Planting over utilities? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2011, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any reason why I shouldn't plant over utility pipes? I had them come out and mark where everything was (and every single utility is right where I want to plant), and they said all lines/pipes should be at least 24" deep... and I'm planning on doing a raised bed anyway.

The only thing I can think of is if a water pipe breaks, or they have to dig up lines for some reason, my garden will get destroyed. But I'm curious if there are any other reasons why this might be a bad idea.

I'm considering this because this particular part of our yard (running along the side of our driveway) just happens to be the only spot on our entire property that gets full sun all day in the summer. eyesroll.gif I already have beds on the other side of the driveway- in the main part of the front yard- but they lose sun by about 3pm. So I was thinking I could put a narrow bed on that side of the driveway and put my tomatoes and peppers and stuff over there.

Thoughts?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 06:17 AM

I would totally go for it, especially since you are planning on raised beds. I have some fruit and nut shrubs planted within a foot of mine. I know that if they ever needed to dig the lines up, my shrubs would be gone, but it was the best spot for them in our case, too, so I'm taking the chance.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Oh I always plant over utilities. Be careful when digging, and understand in the very unlikely event they have to work on the lines, they can dig up the area, but really, you can live there 20 years and never have that happen.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Oh good- thanks. smile.gif I think I'm going to take the lazy route and just throw down newspaper under my raised bed rather than digging out the grass like I did with the others. So no digging at all!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:20 AM

I was just going to suggest pots or other decent sized containers.  I can find them at my local nursery - fairly big pots for really cheap.  So then, easily movable.  :D  I don't have anything permanent over my utilities though - we have a water main all along our front yard, a road easement space that's up to 8 feet, in-ground phone and electric, and septic in the back.  After how much work I put into my gardens, with my luck, I'd end up with a dug up yard right when harvests got good.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 01-21-2011, 08:27 AM

I would cautiously proceed with a raised bed.  One of the worst things that can happen is if you break the line digging, you are respnosible for the repair, as it is a home line.  They are only responsible for the meter backwards.  Having your water shut off while you try to figure out how to pay for a couple thousand dollar repair is uncool.  Also, never trust the 24" rule, lots of stuff changes since those lines were installed.

User Tag List