finally [finally, finally! :) ] able to start composting.... what should we use? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-07-2011, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we live in a 'multi-family house', and so are unable to have a compost pile. but this year we said forget it, we're starting one anyways :)

we're not going to be in this apartment forever [right? right?! praying.gif], so we want something that's not going to be a pain to move with us. so i was thinking a tumbler. i read a couple years ago though that they're not good, but i don't remember why. is this true? 

also, it has to be something totally non-offensive to the senses--yeah yeah, i know, quality compost doesn't stink. but it ain't pretty and i have sensitive neighbors :) so, for example, the good ol 'stick a wire mesh ring around it and call it a day' is not an option. again a tumbler seems like the way to go for this reason, but again i'm not sure. :)

thanks guys!

[edited to make it a little clearer]

joy.gifplay-at-home mom to eb, who graced us with her presence 3/2010, and hopefully to several more down the road!
energy.gifbaby-dancin like crazy for #2 since julyPeace.gif[darn that bf'ing! winky.gif]
no whey!peace.gif
#2 of 4 Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 AM

nak, sorry...

i love vermicomposting.. you can begin with a simple clear tote, or a more elaborate condo.  the worms are fun, it's neat to watch their lifecycle.  you can even keep them indoors, they don't smell at all.

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#3 of 4 Old 02-08-2011, 09:39 AM

You know, in your situation, if you have garden space I would trench compost. It works well, won't smell and there will be nothing for your neighbors to point at and complain about. You could even combine it with bokashi if you wanted.

I do have an Earth Machine which I use for what I can't trench compost, but it doesn't work very well for me. I live in a new development, so there aren't a lot of browns to be had in my yard or from any of my neighbors, and my unbalanced pile moves slowly. The trenches work much, much better.

#4 of 4 Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

i have never even heard of trench composting. i'm off to google, thank you! :)

joy.gifplay-at-home mom to eb, who graced us with her presence 3/2010, and hopefully to several more down the road!
energy.gifbaby-dancin like crazy for #2 since julyPeace.gif[darn that bf'ing! winky.gif]
no whey!peace.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page