Have you decided on your seed order? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 01-07-2011, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I already placed my order to Baker Creek.  I ordered Perpetual Spinach Chard, Orange Bell peppers, crown squash and sweet passion melon.  I was planned to order Sweet Antigua Peppers and got lucky enough to get a lot in trade a couple days before placing my order. 

I'm sure I'll be placing another order sometime before spring.  There are still a few herbs and hard to find items I want to try this year which Baker Creek doesn't stock. 

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#2 of 32 Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 AM

Yes! We're moving to the family farm in the spring and plan to start a market garden (which realistically we think will be a garden for us with a possible stand to sell extras given the fact that we only prepped about 1/4 acre last summer). We ordered from Fedco Seeds and we ordered LOADS. Vegetables, melons (which I'm hoping will work - usually in Northern Vermont the season isn't long enough), herbs, flowers for cutting.

We still need to order tubers. So exciting.

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

#3 of 32 Old 01-07-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovermont View Post

Yes! We're moving to the family farm in the spring and plan to start a market garden (which realistically we think will be a garden for us with a possible stand to sell extras given the fact that we only prepped about 1/4 acre last summer). We ordered from Fedco Seeds and we ordered LOADS. Vegetables, melons (which I'm hoping will work - usually in Northern Vermont the season isn't long enough), herbs, flowers for cutting.

We still need to order tubers. So exciting.

We're doing a market garden this year too. I just put in my seed order but not sure how much of the garden it'll cover.
#4 of 32 Old 01-07-2011, 12:44 PM

I've placed my order with Baker this week too.  :)  We are in MT, so everyone laughs at my earliness! 

Can I ask where you order your seed potatoes?  I really want to try them this year.

#5 of 32 Old 01-07-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaisy View Post

I've placed my order with Baker this week too.  :)  We are in MT, so everyone laughs at my earliness! 

I waited until March last year and half the items I wanted were out of stock. I got my Baker Creek order today and there was a note apologizing for the long wait (I ordered on the 3rd). Anyway, the note said that they have had a major increase in the number of orders this year. My free seeds were love in a mist.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#6 of 32 Old 01-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Yeah, last March they had run out of some I had wanted too.

And I forgot about free seeds!  I LOVE that!  joy.gif

#7 of 32 Old 01-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaisy View Post

Can I ask where you order your seed potatoes?  I really want to try them this year.

A couple years ago we got ours from someone on craigslist. They were a farm just starting out doing with a csa model and these were their extras. We loved the variety.

This year I think we're going to go with Fedco because dh is concerned that the craigslist option might not have what we want when the time comes.

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

#8 of 32 Old 01-13-2011, 01:07 AM

I haven't ordered yet.  Need to.  Lost my Irish Eyes catalog, and haven't gotten my Heirloom Acres Seeds catalog yet.  One thing at a time.   :)

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#9 of 32 Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 AM

I ordered from baker creek and high mowing organic... I'm in florida, so I ordered in December for my spring garden, and already have seedlings under grow lights. I'll be putting everything in the ground in very early march, and a few things in in mid feb. I've already got some things growing nicely in hte gardeen as well.

I'm growing:

Okras: a green and a burgandy

Greens: red russian kale, loli bonita lettuce, and 2 varieties of mesculan mix (high mowing and baker creeks) oh, and bok choy, which I've let go to seed to plant more.

squashes: a large pie pumpkin, a black/striped zuchinni, yellow straiughtneck squash

beans/peas: bush beans, snow peas, mammoth melting peas, pole beans

sweet things: I've planted a cantalope (hales best) and plan to plant strawberries as soon as I build a bed for them (this week!) we have 2 blueberries nad I want to get more. oh, and a small watermelon variety.

cuckumers: for pickling and for fresh

flowers: electron mix sweet william, bachelor buttons, and calendula. I'm lusting after more flower seeds, though.

roots: golden and bulls blood beets, 3'' little finger carrots

tomatoes: about 8 types.... we LOVE tomatoes, and I cannot wait to have fresh garden warm tomatoes for every meal.

peppers: sweet (2 types of bells, red and yellow) and 2 types of hot peppers

Ithink that is all we've got for now, I'll order again for fall. :)

nak!

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#10 of 32 Old 01-23-2011, 11:09 AM

I just ordered from Bountiful Garden.  There were so many choices between all of the seed catalogs I got that I was starting to get overwhelmed.  When I saw that they had seed mixes of several of the veggies I was interested in, I decided that was a good place to start for our first garden.  If I can't figure out what the varieties we especially like are called then I will just do my best to save the seeds. 

Between the start up cost of building the raised beds and getting the soil we need (we have poor drainage so planting without the raised beds wouldn't be a viable option) I had a limited amount of funds left to order seeds so I couldn't buy as much as I would have liked this year.  We still may not come out ahead financially on this "money saving" and health boosting venture.  I figure that everything will be organic (can't afford to buy organic most of the time) and I'll be out in the sun more so the extra start up costs will have to get factored into our hopefully extra health this year.

