Tell me about container gardening - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to start container gardening. I'll be in zone 7B. I'll have a deck about 8'x10'. What would you suggest I grow? When would I start growing it? I'm a complete n00b when it comes to gardening.
#2 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been working on planning this too

We are right near the 6a/6b line

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#3 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 02:36 PM

is it part sun? full sun?

You can grow just about anything in containers. for things like lettuce you would want shallower containers. herbs can use shallow containers too unless you are growing multiple plants in one container. Cabbages and broccoli can use a larger container. You can use empty containers to stack underneath small containers to raise them up creating a display of your containers so that they are more 3-dimensional.

Figuring out your container size for what you want to plant is the first step and will help you save money on soil, etc.

Are you interested in vegetables or ornamentals?
#4 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

It will be vegetables/fruits. However I haven't seen the porch yet so I don't know whether it will be full or part sun.
#5 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 05:12 PM

Well, it also doesn't have to be one or the other in regards to veggies and ornamentals. Consider getting some pots with a large opening so that you can fit several different plants of varying heights.

Kale and cabbage with pansies always looks nice. Cabbage with lavender could be pretty too. What you would plant really all depends on the amount of sun that you get there so that is good information to have. Do you know which direction the porch faces? Is it south facing? You could probably figure that out on a google map of the place....
#6 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 01:31 PM

I'm growing some cilantro, cinnamon basil (it's a perennial basil), Mexican tarragon (also a perennial), mint, and parsley. I think I'm gonna grow some greens too

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page