Help me plant my indoor planter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-07-2010, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have an indoor planter in our entryway that backs to a frosted glass room divider. There were flourescent lights above, so I bought grow lights to put there (not the ones you see, there are fourescent lights along the top of the glass), as there is not much sunlight despite a large window a few feet away.

photo.jpg

There is no drainage so it needs to be "planted" somehow with plants in removable clay pots. There was a wooden platform (covered in astroturf) that I probably should not have ripped out (only covered the astroturf) as it had been cut exactly to the shape with holes for the pots. But what done is done. So I need to start over again. So, a two part question:

1. How best to fill it, preferably without creating another platform, which would require tools that we do not have (e.g. to cut holes for pots)? I was thinking of filling the bottom with cheap gravel, with a nice layer of stones on top, which would be embedded with double-layered pots (so I can take one out with the plant for watering and leave the other one behind to hold the stones in place). Is there a better way?

2. What to plant there? I would like one or two taller, thin plants and then some shorter ones. They need to survive with the flourescent grow lights and indirect natural light)...If they are in pots, I could obviously let them spend some time out in the yard (haha, like a dog) to get some fresh air and sunlight when I water them (say, one day per week).

TIA for any ideas! I promise to post pics when I am done...

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#2 of 5 Old 12-09-2010, 04:50 AM

I like your idea of double pots surrounded by rocks.  It seems to be the most functional and with the least amount of effort and it will look nice.

Sorry,  I don't grow much that isn't edible so somebody else will have to share their knowledge as I'm sorely lacking in this area. winky.gif

ETA: If I had that I would be growing my herbs and some lettuce in there.  I would love to have an indoor herb garden!

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#3 of 5 Old 12-09-2010, 05:14 PM

Wow, that is really nice.  Does anyone have any great ideas for plants?  I kill everything that I bring inside or eat it.  lol.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#4 of 5 Old 12-12-2010, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post

Wow, that is really nice.  Does anyone have any great ideas for plants?  I kill everything that I bring inside or eat it.  lol.gif

I am not that great with houseplants either, so we''ll see how it goes. I bought my plants but not my rocks...I just chose a selection that were reportedly good with less light...hopefully it will not be $50 bucks down the tubes! I fondly recall my mother's houseplant "graveyard" where the plants that did not survive the once per week watering were put out to pasture in the back yard, near the trash can...they eventually flourished there. But I hope to give my plants a happy and long indoor life...

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#5 of 5 Old 12-12-2010, 06:08 PM

Try a zamioculcas zamiifolia- big name, cool plant. It's a very popular indoor low light or bright light, low care, low water plant. Mine is not picky, and got up to about 50 fronds in a pot 16 inches across. Lovely, they don't even look real. http://www.stokestropicals.com/emerald-fronds-39.htm?gclid=CNXgkdKS6KUCFRNSgwodyB8-1Q Also sansieveria or mother in law tongue. You could also do some begonias for color, but they are a little pickier.

Sansieveria does great in low light, even blooms.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page