2011 Seed Catalogs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 11-23-2010, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking forward to my new seed catalogs this year since I will have my own garden again.  ROTFLMAO.gif

I went to the resources at the top of the page and clicked on every seed company not associated with the devil and will have a ton of catalogs sent my way soon. thumb.gif  I wish I had remembered sooner since I know Baker Creek usually sends out there catalog usually this week.  From what I hear they have lots of new seeds in their new catalog

I can't wait!!!!!!treehugger.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 11-24-2010, 06:56 AM

I got a pine tree garden and seeds of change.SC has gotten pricey,but PT is still cheap.

#3 of 28 Old 11-24-2010, 02:44 PM

If I ordered from Baker Creek last year, will I automatically get a catalog this year?  Or do I need to request another one?  I was just thinking of this earlier because I was out tidying up my gardens for winter finally.  I'm so excited to start planning for next year already :)

Amy, wife of Ben and mommy of Paul (4/9/07), (7/09) and Charlie (5/13/10)
#4 of 28 Old 11-29-2010, 05:24 PM

I ordered from Baker Creek in 2009 and automatically got my catalog in 2010.  Now I'm excited about getting the new catalog.  I'll have to run over to idig and find out when the new catalog gets shipped.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#5 of 28 Old 11-30-2010, 01:28 PM

Hooray for seed catalogs! The weather is certainly turning here, and I'm looking forward to cuddling up in front of the fireplace with a cup of cocoa and a lap full of catalogs. :) Enjoy those catalogs, Cathy. How big is the new garden?

#6 of 28 Old 12-02-2010, 05:22 AM

I just read that the first Baker Creek catalogs are going to be mailed tomorrow.  Anyone who ordered last year or requested a catalog a month or more ago will be in the first mailing. joy.gif  I can't wait to get mine.

#7 of 28 Old 12-03-2010, 12:57 PM

I just requested a ton of catalogs too! biggrinbounce.gifI can't wait til they all start coming in. So I can start planning.  We bought our first home and I'm planning on having my first garden next year.  At first I was just going to do a flower and herb garden but now I'm leaning towards only planting edibles (well, with perhaps a few exceptions I'd like some cutting flowers too).  I have hopes of eventually having veggies, fruits, fruit trees (if I can find some good dwarf apple, cherry, and peach ones that will grow in 6a/b) herbs, edible flowers, etc.  all growing in our yard.

Any suggestions for a beginner will be welcome, I'm sure that I'll have questions and be lurking around here a lot next spring (You know, when I realize I'm in over my head winky.gif)

I have a lot of ambition, let's see if have equal amounts of gumption! winky.gif

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#8 of 28 Old 12-04-2010, 09:59 PM

I love getting seed catalogues in the mail and planning and drooling over potenial! biggrinbounce.gif

#9 of 28 Old 12-04-2010, 10:18 PM

I can't wait to get my Baker Creek :D

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#10 of 28 Old 12-05-2010, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post

Hooray for seed catalogs! The weather is certainly turning here, and I'm looking forward to cuddling up in front of the fireplace with a cup of cocoa and a lap full of catalogs. :) Enjoy those catalogs, Cathy. How big is the new garden?

Yes, and today it snowed and I was looking at my irish eyes catalog I just got, but it is from 2010, though I needed to get on their mailing list, very nice.  My garden isn't very big this year, maybe 50x50, but still a good size for my family.  orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStream View Post

I just read that the first Baker Creek catalogs are going to be mailed tomorrow.  Anyone who ordered last year or requested a catalog a month or more ago will be in the first mailing. joy.gif  I can't wait to get mine.

Yay!!!!  I hope I'm on that list, but I can wait, that catalog is always worth the wait.  treehugger.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#11 of 28 Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 PM

My Bakers Creek arrived today!

I usually just order from them and seed savers.

I liked some of sandhill preservations stuff, but I am lazy and didnt want to do a mail order:)

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#12 of 28 Old 12-13-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post

My Bakers Creek arrived today!

I got my Baker Creek on Saturday. I'm already working on my list of seeds I *need* for next year's garden. Once again BC put out a beautiful catalog.

#13 of 28 Old 12-13-2010, 03:28 PM

It sounds great, Kathy!

So far, I have only Fedco, and with the storm we had this weekend, I've been through it once already. I am so tempted to order up a Baker's Creek, because it is so beautiful, but I'm relatively certain I'll just be ordering from Fedco this year, so I'd feel too guilty requesting one. *sigh*

#14 of 28 Old 12-14-2010, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thank you for the info on Baker Creek!  Just requested my catalog!  Excited to see Baker Creeks info!

