Food Growing Mamas!!!!! We need to start a 2011 Thread!!!! February - March Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 98 Old 03-14-2011, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, I have grown peppers before, mostly hot peppers. The bell's haven't been very successful.  I do not like peppers, so I don't know about the flavor. I grow them for my DH.  He has no complaints.

Jennifer- wife and mom, dreaming of country living
#62 of 98 Old 03-14-2011, 02:59 PM

That's interesting! I planted bell peppers and jalapenos side by side and didn't notice anything off. I only got about 3 tiny little Bell peppers (they didn't have enough time to really grow before the cold came) and they tasted fine. I don't like hot peppers so DH ate the jalapenos. He didn't mention if they were milder than normal.  

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#63 of 98 Old 03-14-2011, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I had read the same thing about hot and sweet peppers someplace, but in the myriad other books and online sources I've been reading (and it's A LOT), no one else says that, and some even go so far as to show sample garden plans with them in the same bed/next to each other. I'm growing both this summer, so we'll see...

#64 of 98 Old 03-15-2011, 06:07 PM

I think the only problem you will have with sweet and hot peppers together, is if you save the seed.  The plants will cross pollinate, and the saved seeds may not be true to the parent plant. So, for example, if Big Bertha is planted next to a Serrano, the seeds from Big Bertha may produce a "hotter" pepper next year.

Jennifer- wife and mom, dreaming of country living
#65 of 98 Old 03-16-2011, 08:07 AM

Ok, that makes sense. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future if ever I get around to saving seeds! (Still working on getting the peppers to grow properly! lol.gif)

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#66 of 98 Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 AM

I grew over 100 pepper plants last year. I do plant them in one bed and start with the sweet bells and then progressively work my way hotter. I haven't noticed any change in the peppers, but I'm not very sensitive to heat. If my bells had a little heat I doubt I would notice.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#67 of 98 Old 03-17-2011, 06:38 AM

How many peppers did you get from 100 plants? I have about 300 that I'm hoping will sprout.
#68 of 98 Old 03-17-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post

How many peppers did you get from 100 plants? I have about 300 that I'm hoping will sprout.

I planted about 50 hots and 50 sweets.

Hots did really well. I got hundreds of each variety of Fish, Jalapeno, Pepperoncini and Bulgarian Carrot. I got very few of the Jin Jao.

Sweets didn't do as well. I got about 100 mini-bells which I will never grow again. I got a few poblanos, about 25 yellow monsters, 2 chocolate bells (from 6 plants greensad.gif) and maybe 40 red bells.

I planted the sweet peppers in the bed closest to my fence and something was reaching over and taking bites out of my peppers. I'm going to switch it up this year and put the hot peppers over there and the sweet ones where they can't reach them.

#69 of 98 Old 03-17-2011, 01:18 PM

Great thread! I'm going to follow along and live vicariously through you for a while, as the season doesn't get started here anytime soon (I'm a Hawai'i transplant living in SWEDEN). My husband and I tend about 100 square meters of veggie gardens. We experiment with different varieties every year, but one of my main jobs is to steer him away from all the exotics he insists on trying and bring him back to the reliable and tasty cool-weather stuff. (And I'M the one from the tropics, and he's the one from Sweden!)

What I'm reading right now and highly recommend to any gardener and food-lover: Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life"

(35) Teacher, mother to DD '08 + triplets (identical boys and a girl) born at 36 weeks gestation in ´11.  Passions: gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, wild food gathering, reading, kayaking and more.

#70 of 98 Old 03-18-2011, 11:05 AM

I finally received my order from Heirloom Seeds last week.  I started my tomatoes, peppers, and other indoor seeds and now I'm just patiently waiting for them to sprout.  I also noticed that I have tulips in my new front yard!  Yay!  They're my favorite flower!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#71 of 98 Old 03-18-2011, 11:23 AM

I am feeling behind already. I really wanted to have some seeds started indoors already but we’ve yet to dig the window greenhouse out of the garage. I also wanted to have more raised beds made so we could get dirt into them on the soonest sunny weekend. But DH needs to actually build the bed frames using old fencing we have.

But it has been a TON of rain and some windstorms…. And I’ve been sick too and of course just as I get better DH catches it LOL

I did finish buying my seeds and got Golden Beets, Carrots, Mesclun Salad Mix and Green Cabbage. I cleared out things from our 2 raised beds that were leftover from last year. So I can at least get started on planning a few spring things there: peas, beets, lettuce, carrots.

Does anyone garden by the Moon cycle? Seems like a wonderful idea but the best planting days do not always line up with the best weather days or a weekend (if you WOH). At least it’s lighter out later now J

Rhianna

(Oregon zone 8)

#72 of 98 Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 AM

Joining in (if you don't mind!)  Last year we eeked out a very small garden and this year we're getting ready to plant more into our garden.  We're not doing raised beds, just straight into the ole earth.