Can it be spring yet?  We still have a ton of snow on the ground here in 6b. greensad.gif

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#11 of 32 Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 PM

I ordered my seeds yesterday from Bakers Creek and Seed Savers.  I didnt have to order that many this year luckily as I have uhm over ordered the last couple lol.  

My seed list is on my blog.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#12 of 32 Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 PM

I placed an order with Heirloom Seeds two weeks ago and they said their lead time is 45 days MINIMUM.  Ugh.  I really hope I them soon.  I need to start them in February inside or March at the very latest.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#13 of 32 Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

I placed an order with Heirloom Seeds two weeks ago and they said their lead time is 45 days MINIMUM.  Ugh.  I really hope I them soon.  I need to start them in February inside or March at the very latest.

What!? I was just narrowing down my list from them and now I might switch to another supplier! I can't wait that long; I'm in the same boat as you---I was thinking like two weeks? Lame.

Happy and in love with my family!
#14 of 32 Old 01-27-2011, 07:30 PM

Oh wow!  That is long!  I ordered my seeds on Saturday from Bakers Creek and Seed Savers.  Bakers Creek arrived yesterday and seed savers shipped yesterday.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#15 of 32 Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 PM

I think I'm switching to Baker Creek for the veggies and Fedco for the herbs/flowers and maybe some dwarf fruit trees. I better get that order in quick! I can't wait to start some seeds.

Happy and in love with my family!
#16 of 32 Old 01-28-2011, 01:55 PM

From Amishland Seeds, I bought the kitten katastrophe duo tomatoes, Matt's wild cherry tomato, Listada De Gandia eggplant, doorknob sweet pepper, Martin's carrot pepper, Hutterite soup bean, Wienlanderin pole bean, and morning glory madness mix.  From Heirloom Seeds, I bought sugar daddy peas, dark green zucchini, yellow crookneck squash, ruby red swiss chard, luffa gourd, moon and stars watermelon, danvers half long carrot, white egg turnip, yellow sweet Spanish onion, music box sunflower, bellflower (Canterbury bells), Oriental poppy, and zinnia seeds.  Wow, that seems like a lot more I write it all out!  I'm planning an above-ground veggie bed, a root veggie bed, a big strawberry bed, and a small bed for cut flowers, as well as the vine trellises.

The lady at Amishland was very nice in her response to an email I sent her. Heirloom Seeds is saying that it will take them a minimum of 45 days to ship out orders, like others noted.  It seems like forever, but I guess that will still leave time to sprout the ones I need to start early. Our last frost is usually in mid-late May here.

I'm trying to decide between a few varieties of sweet potato, but they'll be from the Sand Hill Preservation Center. I also want to get Romanesco broccoli, but I refuse to pay $3 shipping for a $2 pack of seeds at this point. I'm also having trouble with the concept of paying $10 shipping for $20 worth of seed potatoes (blue and gold), so those will probably be bought locally.  I'm trying to stick to organic, non-GMO, Monsanto-free things, but I doubt the folks at our local Southern States really care about any of that.  Decisions, decisions....

#17 of 32 Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

I got my seed order from Pinetree Garden Seeds a few weeks ago. We ordered -

Wee Be Little Pumpkin (which I'm super glad I ordered on a whim now that I'm pregnant - newborn sized pumpkins!)

Eight Ball Zucchini

Alibi Cucumber

Compatto Dill

Emerald Fall Dichondra

White Snapdragon

Red Snapdragon

Patriot Morning Glory

Rose Finn Apple Fingerling Potatoes (which will be shipped closer to spring)

I also have a few varieties of tomatoes, lettuce, kale, leeks, edamame, scallions and herbs from last year's order to Seed Savers that I'm going to plant as well. I just need to scrounge up enough containers for the patio for all of it!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#18 of 32 Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 PM

I just put in my orders for Baker Creek and Pinetree on Saturday.  I already received the Baker Creek seeds - I'm impressed!  I've never bought from either company before, but their prices and amazing selections won me over!

I put the list up on my blog: Feral Feast

Don't ask what I was thinking - I'm still wondering what I got myself into...ROTFLMAO.gif

Kelsey

#19 of 32 Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 AM

I need to read the whole thread as I ordered from 2 seed co's  month ago, and have gotten nothing yet nor has my credit card been charged. But I got an order from TomatoBob right away, it was great!  He also gave out 3 tomato seed packs for sampling. I loved that. 

Jennie aka Tidbitz

Blogging over here: http://tidbitzearthlydelights.blogspot.com

namaste.gif

#20 of 32 Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM

Oh, good idea to post your seed order on your blog.  I'm ordering from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, since now I'm in the South.  lol.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#21 of 32 Old 02-13-2011, 07:12 AM

I just decided on mine yesterday, and I'm ordering from Pinetree. This is my first year and we're doing a fairly small raised bed garden. We're getting pole beans, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, onions, sugar snap peas, spinach, sweet potatoes, yukon golds, garlic, and tomatoes. I'm also getting a few varieties of flower seeds to add to my collection.

