woods find: deer scat - fertilizer? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-19-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've seen deer down my our tot lot and noticed scat yesterday.  Can/should I use it for fertilizer?!  could I just put it into my compost?  or is it like cow/horse manure that needs to cure first?

I also wondered if I could take some of the rich looking soil (I'd guess from broken down leaves and such) back to our yard...  not sure if that's OK - if I just took a bit?  half a wheelbarrow or something?

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#2 of 6 Old 03-09-2011, 10:31 AM

I would suggest asking your state extension service both questions.  If there are any pathogens of concern in your area (either in the scat or the forest litter) they will probably know and be able to advise you better than (for lack of a better term) internet people.  There are probably local regulations about collecting soil from public property, though I don't think anyone will complain about you collecting poop.

Happy wife to N and mommy to R (9/2008) and belly.gifnumber two (5 or 6/2011).  blogging.jpg about my garden.
#3 of 6 Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 AM

As for the scat, yes it will be lovely for your garden!  It is round, correct?  Deer and goats are closely related, and goats have round poo.  It is considered to be cold manure--it breaks down very slowly, and will not burn your plants.  You can apply it directly to the soil around your plants.  I use our goat's poo and our rabbit's poo all the time like that.  Little time-released pellets of gold...

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#4 of 6 Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, ladies.  I researched a bit more and I guess the scat of deer (animals?) in the winter is perhaps less fertilizing than in the spring/summer as their diets are of greener stuff.  sort of makes sense?  Good idea to check w/ the extension office.  I never think of them but should.

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#5 of 6 Old 03-10-2011, 05:06 AM

You sure could use it, I would just wonder if it would be worth it, since you'd really have to hunt for such a small amount!  Seems like alot of work to me for not much product :)

We use alot of llama manure which is the same kind as deer (or goat or rabbit like PP said).  It is low in organic material (lower than horse or cow), which is why it won't burn your garden.  I put the llama manure directly in the beds, you could do the same with deer scat.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#6 of 6 Old 03-13-2011, 05:15 AM

I would recommend getting a pet rabbit instead. I pass on the wild animal poo due to the parasitic load.Even a small lionhead bunny(so cute) will provide a lot of poo. I have a large(and mean) female rabbit who is a serious poo machine.

I would pass on taking the soil. See if you can get some instead from a neighbor,family,or friend who has a wooded area.

I forgot you could also get free poo from petting zoos ,and look on craigs too.People are always happy to give away,but some are starting to see the value and are selling the poo!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page