I just figured out what zone we are (5b) but I'm starting to feel a bit behind in terms of picking out my seeds & selecting what to grow for this year.

Last year we did:

Black Cherry Tomatoes

Other tomatoes (I think a beefsteak & a plum)

Eggplant (which did not do very well)

Radishes (didn't do well again)

Carrots (not terrible, but soil needed to be looser to allow growth)

Potatoes (utter failure)

Onion (utter failure)

Rhubarb

This year I think I would like to try:

Potatoes

Carrots

Radishes

Onions

Tomatoes -several varities

Peas

Cucumbers (for pickling)

Pumpkins

Rhubarb (this has been with us since we've moved into the house)

Several herbs (mint, basil, lemon balm, rosemary, thyme, chives, savory, italian parsley)

possibly some garlic or lettuces for the 2012 season.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#73 of 98 Old 03-18-2011, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Here's my plantings so far.  http://cathyanddave.blogspot.com/2011/03/planting-greens-peas-and-some-perennial.html

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#74 of 98 Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 PM

I am a newbie here, as well!  I just roped off my 3 4x4 raised beds, and ordered my seeds.  I was inspired by our 70+ weather today---but we drop back into the 50's for a few more weeks.  I hope I keep the momentum going and get a good set of plants going.  Please share any and all tips for newbies you have!

Alesha

#75 of 98 Old 03-18-2011, 08:36 PM

So far, we have onions, cauliflower, broccoli, kale and chard seedlings.  I've planted peppers and I can see some of them just barely coming up.

Our snow finally melted, and it looks like my "plant and ignore" approach to overwintering the carrots may have actually worked!  I see green tops that look great, can't wait to dig them up this weekend!

#76 of 98 Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 AM

This is my first time with a "true garden" i have grown a few tomatoes here and there but that's about it. This weekend I got corn, green beans, 3 different tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, strawberries, grapes, mint, catnip and basil planted. I still have left to plant onions, yellow squash, zucchini, sweet peppers, jalapenos, watermelon and cucumbers. I am so excited to venture on this process with my two little ones watching them grow and awaiting harvest day.

#77 of 98 Old 03-20-2011, 11:17 AM

We still have snow on the ground, sitting around since last November.  I am so impatient to get peas and onions in the ground!

the other things on my list for  this year are:

Bell Peppers and tomatoes (starting indoors from seed)

Radishes

Bush Beans

Lettuce Varieties

Tatsoi

Kale (Russian variety and regular)

Beets (Red and Golden)

Swiss Chard

Baby Bok Choy

Basil

Parsley

Okra (last year we planted okra here in MN, and we got blooms and lots of pods!)

Summer Squash (Yellow and Zucchini)

Spinach

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#78 of 98 Old 03-20-2011, 01:21 PM

Thanks for starting this thread Farmercathy! I used to be quite active in this forum but have lived in an apartment with nowhere to garden for several years and eventually tapered off in my posting.

This year my girls and I have joined a wonderful gardening club at a local university. It really is an amazing program. The university is letting the club use acres and acres of land for an all organic co-op type program. Each child gets a 4ft by 4ft raised bed in the children's garden, and families get one or more 4 by 10ft raised beds depending on family size.

However, the community garden is amazing! We will have a huge pumpkin patch next to the children's garden, huge corn field, and we've already planted hundreds of pounds of potatoes. There are raspberries, blackberries, asparagus, horseradish, rhubarb, and grapes already established. We'll be planting hundreds of tomatoes, beans, peppers, squash, gourds, several different grains, you name it, we'll be planting it! It is a teaching garden so there will be some experimenting going on, including 4 kinds of rice, three upland rices even one paddy rice. There are gardening lectures once a week and two community garden work days but anyone can stop by anytime and work on their garden in an absolutely beautiful landscape. Everything is strictly organic and the coordinator of this program is quite fond of heirlooms. Oh, and it's a totally FREE program. All supplies and are supplied, thanks to a grant. You only have to purchase your own seeds if you want to grow something different than what they have. Yay!

In my little bed I already have three kinds of peas, spinach, french radishes, carrots, parsley, arugula, a few onions and some garlic.Yesterday we helped get the frames of two greenhouses built. We helped build the raised beds, too. This is all very exciting and I feel my gardening soul truly coming back to life. I've had to grow stuff in pots outside my apartment but share an entryway and people throw cigarette butts in my stuff and kids have vandalized or stolen my tomatoes every single year. I am most happy that my girls are getting this amazing experience. My older dd remembers mama's garden and working and playing in it, but my younger dd does not, even though she was a little gardening girl at the time, too. So, did I already say how happy I am? love.gif

Anyway, thought I would share with fellow gardeners and subbing. Hope to check in here often and see what everyone is up to!

