Help me figure this out... Potato Beetles last year, where should I plant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This summer will be my second at this house.  Last year, I had 50 or so tomato plants.  They got potato beetles.  I had to hand pick them from the plants daily.  In 90 degree heat and humidity.  8 months pregnant.

I managed to get rid of them.  The tomatoes didn't do so good, but I think it was mostly because of the weather.

I'm thinking about my garden for this coming year.  Should I try to find somewhere else to plant the tomatoes?  Do you think the fact that I got rid of the beetles by June-ish means they aren't in the ground waiting for my plants this year?

If I move to another spot in the yard, I am concerned the beetles will be there, too.  I only have about an acre, and we're surrounded by corn and bean fields.

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#2 of 3 Old 01-14-2011, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Whereever you put it you can treat with organic repllents, generous application of neem soap or something like that will deter insects. At first I thought you had potatoes and I was going to suggest a beetle resistant variety like King Harry but now I see you want tomatoes. What gets to them anyway might not hit as hard as you fear. And at least you're not pregnant this summer, right?

#3 of 3 Old 01-25-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you for your reply.  I hadn't thought of something to repel them, I haven't used anything like that in my garden for years.  I researched the different options available and think I can come up with a good treatment should they come back this year.

I'm also getting chicks, and hope to let them roam, supervised, in the garden to eat the little evil things.

My garden sure suffered last year from my being pregnant.  Glad I get to enjoy thinner gardening this year!

Once again, Chesapeake me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page