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

#22 of 32 Old 02-13-2011, 11:06 AM

I ordered from Pinetree a couple weeks ago. Mostly greens and a new winter squash I want to try this year.   I didn't need too much this year because I have lots of leftovers from Territorial and Seed Savers from the past couple years.  I buy tomatoes as starts because I don't have a good set up yet for starting warm weather crops from seed (unless they can be direct sewn, like beans, cukes, squash...) - so I need to order those still.  I plan to order a few online that I usually can't find locally, and the rest I'll buy at the farmer's market when it starts up in May.

This year I'm growing (these are just my annual crops):

potatoes (lots!  mostly yukon gold, but also reds, ozette, possibly some fingerlings)

tons of lettuce - different varieties

spinach

kale (lots of lacinato, my favorite)

arugula

leeks

shallots

onions (yellow, red, walla walla)

carrots (a couple varieties)

parsnips

cabbage

fennel (bulb)

cilantro

thai basil

basil

italian flat leaf parsley

shelling peas

beans (have a couple different ones....may just do basic green beans though)

cucumber (pickling)

zucchini (cocozelle)

pie pumpkins

delicata squash

red kuri squash

various tomatoes - mostly paste (8+), a couple Sungold, and a couple small slicing (probably Oregon Spring)

garlic in the fall

I have a perennial herb garden and berry patches as well.

This fall, if all goes well, we will be expanding into our back pasture and will be able to have a much larger garden!  We are hoping to fence it in later summer.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#23 of 32 Old 02-14-2011, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I ordered mine ages ago, wary of long processing times, but southern exposure was quick anyway. I just tilled under the first bed's cover crop so the rye can die and break down in time for an early planting of peas and radishes. The soil looks great this year. I'm going to get started early as possible with my cold weather stuff this year, 2 more weeks and I can begin. They say my potatoes will ship late march. I'lll buy tomato plants again this year from the farmer's market, looking forward to a little greenhouse someday so I have somewhere I can do that myself.

My seed order:

cherry belle radishes

spring mesclun mix

summer mesclun mix

mammoth melting sugar snow peas

danvers and cosmic purple carrots

tender gray zucchini and early prolific yellow squash

contender bush green beans

caribe and rose gold potatoes

mammoth sunflowers

#24 of 32 Old 02-15-2011, 10:50 AM

I still haven't received my order from Heirloom Seeds.  I'm starting to freak out.  Luckily, I have some tomato seeds I saved from last year that I can start just in case mine don't show up until April.  :/

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#25 of 32 Old 02-18-2011, 05:51 AM

I got my order from sandhill. I might order from bountiful gardens since my local soil and water isn''t selling seedlings this year. And I still have lots left over from last year.I love anything that grows tall or is edible!

GIR is cute!

#26 of 32 Old 02-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Oh I love this thread! I am new to mothering community online and loving it. Just reading everyone's seed orders is inspiring and gets me all excited to dig in the dirt! I was looking to see what areas you guys are from since I'm near Kansas City/climate/etc. I love Bakers Creek and Seed Savers!

#27 of 32 Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Welcome, Aimee! What are you growing this year? Are you planting anything yet? I just got my peas in the ground, we've had a lovely warm week out here and peas are quite cold hardy.

#28 of 32 Old 02-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Banned

Another newb to this thread as well!

Hello all! I have been on mothering for a few years but never even peeked down here.

Due to our living situation we can only have a container garden this year but I was feeling ambitious so I just placed our order with Baker Creek. Late yes but better than never.

I ordered a bunch of herbs and several interesting varieties of tomato as well as their yellow wonder strawberries. We'll see how it goes just doing containers. I wish I could really lay a few beds out in the yard but my MIL is crazy and our apartment is on her property. No gardens allowed in the ground!irked.gif

#29 of 32 Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post

Another newb to this thread as well!

Hello all! I have been on mothering for a few years but never even peeked down here.

Due to our living situation we can only have a container garden this year but I was feeling ambitious so I just placed our order with Baker Creek. Late yes but better than never.

I ordered a bunch of herbs and several interesting varieties of tomato as well as their yellow wonder strawberries. We'll see how it goes just doing containers. I wish I could really lay a few beds out in the yard but my MIL is crazy and our apartment is on her property. No gardens allowed in the ground!irked.gif

I read in one of my gardening books that someone used the bags of soil as containers. They just cut 8 to 10 drainage holes on one side of the bag. Lay the bag down (holes on the bottom) and cut an X in the top of the bag, from corner to corner. Water the exposed topsoil to remove salts, let it drain for a couple of days, and then you can plant and mulch right in the bag.

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

#30 of 32 Old 02-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNCTink View Post

I read in one of my gardening books that someone used the bags of soil as containers. They just cut 8 to 10 drainage holes on one side of the bag. Lay the bag down (holes on the bottom) and cut an X in the top of the bag, from corner to corner. Water the exposed topsoil to remove salts, let it drain for a couple of days, and then you can plant and mulch right in the bag.

thank you for that. I have never ever. Even when working at a commercial Nursery and was slinging bags of soil daily (I used to be so buff from that job!) did I consider just leaving the soil in the bag! love it. I think I will try it for a couple of things I'm planting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page