Happy Gardening!

#79 of 98 Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 AM

Wow, shaywyn, that sounds amazing! Part of the excitement of gardening, I think, is getting to nose around in what others are doing, compare notes, and "show off" a little with one's own beautiful fennel or whatever. I miss that, what with our huge veggie garden in the middle of a field, far from neighbors. I love a community plots (I worked in a large one run by women during my Peace Corps stint in El Salvador), and also front yard veggie gardens. It really brings neighbors together, and allows folks to learn so much from each other.

For all gardeners, old pros and new beginners, this is a great site: http://kitchengardeners.org/

Happy digging!

(35) Teacher, mother to DD '08 + triplets (identical boys and a girl) born at 36 weeks gestation in ´11.  Passions: gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, wild food gathering, reading, kayaking and more.

#80 of 98 Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 AM

Last week was bad for us. I had strep and felt awful and DS1 has mono. This is going to be my week to finally get some things going.

I'll start these seeds today:

orange bell pepper
sweet chocolate pepper
siling cara pepper
yellow monster pepper
yellow marconi pepper
large sweet antigua pepper
gypsy pepper
red marconi pepper
king of the north pepper
banana pepper
poblano pepper
golden greek pepperoncini
jalapeno pepper
fish pepper
serrano chili pepper
white lisbon bunching onion
black beauty eggplant
copenhagen market cabbage
nero di toscano cabbage
romanesco italia broccoli
calabrese broccoli
buttercrunch lettuce

It seems like a lot of peppers, but I'm really cutting back after last year. We had way too many hot peppers last year!

I'll also get more lettuce and spinach going in the cold frame today.

#81 of 98 Old 03-21-2011, 07:22 PM

After a few days of 70 degree weather, this morning we got...snow. We can't plant anything in the ground until May anyway, but had been feeling so productive getting the beds set up and the yard weeded.  Sigh.  I am so very ready for some dirt-digging weather.

treehugger.gif
#82 of 98 Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 PM

Ugh, we just got snow the other day too! So much for the first day of spring. I don't have tons of room in our bay window so I'm sprouting my seeds first in wet paper towels in my nice and toasty laundry room. That way I won't be taking up room in the window/pots with dud seeds.  Of course, if they ALL sprout, I'll still run into the same trouble.  We have to finish building the raised garden soon so I can start some things outside.  I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary, but because of the terrible drainage issues we have it seems to be.  Now I have to finish pricing soil to fill the bed, any suggestions as to inexpensive resources for it?

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#83 of 98 Old 03-23-2011, 11:17 AM

Check your county waste services.  Ours composts yard waste and gives it out to residents for free (I think wood mulch is $7 a truckload).  We paid a lot to a guy that will dump compost in our driveway until we figured out we could get it for free.  (Well, it costs us a six pack to borrow my brothers truck...)

ali

#84 of 98 Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 AM

Ugh --- we just got more snow overnight too!  Finally we were so excited to have seen the grass (after being under snow since November) .... and now all the grass is covered by 6 inches of fresh new snow.  :(  And I was so ready to plant peas!

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#85 of 98 Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I always feel inadequate for joining the Food Growing Mom's group here since I don't have 100's of anything. But I am itching to discuss my little garden! My pea plants are 6" high so far and the radishes are poking up. Waiting on some lettuces and greens to sprout. My Danvers carrot seeds are in the ground, purple carrots will go in the next few days. Seed potatoes should be on their way here any time now. The bush green beans and summer squash I'll plant sometime next month and I'll buy 10 tomato plants at the farm market then too.

The weather here since I started planting the earliest stuff has been flooding rain, then very warm, and now windy and cold. It's been interesting.

#86 of 98 Old 03-24-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliall View Post

Check your county waste services.  Ours composts yard waste and gives it out to residents for free (I think wood mulch is $7 a truckload).  We paid a lot to a guy that will dump compost in our driveway until we figured out we could get it for free.  (Well, it costs us a six pack to borrow my brothers truck...)

ali

You have to be really careful with free compost.  A lot of people use fertilizers and pesticides on their lawn that those get into the lawn clippings, which make up the free compost.  I would only feel safe doing this if I was adding activated charcoal in with it to (hopefully) soak up all the potential chemicals. 

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#87 of 98 Old 03-26-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

You have to be really careful with free compost.  A lot of people use fertilizers and pesticides on their lawn that those get into the lawn clippings, which make up the free compost.  I would only feel safe doing this if I was adding activated charcoal in with it to (hopefully) soak up all the potential chemicals. 

Good point.  After taking that into consideration I called around to a couple of nurseries to see if they carry organic garden soil in bulk.  One carries it for $35/cubic yard (as opposed to buying by the bag at around $70 per cubic yard which were the prices I was finding before).  I'd much rather pay the $100 or so for what we will need and keep my peace of mind about my homegrown veggies not being toxic.  One of the purposes of my garden is to see if we can eat more organic produce for less money (less money eventually, probably not this year with the start up costs), not a great start if I'm getting contaminated compost from the very beginning.

