Growing in Hawaii - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2011, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We recently moved to Hawaii from the Pacific Northwest and when we were getting ready to move, I decided that I wanted to start gardening...but I want to garden fruits/veggies/produce and not flowers. I've seen tons of books on growing flowers and trees, but does anyone have any experience growing produce or can point me in the right direction (books, websites, etc.)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Think tropical fruits and heat tolerant veggies. Seasons are completely different for the produce you may be used to. Also depends on which island, and how far up, since there are micro climes and areas that are cooler. There are also import restrictions on plants/seeds into Hawaii. Check with the local county extension office. They should be the first place you look for local growing information. They might have a website too...

Bananas and Papaya are generally pretty easy to grow. Pineapples, but those are slow and fruit every other year. There are so many other fruits, but that all depends on whether you like them or not.

User Tag List