MIssouri gardeners - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a decent size yard in the city. We love to garden but have a lab who reaps the grout of ally hard labor. Any thoughts on gardening with dogs? I don't want to give ip but the only bed she hasnt eaten are my herbs. I am considering moving the garden to containers indoors. Anyone doing that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-20-2011, 07:45 AM

I'm not in Missouri, but I do have dogs. :) A couple thoughts - I think the most obvious is fencing off your garden area, but maybe that isn't practical for you? If your dog doesn't like the herbs, I'd also try surrounding your beds completely with the herbs she doesn't like, hopefully detering her from crossing into the veggie area, or interspersing the veggies with the herbs so she doesn't notice them as easily. Otherwise, I think the container garden idea sounds great - you might also want to try those topsy-turvey type tomato planters - just remember that it'll require more water than an in-ground bed.

Best of luck - hope you find a solution that works!

#3 of 3 Old 01-24-2011, 04:57 PM

Fencing off is the easiest and best..raised beds or container gardening can help as well.

Otherwise, train train train.  Dont let the dog out unsupervised and teach her the boundaries of where she is allowed.  

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page