help me save the peas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-17-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started some peas in pots in order to buy some time between planting them and getting the garden ready for the next batch of plants. I am worried that I have waited too long and ruined them. They are getting pretty tall and tangled up with each other because I didn't have a trellis for them yet. Is there anything I can do to untangle them? Is it too late to get something for them to climb? I could always plant some more but I would rather save these. Also, what are some super cheap trellis ideas? I am student teaching so have no income. My boyfriend and my dad are pretty good with tools and things so I could have them put something together for me if I had any idea what I could use. TIA!

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuaqueen327 View Post
I started some peas in pots in order to buy some time between planting them and getting the garden ready for the next batch of plants. I am worried that I have waited too long and ruined them. They are getting pretty tall and tangled up with each other because I didn't have a trellis for them yet. Is there anything I can do to untangle them? Is it too late to get something for them to climb? I could always plant some more but I would rather save these. Also, what are some super cheap trellis ideas? I am student teaching so have no income. My boyfriend and my dad are pretty good with tools and things so I could have them put something together for me if I had any idea what I could use. TIA!
I've always found that even when offered a trellis, peas tend to prefer to climb one another.

You can pick up packs of bamboo poles (5 or 6 feet tall) at most garden centers and make a teepee out of them. I currently have patches of peas ignoring a bamboo teepee, a large triangle tomato cage, and an upsidedown small tomato cage (held down with bricks).
#3 of 8 Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 PM

I am in agreement with the PP I have peas that are completely oblivious to the fact that they have nice cages to climb up... they're just utterly disinterested in them! So no matter wha tyou do, they'll likely still climb up each other, you should be able to just put the whole thing in the ground if that was your plan, and they ought to do fine!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#4 of 8 Old 10-22-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I am in agreement with the PP I have peas that are completely oblivious to the fact that they have nice cages to climb up... they're just utterly disinterested in them! So no matter wha tyou do, they'll likely still climb up each other, you should be able to just put the whole thing in the ground if that was your plan, and they ought to do fine!
Sometimes when my peas get really tall and start falling all over the place, I go out and TIE them to their supports with kitchen string. Then they merrily start growing in any direction away from the support that they can.
#5 of 8 Old 10-22-2010, 06:38 PM

I have a fairly large garden and I don't want to buy treillis for everything so here is what I do for peas: I use branches that have been trimmed from bushes and trees and tie them together to make a tic tac toe kind of grid, put it upright with longer branches going in the dirt. I add string on the grid too: the peas like that a lot. It works very well for me and is very cheap

Mama to T (9/95), A (7/99) and S (2/09) blogging.jpg:
#6 of 8 Old 11-01-2010, 02:56 PM

I have tried to untangle the vines before and found that they are too delicate and end up breaking. But they will grow and make peas okay even tangled up if you give them some support.
I use twine tied into a grid about 4" square and hung from U-type fence posts at either end of the plot. It tends to sag a little as the season goes on, but it all cost less than $10 at my local big box. I get medium-duty twine as the cheapest stuff falls apart after a month or two outdoors and it's time-consuming making the trellis.
Good luck with the teaching!

Happy wife to N and mommy to R (9/2008) and belly.gifnumber two (5 or 6/2011).  blogging.jpg about my garden.
#7 of 8 Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 PM

In the furture direct- sow the peas. They are legumes and don't aprreciate transplanting. Tangles are no biggie, just put some chicken wire near them and they'll climb from there. Don't try to seperate them, you could break the vines.
#8 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 03:19 AM

i keep a roll of curly ribbon on a pole in the garden for tying up messy stuff.

for cheap trellising if you have no branches--paint sticks, string and staples. you'll need to tie your peas to it of course.

if i have stuff get too big and tangled i use trellising to redirect. start with what you can see the end of and follow it in. it's easier than it seems. don't worry if you just get some of it.

i use branches like another poster suggested. sometimes you get a from that too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page