In other news my DS is attempting to sabotage my garden endeavor.  I am sprouting my seeds on paper towels in a tupperware container so I don't waste dirt and window space on duds.  I brought the containers out to check if any sprouting action had begun when the baby required my attention for a minute.  When I came back my DS (2.5) was in the process of shaking up the tomato seed container.  ARGH!  I got a packet each of regular and cherry tomatoes that were a mix of varieties dyed to identify and because I want to try all of them I had them layed out the in the container clearly labeled.  Not anymore.  If I hadn't mixed the two packets (cherry and regular) I'd have been fine but since the colors overlapped, I couldn't tell which green seed was regular and which was cherry.  It still wouldn't have been a big deal if I had more of each of the varieties but for one type I only got two seeds and for another I only got one seed.  I ended up having to restart all except for three varieties, which I can't tell apart but didn't have more of.  Now I have the excitement of waiting weeks to figure out which mystery plant is which.

By the way, I'm still miffed that only the mixed tomato packets had any sort of identification on them.  I was hoping for a least "This packet may contain any of the following varieties" or something on all the packets of mixed seeds and was disappointed to find out that they just say "Mixed _____" without any clue what it may contain.  This summer as things start ripening I'll have a heck of a time figuring out what varieties I'm eating since 85% of what I got was mixed seeds.  How difficult can it be to add something like that to the label? 

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#88 of 98 Old 03-27-2011, 04:19 PM

Hi everyone! I recently joined MDC because we are TTC our first, and have stumbled upon this forum. I'm very excited, having read a bunch of the threads already and realizing what a great sub-forum you guys have! 

I seem to be a black thumb when it comes to non-edibles, but I really love vegetable gardening. This year will be our third season of veggie gardening in four 8'x8' raised beds (terraced, because we built them into a slope). We have had a lot of success, aside from mites on our tomatoes late each season which I haven't successfully dealt with yet. (I'll be asking more on that later). Otherwise we've had: 

• snow and snap peas
  • string and french beans
  • tomatoes (six to eight plants)
  • summer squashes
  • cucumbers
  • melons (amazingly tasty and successful this year, planted on a whim)
  • pumpkin (planted from seed on a lark LATE last summer and got three nice ones)
  • lettuces
  • collards
  • beets
  • turnips
  • radishes
  • carrots
  • spinach
  • hot peppers (serrano, tobasco, jalepeno)
  • dill, parsley, cilantro, basil
  • little deck herb garden of: chives, mint, oregano, rosemary, thyme
  • garlic and shallot cloves - pleanted last Fall and it looks like they over-wintered well. I have no idea what to do with them now that it's Spring.
  • asparagus - planted crowns last year and think I killed them, but maybe they'll come up anyway

I want to make a flower bed (annuals from seed) in my front yard but am really hesitant to do it. I think I do okay with the veggies because I eat them...I think about them every day. But I neglect the landscaping that came with the house, and have never done any flower seeding of my own. I was hoping to sow some zinnias, black-eyed susans, and something else that's shorter, and hope for the best. I really want sunflowers too but I don't know where to put them. I am thinking about marigolds in the veggie beds, but I'm reluctant to relinquish space. 

Anyway, that's my intro. I'm excited to read up on what you are all growing, and hopefully will learn a lot from your experience. 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#89 of 98 Old 03-27-2011, 07:59 PM

I'm so excited to be a new gardener this year!

I have a very small yard and we utilize the space with our outdoor furniture when we have company so I don't have much space to devote to a garden.  I'm going to try my hand at container gardening.

I also took a leap and started from seed:

cherry tomatoes

regular tomatoes (not beefsteak, I forget the type)

cucumbers

zucchini

bell peppers

jalapenos

basil

parsley

cilantro

rosemary

lavender

marigolds

i think that's all. 

#90 of 98 Old 03-30-2011, 01:40 PM

Finally got a few things planted! In the 2 raised beds we built last year I planted seeds for:

Shell peas

Radish

Lettuce

Spinach

Red Beets

Carrots

DH made me a wonderfully useful tool! We use the SFG idea of plant spacing. I noticed a lot of veggies I plant are 9 plants per square foot. I tend to do whole rows though so that is a lot of little holes to make.

DH made me a wooden hole stamper. It has a grid of 9 hole stamps made from a cut up dowl. And it has a handle so I can just stamp on the down the row. DS can follow adding the seeds.

I also checked the Farmers Almanac online for best planting dates – per the moon cycle. I am happy to say most fall on the weekend when I am not working. That is very helpful J

Rhianna

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page