Um...Forgot To Plant the Bulbs! What Now? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, what are my options here?  I had each of my DDs pick out a bunch of tulip bulbs, and then promptly forgot to plant them (or, more likely, procrastinated so long that I totally forgot.)  Can we plant them in pots and grow them indoors?  Or plant them in the spring and have them still grow that spring (we got a mixture of early, mid, and late blooming tulips--truly a mix because they're all in one bag mixed together LOL).  Or do we have to save them until next fall?  Is that even possible?  I'm such a noob.  Help!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#2 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

You don't sat where you live but I've planted bulbs as late as Valentine's day and still had them come up just fine. They bloom later of course, but they look just fine.

#3 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry!  Yes that would be important information.  We live in Maine, so the ground is pretty well frozen :(

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#4 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

How about put them in a container now and then transfer them to the yard later in the fall?

http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Bulbs_in_Containers

#5 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 03:22 PM

We are in Maine also... planted some last year in containers inside and then moved them outside in the spring... :)

#6 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 PM

I've been wondering the same thing about garlic... I bought some beautiful garlic bulbs for planting, but didn't have time to get them out before things froze up.  I know you CAN plant garlic in the spring, I did that last summer and got some cute little bulbs and some cute "garlic onions", but I'd like to get something BIG, you know.  So I was wondering the same thing about planting them indoors... would there be a difference that they're growing in the warmth indoors rather than 'hibernating' outdoors???

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#7 of 9 Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 AM

They need a cold period. So you could put them in a container in the fridge and then plant them in Spring.

Carma

#8 of 9 Old 01-12-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma View Post

They need a cold period. So you could put them in a container in the fridge and then plant them in Spring.

Carma

Yeah, this. There's info online about how long they need to be in the fridge, my brain is saying that six weeks is good. Although, if they are in a bag out in an uninsulated garage or planting shed, that's equally fine. Just plant them in spring.

Of course, the bulbs I planted this fall decided to come up with one day of 50 degree temps in late December. Ugh. I don't even get that . . . it was in the 30s the day prior, the 50s, then the 20s, and I had inch-tall tulip suddenly sprout and freeze.

#9 of 9 Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 AM

If you can find unfrozen potting soil you can plant them in pots outdoors now and they should be just fine.  The only prob with a a fridge is the fruits and veggies give of ethelyne gas that can make the bulbs rot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page