'09   
#15 of 28 Old 12-16-2010, 11:38 AM

I got my Baker Creek catalog yesterday. This is a high point of every year. I already have a pretty lengthy list of tomatoes. I want to try out some of those new "icecicle" variety! LOVE them.

#16 of 28 Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 AM

I'm trying to pull back on my tomatoes this year.  I must have planted 25 different varieties last year.  I think I'll go with just a few varieties this year. 

After looking at their catalog, I really want to try the perpetual spinach chard and the large sweet antigua peppers.

#17 of 28 Old 12-18-2010, 01:24 AM

I got my Baker Creek catalog last week, and my Nichols catalog like 2-3 weeks ago.  'Tis the season!   :D 

Glad BC finally decided to label the photos with whatever variety the item is/was - that was confusing in the past.

(the sad thing is that I don't need a whole lot - between past years of buying/trading/seed-saving I've got a bunch of goods...)

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#18 of 28 Old 12-18-2010, 06:23 AM

never posted in gardening on mdc...but had to share the joy. Got my bakers creek yesterday for the first time and I was literally drooling as I read through it. I never knew love came in the form of a seed catalog. lol. Cannot wait to move in 2 years so that I can have a supersized garden!! Right now I have a small 1/2 shady one row size bed and as many pots as I want....

#19 of 28 Old 12-23-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

I have a pretty big pile going of catalogs.  I think I'm going to wait until my son goes to his dads to start looking through them.

#20 of 28 Old 12-28-2010, 09:26 AM

I have been getting catalogs every week now.My only disappointment has been the price increase in the seed packets. I will be buying a lot less this year and trying to swap seeds with others.

#21 of 28 Old 01-05-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post

I have been getting catalogs every week now.My only disappointment has been the price increase in the seed packets. I will be buying a lot less this year and trying to swap seeds with others.

Me too!  I'm going to buy some from Baker Creek and that's it.  This year I'm swapping my carrot seeds, they make my palms and soles of my feet orange.  Sensitive I guess. shrug.gif

#22 of 28 Old 01-06-2011, 04:56 AM

So far my Bountiful seed catalog has not increased prices. I am going to buy from them this year.

#23 of 28 Old 01-06-2011, 06:56 AM

I'm starting to wonder if someone is intercepting my catalogs. I've still only gotten Fedco, and was expecting at least 3 others.confused.gif I've been through the Fedco catalog so many times at this point, I almost have it memorized.

#24 of 28 Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

I've heard of people having that same problem and it was the mailman himself. 

#25 of 28 Old 01-20-2011, 07:32 AM

I was really starting to wonder, Kathy - especially when the first 2 catalogs I got were the plain black and white, no pictures variety. But Bakers Creek and a couple other pretty ones just showed up yesterday. Hmmm...maybe they were 'borrowed'.... ;0

Anyway, I said I was sure I'd be ordering from Fedco, but Sandhill Preservation looks pretty awesome, and they're more local to me. And Bakers Creek is, of course, begging me to order from it. I may just switch it up this year!

#26 of 28 Old 02-07-2011, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Quote:

Yeah, price increases are hard on a budget! I love Baker Creek and Seed Savers but Pinetree is the best ever! They're prices are pretty incredible (they still sell some seeds for under a dollar a packet) and they have many of the heirlooms and hard to find varieties that Baker Creek and Seed Savers offer. In the 2011 catalog there's also a discount coupon (I forgot how much off) for referring a friend to their mailing list.  And they're a family run company, which is an extra bonus.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#27 of 28 Old 02-08-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Quote:

Yeah, price increases are hard on a budget! I love Baker Creek and Seed Savers but Pinetree is the best ever! They're prices are pretty incredible (they still sell some seeds for under a dollar a packet) and they have many of the heirlooms and hard to find varieties that Baker Creek and Seed Savers offer. In the 2011 catalog there's also a discount coupon (I forgot how much off) for referring a friend to their mailing list.  And they're a family run company, which is an extra bonus.

Thank you for mentioning Pinetree. I'd never heard of them but I just checked out their site. Their prices ARE great. I wish I had known about them before placing my orders from 2 other places. I'll have to remember them for next year...or if I'm able to buy any more this year.  

#28 of 28 Old 02-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Pinetree seeds are also really good quality - I've got seeds from them from several years ago that still germinates and does well. There's nothing like getting an envelope of seeds in the mail when there's still snow on the ground. Best kind of mail ever.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page