Food Growing Mamas!!!!! We need to start a 2011 Thread!!!! February - March Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 98 Old 03-31-2011, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In my third season of growing, I still haven't ever started seeds inside. I buy plants (which was a disaster last year for my kale and broccoli...I brought in white cabbage butterflies) or start as much from seed in the ground. I think that I'm held back by my lack of setup and lack of knowledge of how to get things going. I do have space in my basement, but I'd need to get lights set up and probably a space heater (it's cold down there). 

Will some of you post pictures of your seedling setups?

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#92 of 98 Old 03-31-2011, 02:10 PM

hey ladies!

so idk if this is going to work but it worked for my younger brother in a different situation and ill let you all know later in the season. here it goes:

a few years ago my brother was getting critters in his shed (im not sure exactly but i think skunk, raccoons cats and such) and he took some dog fur and put it around his shed and the problem went away, he also tried this w/ his FIL's barn/shed and that worked too.

So what im thinking is to take some dog fur and sprinkle it one the outside of the garden to keep critters away so i don't have to spend money on a fence and have to work around it. Does any one have any opinions on why or why not this may work? i am open to any suggestions 

Thanks!

dreadlock mom to Israel 01/23/07bikenew.gif & Titus 07/10/09kid.gif

#93 of 98 Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We have skunks, ground squirrels, and raccoons here as pests, and was told by a garden guy to sprinkle blood meal around the perimeter of the garden to keep them out. I haven't tested it yet, but will be this summer!

#94 of 98 Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 PM

Well, I'm officially The Tomato Slayer. Pretty much all of the 12 or so that I started from seed have died from damping off except for a few hardies that are hanging out in the bathroom window :(

My soybean plants also croaked--I transplanted them right before three days of lashing high winds and kicked myself daily over it while watching the wind slowly destroy them. They were so pretty, too!

Oh well! I re-seeded the soybeans and hope they have enough time to mature in our relatively short growing season--if not, they will still enrich the soil. As far as tomatoes go, I think that I'm just going to buy starts from the local nursery and keep working on starting them indoors, maybe get a grow light and see if we can do an indoor plant for winter tomatoes (I was able to do this with cherry toms for a couple of years).

What's sprouting outside: the first snow peas! and garden peas, too! mustard greens, some green onion bottoms that I stuck in the dirt from our store-bought salad onions, I think a marigold or two, maybe more spinach plants than I'll be able to handle, a few different varieties of broccoli, and our first black-eyed peas! Yay! joy.gif Oh, and my sis gave me four strawberry babies.

I really should start some more seeds indoors, but this is a pretty busy week for me, so I think I'm just going to chill on it and keep watering the outdoor garden.

There's so much that I want to grow! I'm having to reign myself in a bit since this is my first real garden and I don't want to get in over my head.

About the strawberries--where is the best place to plant them? I was thinking of doing those topsy-turvy things hanging in our main garden space coz I'm feeling stingy with the square footage that we have and since I might want to move them to a more permanent place later down the road. Has anyone used the topsy-turvy's? Will my strawbs come back next year if they're in the TT container?

Happy gardening to all!

Happy and in love with my family!
#95 of 98 Old 04-01-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

Will some of you post pictures of your seedling setups?

There are some pictures of mine here

#96 of 98 Old 04-01-2011, 12:06 PM

aliall - Thanks for posting! I have an unused plastic shelving unit just like that! I thought it would be too hard to rig up lighting, but you've proven me wrong. :) I suppose it is too late for me to start seeds now (also zone 5)? I have to admit, I've also been scared that if I start my own seeds and I grow weaklings, I won't get as good of results as just buying transplants at the nursery. redface.gif

I squinted at my bare beds from the house this morning and saw tiny dots of green! My peas, lettuce, and turnips are coming up!!! It is a JOYOUS day when I see the first signs of sown seeds. I get excited like a little kid. 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#97 of 98 Old 04-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Mine is set up like aliall's.  Except instead of them being stacked on a shelf they are next to each other on a banquet table. I have the lights dangling from the ceiling in our basement.  Luckily, this basement had a bunch of nails perfectly spaced for this just sticking in the rafters.  Win!

Craft_Media_Hero- Sorry to hear about the tomatoes.  What a bummer!  Only about half of my tomatoes have sprouted.  I think it's due to my watering technique.  The water sometimes gets splashed in there and I bet the seeds settled somewhere toward the bottom of the dirt.  This makes me want to scream as I waited 50 days for these stupid seeds to come in the mail.  The ones that have sprouted are mostly the ones I saved from last year from non-heirloom organic plants.  If those end up doing better, I may never bother with heirlooms again.  We had quite a few volunteer tomatoes from our compost last year and we saved those seeds too and they are doing well.  *sigh*

I think I may need to start watering my plants from the bottom up again.  I had success doing that last year.  I had to put my coconut pots in a big tub and put the water in the big tub and let it soak up from the bottom instead of watering from the top.  It makes me want to cry having to redo some of these plants.  So much time wasted.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#98 of 98 Old 04-07-2011, 02:53 PM

We got our first things in the ground here this past weekend and I'm excited to see how it turns out. We planted potatoes using a plan for a box that grows with the plants. Supposedly if it all goes well, we can get as much as 100 lbs. of potatoes out of 4 square feet of space. You can read more about it and see pictures here. I'll try to post how it goes.

Our last frost date is still 4-5 weeks out. We're starting seeds this week, but what things do you guys plant out directly this early? I'm wondering if onion sets and carrots, beets, spinach and kale from seed would make it if I sowed them now. Appreciate any thoughts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page