Pumpkin growing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am on the board of our community pool.  We have several events throughout the year, one of them being a fall festival/kids halloween party.  Our budget is very very tight.  I would like to include a pumpkin carving contest and have small pumpkins for the children to paint at the festival.  It is a large, sunny property with ample space to grow our own.  In the past I have failed on pumpkins at home- they always rot out on the bottom as soon as they begin to color up.  This may be due to excessive irrigation (plants at the pool will in general not be watered, but have to fend for themselves).

I'm zone 7/8 piedmont nc, very hot summers, maybe wet, maybe bone dry.

Any tips are appreciated!  Especially concerning the rot issue.

#2 of 7 Old 01-22-2011, 01:04 PM

What fun!  We (my family and our next door neighbors) have tons of pumpkins growing each year with little effort.  We're in zone 5 so I'm not sure how this will work for your area.

A couple of things come to mind.

Is there an area this can happen out of reach from curious or ornery people?  I'd hate for someone to arrive at the pool one day and find smashed pumpkins.

Can you grow them up the fences?

Can you put a sign up that says what they're for to keep folks out of them?

We literally just toss seeds out (or whole pumpkins in the fall) and they grow.  We water them in and off they go.  I don't water and I don't think she does often, either.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#3 of 7 Old 01-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Put the pumpkins up on blocks (or whatever you have around, rocks, whatever) and turn them once in a while. that will help with the rot. I get the same thing here unless I keep them moving.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#4 of 7 Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)

You could try to put a mulch of straw under the pumpkins to help prevent rotting. I've seen it used in most of the pumpkin patches I've ever visited. It will also control weed growth in between the plants.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 7 Old 02-25-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

You could try to put a mulch of straw under the pumpkins to help prevent rotting. I've seen it used in most of the pumpkin patches I've ever visited. It will also control weed growth in between the plants.

This is what I do, or I prop them up with something.

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#6 of 7 Old 03-09-2011, 12:13 AM

Good luck with that - sounds fun! We've grown pumpkins very successfully - I just usually throw the seeds from an old jack-o-lantern out. Haven't had the rot issue, but sounds like a good idea to prop them up or use straw mulch. 

Meghan, mom to 11yo, 8yo, and 3yo 

#7 of 7 Old 03-14-2011, 08:40 AM

I can't help about the rot --- or the zone either --- we're in chilly Zone 4.  But I just wanted to relate my pumpkin growing story from last year.  We have a compost pile in the back of our yard.  We've not spent a penny on it, ever.  We just throw our scraps there on a regular basis, including the old rotten halloween pumpkins from prior years.  Well, last year we had pumpkins GALORE growing directly out of the compost, growing like WILD (these were from the old halloween pumpkin's seeds).  We got SO many pumpkins from our "pumpkin patch" which we never even planted, growing out of the compost heap!  It was unbelieveable.  I could not have done better if I'd tried.  I guess they loved that nutrient rich soil.

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page