly my ex-husbands grandma.  She was getting rid of all her canning stuff a few years ago and I took most of it.  I've bought some here and there and then at my wedding last April we used canning jars to drink out of and for the flower arrangements. 

#14 of 14 Old 12-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuglyRoo View Post

I've gotten mine from relatives, friends that know I can, coworkers of my mom's, from the store (nobody really gets rid of 4oz or half-gallon jars!), some from freecycle once upon a time (like 5 years ago when canning wasn't as popular), and most recently, a friend of my aunt's was cleaning out their parent's old house/barn/shed and I scored a good...  hmmm, 350-500 jars (I lost count, but know I can squish 48 quarts in my dishwasher at a time!).  I've already used up most of them, just have one big box left in the garage.  :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page